2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

30 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

For quite a while now I have seen Hurts as a Dak Prescott with better wheels type talent. The guy has moxie, moreso than Baker and Kyler, and is a mature leader who could step in immediately and succeed IMO. I honestly wasn't ever that high on Baker or Kyler. I thought Mayfield was a marginal athletic talent with a surprisingly accurate arm at the 2nd level whos development into even an adequate QB depended on maturity (Which I actually thought he would do, but this year he is proving me wrong). Kyler was more exciting but I still am hesitant to trust him with a 2 minute drill and don't trust that he has the 'it' factor.

I think Hurts is made for big games and that his short memory allows him to make mistakes and forget about them (A hugely important trait) in ways that Mayfield and to a lesser extent Kyler really lack. I don't draft guys for being leaders unless they possess the necessary athletic traits to be good players too. Hurts has both and will be a guy that teams rally behind and love to play with. Having lots of talent around you shouldn't be overly penalized IMO. I just watch him and feel good about his chances in the NFL. I don't say that often w/ QBs.

Dak is a pretty really good comp.  The thing is, and I say this in all seriousness - Dak's a bus driver.   He succeeds when the OL is giving him time, and he's got weapons that separate.   He doesn't make great reads, slow in his progressions, often is late in seeing the WR hit the open window, and with any pressure, he folds like a cheap tent.  What he can do is extend plays with his mobility, and his RPO reads are really strong, for sure.    This year, with his OL back to Pro-Bowl guys at 4 of the 5 positions, and Coop/Gallup providing him 2 weapons, I'm not surprised that he's thriving.  But he's still the same guy that is a mirror of the guys around him more than he is the straw the stirs the drink.  

When DAL loses Cooper, or a T goes down - his play suffers a lot.   All of the above weaknesses return in a huge way (as opposed to when an elite guy gets pressure, he creates, and a when a really-good-but-not-elite guy faces it, his play doesn't go down dramatically, only marginally to moderately).   That's telling.   I don't want to derail the Dak convo too much - but I look at the Dak comparison as REALLY apt - but a reason to not take a guy like that Rd1.   Dak going Rd4 was perfect for DAL - but when they pay him 30M+, a huge part of his advantage goes away.   I don't like committing that much capital to that kind of player as my QB, either in salary or in Rd1 draft capital.   

All of which to say - Hurts being a Dak-but-faster comp is very sound.  But it's also a reason why it's not worth the Rd1 pick IMO.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dak's a bus driver.   He succeeds when the OL is giving him time, and he's got weapons that separate.

Preach !DaK is a game manager top 15 one, the oline is the motor and Zeke is the wheels that keep that offense churning. 

Once Zeke blows out a tire, or the oline ages that system will fail to operate even if I want that same system here lol.

I would take Dak Prescott on this team in a heartbeat, warts and all. I was super high on him before the Paxton debacle, and nothing has really changed. Playing QB in the NFL is hard. It's why there's so few elite options. He's a good player. If Hurts turns out anywhere near Dak, he was a solid pick for whomever drafts him.

I also like Hurts and would love to have him on this team. I like Burrow as well, Burrow probably tops in the class. I did read an interesting Justin Herbert article today I found interesting. Obviously a lot of excitement on him has cooled, but in a vacuum, his completion % numbers and TD/INT ratio are way up this year vs. last. He has next to no weapons. I'm not advocating for him, but I do think it's interesting that he's improved in some key areas that are decent barometers for NFL success.

I am down on Tua though. I don't see him as a better option than Hurts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I would take Dak Prescott on this team in a heartbeat, warts and all. I was super high on him before the Paxton debacle, and nothing has really changed. Playing QB in the NFL is hard. It's why there's so few elite options. He's a good player. If Hurts turns out anywhere near Dak, he was a solid pick for whomever drafts him.

I also like Hurts and would love to have him on this team. I like Burrow as well, Burrow probably tops in the class. I did read an interesting Justin Herbert article today I found interesting. Obviously a lot of excitement on him has cooled, but in a vacuum, his completion % numbers and TD/INT ratio are way up this year vs. last. He has next to no weapons. I'm not advocating for him, but I do think it's interesting that he's improved in some key areas that are decent barometers for NFL success.

