2019 WEEK 3 PACKERS vs broncos GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you guys want 20-25 touches every week for Jones, enjoy it while it lasts, cause you won't have him in December.

He needs to get 2/3 of the touches, he's the No. 1 back. This isn't 2017 split the carries nonsense. If they run the ball 40 times, he gets at least 25 touches. If we run it 25 times, I'm fine with 15 or so. One area where you can give Williams more carries is short yard situations. The 3rd and 1 off tackle or pitch play to Jones hasnt worked much in 2 weeks. Just give it to Williams between the guards and pick up the 1 yard you need to move the sticks. 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

Green Bay has 8 players listed as CB following the addition of Tremon Smith. The only have 3 safeties with the loss of Raven Greene. Last week they used Will Redmond at safety w/ Amos in Greene’s spot. Wonder if Tramon sees some time at S again given the depth at both positions. Of course Sullivan can play a little safety too, but if trying to get best players on the field Tramon at safety could still make sense.

One thing I hope we don't see moving forward is Amos basically replacing Greene. I want Amos playing safety so can make plays all over the field like we saw in Chicago. Playing him in the hybrid LB role seems like a waste for one of your best players. Keep him and Savage together on the back end and find someone else to take Greene's reps until Burks/Campbell return. 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He needs to get 2/3 of the touches, he's the No. 1 back. This isn't 2017 split the carries nonsense. If they run the ball 40 times, he gets at least 25 touches. If we run it 25 times, I'm fine with 15 or so. One area where you can give Williams more carries is short yard situations. The 3rd and 1 off tackle or pitch play to Jones hasnt worked much in 2 weeks. Just give it to Williams between the guards and pick up the 1 yard you need to move the sticks. 

When has Jones showed you the ability to hold up with 20+ touches? He hasn't. Sucks but the guy is on a pitch count until he proves otherwise.

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

When has Jones showed you the ability to hold up with 20+ touches? He hasn't. Sucks but the guy is on a pitch count until he proves otherwise.

I mean, are his MCLs due to overuse? He's never been overused. He could go down with a knee on his first carry or thirtieth. I don't think there's really a correlation there.

Again, it's game by game and situation by situation, but I'm not sacrificing a game in September by keeping him on the bench for a series in a close game because I'm thinking about December. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

he BARELY got out of Chicago cleanly. when i saw him wince on the sideline i assumed the worst. CHI is his bugaboo for  some reason. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, are his MCLs due to overuse? He's never been overused. He could go down with a knee on his first carry or thirtieth. I don't think there's really a correlation there.

Again, it's game by game and situation by situation, but I'm not sacrificing a game in September by keeping him on the bench for a series in a close game because I'm thinking about December. 

I was going to write something similar.  His injuries are not due to fatigue.  I also have not seen him wear down as a back when he gets high volume.  I'd agree that 20 touches is probably ideal, but I hate to limit one of our most explosive players.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He's been hurt both seasons and in both training camps he's been the starter. Yes I'd say it's safe to say his soft tissue injuries are from usage.

It's really not as big of a deal as you guys make it out to be. The workhorse back is dead in the NFL, unless you're a specimen like Barkley.

Regarding Jones.....  Please.  No touches over 20.  Keep that guy healthy.

Instead, let Jamal pound the rock early.  Save Jones for a little later when the defense is a little gassed after hammering on Jamal.  Jamal is tough and can take it, and probably enjoy it.  Sure we won't get explosive plays, but I think he'll move some chains.  Then bring in Jones and see what happens.

Also...Jones had two games that were very physical.  I wouldn't mind giving him more or less a "breather".  Meaning...if we are up and running to get out of the game, let's not use him on those plays.  And....maybe we pass more.  Open it up a little bit.

I think in the long run, a healthy Jones towards the end of the year is a pretty important thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

He's been hurt both seasons and in both training camps he's been the starter. Yes I'd say it's safe to say his soft tissue injuries are from usage.

It's really not as big of a deal as you guys make it out to be. The workhorse back is dead in the NFL, unless you're a specimen like Barkley.

If we are going to take carries away from him we could use another back with some explosion to his game.  Jamaal has shown himself to be limited as a rusher.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was going to write something similar.  His injuries are not due to fatigue.  I also have not seen him wear down as a back when he gets high volume.  I'd agree that 20 touches is probably ideal, but I hate to limit one of our most explosive players.

This isn't about overuse or getting tired for a game and then getting hurt. It's about limiting the total opportunities to take shots and get hurt. 

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Jones.....  Please.  No touches over 20.  Keep that guy healthy.

Instead, let Jamal pound the rock early.  Save Jones for a little later when the defense is a little gassed after hammering on Jamal.  Jamal is tough and can take it, and probably enjoy it.  Sure we won't get explosive plays, but I think he'll move some chains.  Then bring in Jones and see what happens.

Also...Jones had two games that were very physical.  I wouldn't mind giving him more or less a "breather".  Meaning...if we are up and running to get out of the game, let's not use him on those plays.  And....maybe we pass more.  Open it up a little bit.

I think in the long run, a healthy Jones towards the end of the year is a pretty important thing.

Agree. Plus Jamal is a more accomplished pass protector.  It'll help keep Aaron upright. Flacco will be this weeks Jay Cutler- three INTs easy.