2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think the arm strength is average at best but it's the only major gripe, and I'd rather sacrifice the arm strength than I would accuracy, intangibles, mobility etc. He is money under pressure. Knows how to get to whatever platform he needs to throw an accurate ball, and has the mobility to escape. That's an elite quality IMO and not one you usually count on from college QBs. 

What kinda arm strength would you compare it too? Because Peyton Manning had an average arm imo. Processing defense's and accuracy are where he made his money. 

Herbert's back to being unspectacular again...at home.  Against a team that's played him a lot and knows his tendencies.   But is also clearly talent-deficient compared to Oregon.

Man, I just don't see top 5 pick material in him.  Or even Rd1 at all (I know, I know, Rd 1 doesn't matter if you are 5 or 25, if he's a true franchise QB, you don't worry lol).  

The scary part is that given Elway's history with following Herbert closely, he's probably the guy that would be most interesting to him.  And I cannot deny the physical traits and tools are there.  But his pro-level skill set is so underachieving in relation to his tools and the supporting cast he's given.  And this is after 3 full seasons as as a starter (37th start).   The stats look so shiny - until you see where he's accumulating them against.      His deficiencies are masked by the ridiculous windows his O creates for him to throw to.  Last week was the exception - but for 1.5+ seasons, when it's been a tough matchup or tight throw, it just hasn't been there.

Still, there's over a half-season to go, so hopefully we get to see more games against good teams to get a better feel.  But I have to admit that it's hard to get excited about Herbert as a Rd1 guy IMO.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Man, I just don't see top 5 pick material in him.  Or even Rd1 at all (I know, I know, Rd 1 doesn't matter if you are 5 or 25, if he's a true franchise QB, you don't worry lol

He can't read a zone, he's slow to process things I could go on forever. 

Elways gonna give Lock a year audition before he'd pick Herbert he is not that stupid.

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

His deficiencies are masked by the ridiculous windows his O creates for him to throw to.  Last week was the exception - but for 1.5+ seasons, when it's been a tough matchup or tight throw, it just hasn't been there.

He's the opposite of Drew.  Drew can make right window throws he probably forces them too much in college, Drew also had a weak sauce supporting cast compared to Herbert.

Both have more footwork imo in college. 

They both have strong arms that's where the convo ends.

Justin Herbert reminds me of every other Oregon qb. Mariota, Harrington, Akili Smith, etc.

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He's the opposite of Drew.  Drew can make right window throws he probably forces them too much in college, Drew also had a weak sauce supporting cast compared to Herbert.

Both have more footwork imo in college. 

They both have strong arms that's where the convo ends.

Justin Herbert reminds me of every other Oregon qb. Mariota, Harrington,etc.

Both Lock and Herbert look awful vs. pressure, though.   So not really the opposite of Lock in that skill set.  

Herbert's footwork and mechanics are way more advanced than Lock.   And he's got placement / touch - but in clean pockets.   Pressure him, and he bails....so....early.   I don't have a problem if this was his 1st/2nd year...but this is his 37th start.  And by calendar, his 4th year.   

It's REALLY disappointing, because after his sophomore year he really was the darling.   If he made as much progress in Year 3, he'd probably have gone 1.1 or 1.3 (Bosa should have been 1.1 all along but ARI was going QB).   But Herbert's made such little progress over 1.5 years.  On that O and with his tools...that's scary.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Herbert's footwork and mechanics are way more advanced than Lock.

Maybe I'm mistaking footwork too pocket awareness I think Herbert really lacks in this department maybe more so than Drew again haven't seen a ton of Justin.

I agreed with your post even the pressure line, but last night all I kept seeing was Herbert bailing a clean pocket lol.

He's already "seeing ghosts,"  then the announcers hyppppped up an easy read throw in zone that I could of made, and tbh it took Justin too long to find the throw it was open right in front of him for about two seconds before he made it. It was alarming seeing Justin Herbert play it made me appreciate the Lock pick at 42 more regardless of what he becomes if that makes sense. 

Watching Herbert play was like hearing a new mix tape and knowing right off the bat that ain't it lol (lev Bell) . I don't have to see the competition ha.

Edited by thebestever6

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'm on the Burrow or Hurst bandwagon right now. Burrow gets rid of the ball quickly and Hurst can avoid pressure. It seems that you have to one or the other skill set in today's NFL where I don't think you have three seconds to get rid of the ball from the pocket. 

I haven't watched Hurst too much avoiding pressure is a great skill set, but you still wanna see him operate an offense and get the football to the right guy. If he can do that at an adequate level than I'm all for him or Burrow as well.

How's Burrow as an athlete? Does he have a necessary skill set to run a pocket moving offense? One that sets up the pass?

That's one thing I loved about Drew in preseason he did a little pump fake throw on a pocket moving run I'm not sure if it worked. But, it's nice to have a good actor in this offense to take that part of the game seriously lol. If you can take out a backside defender that might get you 15 extra yards at the end of the run if it breaks to daylight. 

Might also get you a 70 yard pass later in the game ( see Grudens qb camp with favre.)

Edited by thebestever6

10 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

So any thoughts on CB Lamar Jackson to replace CHJ. Great size (6'3") and length for a CB and could probably get him on 2nd day.

I wanted him when I saw the tankathon website just so when Denver plays Baltimore in a playoff game one day I can make a bet with someone that Lamar Jackson will win the game.

If he's a good talent on top of that sure.

• Like 1

How about this guy for a sleeper. He plays safety, is 6'2" and weighs 217lbs. He's been timed at 4.41 in the 40, has a 3-cone of 6.7, broad jumped 11' and verticle of 40". His biggest drawback, he's a small college guy. His name is Kyler Dugger, my #1 perfect sleeper....so far. Realistically, I just came across him but sure seems tempting with one of our 3rd Day picks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

How about this guy for a sleeper. He plays safety, is 6'2" and weighs 217lbs. He's been timed at 4.41 in the 40, has a 3-cone of 6.7, broad jumped 11' and verticle of 40". His biggest drawback, he's a small college guy. His name is Kyler Dugger, my #1 perfect sleeper....so far. Realistically, I just came across him but sure seems tempting with one of our 3rd Day picks. 

I’ve never heard of him. I’ll have to check him out.