NBA GDT | '19-'20 | RIP KOBE "BLACK MAMBA" BRYANT

champ11

I just don't get why Bol Bol fell so hard. Look at how skilled and productive he is...is anyone really surprised that he looks so good? Ducks fan is right, he should've gone in the lottery right around the spot where MPJ went.

Seriously there are just some players that fall for head scratching reasons. I remember being so jealous that the Heat took him and they trade the pick like it was nothing! I'm well aware that he's a stick and had a foot injury, but he's so skilled I don't even care.

Kid just needs to learn how to pass and he'll be a star.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I just don't get why Bol Bol fell so hard. Look at how skilled and productive he is...is anyone really surprised that he looks so good? Ducks fan is right, he should've gone in the lottery right around the spot where MPJ went.

Seriously there are just some players that fall for head scratching reasons. I remember being so jealous that the Heat took him and they trade the pick like it was nothing! I'm well aware that he's a stick and had a foot injury, but he's so skilled I don't even care.

I mean he had/has serious injury concerns. That's not a head scratching reason to fall to the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Yea but MPJ went at the tail end of the lottery, and his injuries were arguably worse.

Wings are more valuable than bigs, so that's why teams were more likely to take a flyer on him than Bol. 

IIRC, MPJ was also more highly regarded going into college, so he was starting from a higher peak and was less likely to fall as far.

13 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I have the intel on this. It's a mixture of a few things. Obviously injuries are a concern with his size and body, so that is a factor. But definitely not the only factor or even the main factor. 

A HUGE piece of it is the fact that he was such a project. It's A LOT on the coaching, medical, and development staffs to take a guy that has played 8 college games, coming off an injury, that needs at least one red-shirt year. There was no way he was impacting right away. A lot of guys don't have the job security or guts to take a dude like him (or MPJ) early when there is a) a huge injury risk and b) payoff in over a year. It's a huge investment in something that may not pay off and it's definitely not going to pay off within 1-2 years. Longer than a lot of these dudes making decisions might be employed.

Another factor is the scouting on Bol. He's a quiet kid and definitely fell into the stereotype that often follows talented bigs that they don't love basketball. One of his biggest on court questions is his motor and general intangibles/IQ so that was another factor. I think front offices were scared to take a project that also has "character" questions - though to me they might not have been fair based on what I know.

So moral of this story is....the Nuggets front office, coaching staff, and development team deserves a ton of credit for putting themselves in the position to gamble on these guys. And obviously it makes most of the rest of the league look dumb in hindsight. And now the Nuggets have 2 guys where if they pan out ..... we're looking at multiple championship type ceiling .... and if they don't it's kinda whatever. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Bol Bol is probably more talented but he joins Caruso and Tacko Fall as minuscule bench players or end of the bench players who will get Mahomes and LeBron level coverage. So annoying.

content / engagement culture on social media stinks 

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

lol Bol Bol has a good game in a meaningless scrimmage and we're acting like he should've gone in the lottery? Everyone pump the brakes. He'll be a decent bench guy.

speaks on overreacting to a scrimmage - immediately predicts his outcome as a player in the following sentence