I am down on Tua though. I don't see him as a better option than Hurts. 

Keep in mind though that Dak is the best-case comp - no one in a draft class is a lock to hit their ceiling, but Dak's outcome matches Hurts' strengths as best-case.    The worst case is something a lot lower.    

Tua's a much better thrower than Hurts - but the athletic differences that would give him a clearer edge (like Kyler) aren't clearly going to be there if the injuries keep piling up (and the limitations may in fact already be there now - 2 tightrope procedures, 1 on each ankle, is NOT the standard - that hints to either really bad win-now management by 'Bama, or a more serious issue).  Either way, I agree that this is one year I'm glad we don't get to pick 1.1 for a QB (but I'd love to have Andrew Thomas at about 1.3 - 1.5, but that's not happening either).  Tua's got so much draft status as 1.1 invested, it would be a mild upset if Burrow surpassed him.  I do think Burrow may end up being far more successful in the end, however.

Sadly, I don't think we are in range to pick Burrow.  I think he's going to be the safest of the top 4 who go this year.   Tua we won't sniff.   If it's down to Hurts & Herbert....man.   Rd1, no thanks.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Agreed. In a redraft, Dak would easily be a top-15 pick. That's how important having even an adequate QB is. Dak is adequate, slightly above average, and worthy of a top-15 selection in a redraft.

Hurts is similar to Dak, but his escapeability is better and his arm more dynamic IMO. Dak was a 4.8 guy. Hurts is 4.5. That's a big difference. He is going to be a 500+ yards on the ground per season guy.

Ya, Burrow is going #1 IMO. He is the best prospect, but also worrying in is single season sample.

Tua is, to me, similar in talent to Baker Mayfield. Mediocre tools but an accurate arm, specifically at the 2nd level. A mature Baker is a quality prospect, but still closer to top half of R1 than top pick overall.

Herbert scares me, but its probably recency bias w/ Paxton and Brock still in my mind. He has tremendous tools and pretty great accuracy. Oregon QB's have a terrible track record though, but on the other hand their system is quite a bit different nowadays. He is such an easy thrower, looks effortless coming out at all levels. I just question his moxie and feel for the game.

As the resident Lock realist, its worth noting that all these guys are way better prospects than he. Pocket jitters are the second hardest trait to correct after the in-correctable accuracy issue. Lock has them in a bad way, and his accuracy isn't too great either.

Edited by BroncosFan2010

38 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

As the resident Lock realist, its worth noting that all these guys are way better prospects than he. Pocket jitters are the second hardest trait to correct after the in-correctable accuracy issue. Lock has them in a bad way, and his accuracy isn't too great either.

Lock at 42 is a wayyyyy better Gamble than Herbert top 5. Herbert has a greater chance of becoming Bortles than Derek Carr.

Keep in mind he's gonna go to a baddd team worse than we are.

If they don't go QB in 2020, one guy who could be a fast riser headed into 2021 or 2022 will be UCLA's QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson. He has as much upside as any QB prospect in college football from a physical standpoint. Absolute cannon of on arm and has flashed the ability to make every throw. And offers the speed and elusiveness combination of guys like Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson to extend plays. Only his 3rd year even playing the position and you can see clear and consistent improvement even if it comes slowly in some areas. Still plenty of frustrating up-and-downs within games where he'll have bad misses, but in the macro the overall improvement has been huge and he could be really special if his current trajectory continues. Will start at least one but hopefully two more years in Chip's offense, largely with the same personnel because UCLA is really young. 

He's just starting to get a feel for the pocket, stepping up with pressure around him and throwing from different platforms.

Edited by BroncoBruin

15 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

Good resource for people to make quick mock drafts and have some idea of value around the picks. 

Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa

Austin Jackson, OT USC

Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan

Brandon Jones, S Texas

Charles Snowden, LB Virginia

Cole Van Lanen, OT Wisconsin

Raequan Williams, IDL Michigan State

Justin Strnad, LB Wake Forest

Kendrick Rogers, WR Texas A&M

Impossible to find a good CB early . Many WR after 3 round.

If you want a CB you need to test the FA with the great possibility you overpaid him