2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Dude, if I went any further than that then my whole post would be dismissed as cultural Marxism or something. Choose your battles!!

Easy with the political takes....especially since they have no relevance to the discussion taking place. There's nothing about MLB that remotely resembles Communism or Marxism.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Easy with the political takes....especially since they have no relevance to the discussion taking place. There's nothing about MLB that remotely resembles Communism or Marxism.

There is something inherently political about our argument. It’s a nihilistic idea that sports are just another business that exists to make profit, without regard to virtues like competition and fun.

It’s bad enough that fans have less leverage against greedy owners than ever, but now there’s a whole subset of us who’ve rationalized their greed into a good thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

There is something inherently political about our argument. It’s a nihilistic idea that sports are just another business that exists to make profit, without regard to virtues like competition and fun.

It’s bad enough that fans have less leverage against greedy owners than ever, but now there’s a whole subset of us who’ve rationalized their greed into a good thing.

It's a uniquely American thing too. Go to an Arsenal bar and start defending Stan Kroenke using that team as his little piggy bank. You'll get the **** kicked out of you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Opinion noted but this is incorrect and a total stretch.

And....btw.....baseball is a business.

I'm fortunate to have become a NYY fan (cudda been a Met fan....holy **** would life have sucked then) and I'm certainly having fun. I dont feel used, abused or neglected because my team/organization has put out at the top levels - spent - and the results have been far more rewarding than A LOT of other teams. Comparatively? Outside the "early days" (Jerry Kenny....Jake Gibbs...et al) - or since the days of George - it's been nothing but a party.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's a uniquely American thing too. Go to an Arsenal bar and start defending Stan Kroenke using that team as his little piggy bank. You'll get the **** kicked out of you.

It’s our American “politics of eternity ”as my fave historian, Tim Synder, puts it. Or Randianism...or a misinterpretation of Adam Smith. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Opinion noted but this is incorrect and a total stretch.

And....btw.....baseball is a business.

I'm fortunate to have become a NYY fan (cudda been a Met fan....holy **** would life have sucked then) and I'm certainly having fun. I dont feel used, abused or neglected because my team/organization has put out at the top levels - spent - and the results have been far more rewarding than A LOT of other teams. Comparatively? Outside the "early days" (Jerry Kenny....Jake Gibbs...et al) - or since the days of George - it's been nothing but a party.

One word: Complacency.

Our experience as Yankees fans is objectively worse than our parents’ and grandparents.’

The Yankees franchise does not contextualize their success based on the Mets, or any other team for that matter. They exist on their own plane in American sports.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

4 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

One word: Complacency.

Our experience as Yankees fans is objectively worse than our parents’ and grandparents.’

The Yankees franchise does not contextualize their success based on the Mets, or any other team for that matter. They exist on their own plane in American sports.

One word: Fantasy

5 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

This is no longer correct. The NYY are no longer the only organization with "big pockets" - those days are over - and all are being guided by the current CBA - which in total is the crux of your argument. You dont deem the CBA valid (or binding) on all teams. I do and when they renegotiate a new one - will deem it as valid and binding.