the green bay packers vefrsus the detroit loins 2019 MNF (week 5): the return of the incomparable tony brown PART DEUX

FinneasGage

which button man is gonna corral the packer city magic when it mattes most in the game   

38 members have voted

1. 1. which button man is gonna corral the packer city magic when it mattes most in the game

• rubella martin
    • korean robinson
    • brett swine
    • diondre borrelia
    • jake tonedburger
    • tori gouty
    • jamarko symptoms

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It's so easy to manipulate people and this is proof.

Booger McFarland threw a childlike tantrum on national television and we're still talking about it... Really

Yep, this is the only reason it's such an issue. Announcers get to control the narrative and in this case it's a blowhard who doesn't understand the rules and went off on an ill-informed tantrum and people drank it up.

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It's so easy to manipulate people and this is proof.

Booger McFarland threw a childlike tantrum on national television and we're still talking about it... Really

I made a post two days ago stating how badly I miss the old days when TV announcers who were calling the game, would just very matter-of-factly announce the penalty - with Zero color analysis about the call, much less 45 seconds of instant replays in slow-motion from 5 different camera angles.  Booger McFarland and others before him in recent times have stirred this debate to a feverish boil, and fans are eating it up.  And sadly, I just don't see this method of operation by the TV big mouths changing anytime soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yep, this is the only reason it's such an issue. Announcers get to control the narrative and in this case it's a blowhard who doesn't understand the rules and went off on an ill-informed tantrum and people drank it up.

I mean, the NFL agreed that it wasn't a penalty and shouldn't have been called...

16 minutes ago, Leader said:
23 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Well we actually tied the Vikings, but even still they are not comparable situations. The roughing the passer didn't effectively end the game. We even had a chance to kick a game winning fg as time ended and we missed it lol

We've already had this conversation and I disagree we wouldnt have won the game has this flag not been thrown.

We're leading 29-21. Late 4th

(1:45 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right intended for S.Coley INTERCEPTED by J.Alexander at MIN 23. J.Alexander to MIN 18 for 5 yards (G.Iloka). PENALTY on GB-C.Matthews, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at MIN 25 - No Play.

Now - you dont think we'd have closed this deal. I think it would have been a slam dunk.

MN continued that drive and scored the game tieing TD and two point conversation. I say - they either wouldnt have gotten the ball back or it would have been a two score game by time they did.

You're right, we have had this conversation, where we discussed there was an error with that ticker information. The ball was intercepted on OUR 18 yard line, not Minnesota's. They had 2 timeouts with 1:37 left, so yes, it was unlikely they win. But they had the opportunity to get the ball back with approx 40 seconds left down 8. After all, the Vikings did score a TD on that drive in 1 minute and 6 seconds using 1 timeout, so it's not unreasonable to think they could have scored one in 40 seconds. 

Either way, it was not the same situation as the Lions game. 

Eh, I’m really not so sure that officiating has degraded so much as people’s ability to second-guess it has increased. We not have a high definition,high-framerate camera on just about every player at all times when they’re on the field, as well as angles on the goal lines and first downs. This wasn’t true even 10 years ago. We have a sizeable online community that trafficks in clips that are now easily attainable. That wasn’t the case either 5 years ago. Prior to a few years ago, if you wanted to go back and take another look at a lot of these things, you had to have gone to the trouble to record it beforehand and then have to find a way to get that recording into a sharable format. NFL’s highlight reels for games were two minutes long and in 480p, only available on their proprietary viewer.  Now they have a 10 minute highlight reel from every game in HD on youtube. Certainly things like rule changes have made their mark, but I think a huge part of the current debate about these calls is that there’s a greater ability to scrutinize them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I honestly don't think Booger had anything to do with it. It was a game ending call that, on replay, was clearly not a penalty. I believe the outcry would have been the same regardless. (As Sasquatch pointed out: it was likely a culmination of years of criticism towards the poor officiating.)

Not a chance.

Most would not have cared one bit. If he didn't b**** and moan, nobody would be talking about the hands to the face penalty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Eh, I’m really not so sure that officiating has degraded so much as people’s ability to second-guess it has increased. We not have a high definition,high-framerate camera on just about every player at all times when they’re on the field, as well as angles on the goal lines and first downs. This wasn’t true even 10 years ago. We have a sizeable online community that trafficks in clips that are now easily attainable. That wasn’t the case either 5 years ago. Prior to a few years ago, if you wanted to go back and take another look at a lot of these things, you had to have gone to the trouble to record it beforehand and then have to find a way to get that recording into a sharable format. NFL’s highlight reels for games were two minutes long and in 480p, only available on their proprietary viewer.  Now they have a 10 minute highlight reel from every game in HD on youtube. Certainly things like rule changes have made their mark, but I think a huge part of the current debate about these calls is that there’s a greater ability to scrutinize them. 

Great point. Hard to disagree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It really happens everywhere, especially politics. People have such high esteem for personalities that they take their word as gospel. And if you repeat things enough, people start to believe it. 

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Interesting take. I'd like to respectfully ask: do you feel that the second Flowers penalty should have been called?

I really don't know to be honest. I don't think it would've been egregious to call or not call a penalty there.

My point is that if McFarland didn't make a big deal, nobody would be talking about this. 

I do think having the rules analysts available on broadcast teams is a very good idea honestly because announcers across the board have a D+ level knowledge of the rulebook. Most people are going to trust what they hear on the broadcast about a call being good or bad and never consult the rulebook and it just leads to recurring myths and dumb conversations without someone there to fact-check. 

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I really don't know to be honest. I don't think it would've been egregious to call or not call a penalty there.

My point is that if McFarland didn't make a big deal, nobody would be talking about this. 

Fair.

I'll say that I don't think many hold Booger in high regard. I think many believe that he's loud, obnoxious and verbally clumsy.

I also think that any penalty that ends a game will be scrutinized, especially when replay shows that it clearly should not have been called. Calling such a penalty and essentially ending the game would've led to backlash, irregardless of the teams involved. (As Sasquatch said, the recent criticism towards officiating likely plays a role here.)

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

who cares

there are wrong calls in every game. This one was made into a storyline by a loudmouth announcer.

I think you're giving Booger way too much credit. Any wrong call that ends a football game will receive national attention, just as they have numerous times this year and last.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think you're giving Booger way too much credit. Any wrong call that ends a football game will receive national attention, just as they have numerous times this year and last.

Your point about the NFL speaking out about it is simply a symptom of the environment created by Booger controlling the narrative. Without the drummed up and feigned outraged, the NFL doesn't issue a statement.