2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

4 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I love the potential of our lineup especially if we put Travis Shaw in 3 hole which would be the best place for him to bounce back

Biggio (L)

Bichette (R)

Shaw (L)

Vladdy (R)

That's a quality top 4 but I feel we need another LH Bat. Putting Shaw between Bichette and Vladdy would allow him to see quality pitches and could trigger 2017/18 Travis Shaw 

The Blue Jays are going to be a pain in 2020. The future of TB and TBJ are so damn bright that the ALEast might have the 4 best teams in baseball in 2021. 

18 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

The Blue Jays are going to be a pain in 2020. The future of TB and TBJ are so damn bright that the ALEast might have the 4 best teams in baseball in 2021. 

Tampa keeps robbing teams in trades

The Archer deal was robbery and I love the Pham deal. Yanks, Jays and Rays core gonna be together for a long time. Back to the AL Beast come 2021 lol 

21 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

There is zero justification for a Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs fan to favor “targeted spending.” Framing this as anything other than cost-cutting for the owners is laughable.

The Yanks’ payrolls throughout the 2000s propped up an aging core to playoff status when they otherwise had no business there.

Nothing “guarantees” a World Series, but it’s Hal’s fiduciary responsibility to the fans to try and put the best roster on the field. There’s no way to really enforce this responsibility in the age of TV contracts though, and many fans are content in treating franchises like Fortune 500 companies, despite receiving no dividends or joy from an increase in profitability.

Capitalism is supposed to increase prosperity and freedom, not exist for its own sake.

source.gif

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Are you a Koch brother?

How has it been proven that lesser spending teams are able to consistently be as successful as the big spenders?  There are plenty of small markets that have 2-3 really good years where they compete, but are then followed by several uncompetitive years where they have to restock their farm.  It's cyclical with them, and is a necessity.  There doesn't need to ever be a cycle with the big markets, as long as they are run correctly.  The Yankees are doing the right thing right now, by spending big time and still caring about amateur player scouting and development.   

What? The Royals made two WS in a row like less than 6 years ago and are *checks notes* Oh.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

What? The Royals made two WS in a row like less than 6 years ago and are *checks notes* Oh.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Just because the Mets have sucked royally for the majority of your existence doesnt disprove the data I've supplied.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

Here is the real question here, why do you care about how much money your team spends in an uncapped sport?

I dont. What I care about is the organization making good baseball decisions within the framework of the current CBA. Will the NYY go broke if they carry a 300M roster? Probably not - but its a bad baseball (and business) decision. Does it affect me personally? Not one bit.

Funny Twitter comment by some LAD fan after (either....) they'd not signed Cole or Rendon (not sure which): "What? The $8 Dodger Dogs wasnt enough?"

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont. What I care about is the organization making good baseball decisions within the framework of the current CBA. Will the NYY go broke if they carry a 300M roster? Probably not - but its a bad baseball (and business) decision. Does it affect me personally? Not one bit.

Funny Twitter comment by some LAD fan after (either....) they'd not signed Cole or Rendon (not sure which): "What? The $8 Dodger Dogs wasnt enough?"

The Yankees under George were notorious spenders and I wouldn’t say that was bad for business. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Why do you care if spending $300M on payroll is a bad business decision? Unless there is an actual salary cap, there is ZERO reason for fans to care about any business other than winning.

Are you just going to reply that spending $300M doesn’t guarantee a World Series, therefore you’re better off not trying to amass the best roster?

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

The Yankees under George were notorious spenders and I wouldn’t say that was bad for business. 

This is very true but (and not to relive the days of George and the many bad baseball decisions he made....) the economics of baseball has changed since his time.  The comp has grown considerably.

Again - the NYY - since the time of George have ALWAYS been a top spender. Always and forever. NYY fans can only ***** and whine they're not over spending enough (!!!!) Its really funny when you consider it  -  but I appreciate the organizational changes that moved past that indiscriminate spending and rebuilt the scouting department (domestic and international) and minor leagues - and - (again) work within the current CBA.

That agreement changes - I'll want the organization to be guided by it as well and so long as they remain sharp with their baseball decisions - they'll be more than competitive - as they have been for a long, long time.