the green bay packers vefrsus the detroit loins 2019 MNF (week 5): the return of the incomparable tony brown PART DEUX

FinneasGage

which button man is gonna corral the packer city magic when it mattes most in the game   

38 members have voted

1. 1. which button man is gonna corral the packer city magic when it mattes most in the game

• rubella martin
    • korean robinson
    • brett swine
    • diondre borrelia
    • jake tonedburger
    • tori gouty
    • jamarko symptoms

This game comes down to defense for us. I see the Packers being in the 20-24 point range without Adams and Detroit having a better defensive plan than Dallas. So if our defense shows up like they did against Minnesota, we win. If they look like the Philly game, we lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

This game comes down to defense for us. I see the Packers being in the 20-24 point range without Adams and Detroit having a better defensive plan than Dallas. So if our defense shows up like they did against Minnesota, we win. If they look like the Philly game, we lose.

Detroit doesn't have near the talent Dallas has on defense and that is no slight against them as few teams do have Dallas defensive talent. 

Things that give me concern:

- Savage being out in the deep middle. Redmond is a liability. Maybe we move Tramon there for this game. I'm not a fan of Redmond in deep coverage. 

- Detroit can run the football and keep our offense off the field. WE have be able to stop Johnson running the ball. 

- Amendola in the slot. I think King and Alexander match up well with Golladay and Jones outside. 

- Burks drawing coverage against Hockensen. I assume Burks is going to get a lot more snaps if Redmond is the deep safety. He's going to get schemed into coverage against Hockensen. Is he up to the challange?

- Who steps up at WR? If Tonyan is out that is a big loss because Graham and Lewis scare nobody down the seam. Most of our passing production is going to have to come from the WR position. 

56 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Detroit doesn't have near the talent Dallas has on defense and that is no slight against them as few teams do have Dallas defensive talent. 

Things that give me concern:

1 Savage being out in the deep middle. Redmond is a liability. Maybe we move Tramon there for this game. I'm not a fan of Redmond in deep coverage. 

2 Detroit can run the football and keep our offense off the field. WE have be able to stop Johnson running the ball. 

3 Amendola in the slot. I think King and Alexander match up well with Golladay and Jones outside. 

4 Burks drawing coverage against Hockensen. I assume Burks is going to get a lot more snaps if Redmond is the deep safety. He's going to get schemed into coverage against Hockensen. Is he up to the challange?

5 Who steps up at WR? If Tonyan is out that is a big loss because Graham and Lewis scare nobody down the seam. Most of our passing production is going to have to come from the WR position. 

I've numbered your concerns in order to properly address them:

1. This is actually my biggest concern. I don't think we move Tramon, but we see more Chandon Sullivan. 

2. We lather, rinse, repeat what we did against Zeke last week.

3. Not concerned at all. Amendola is questionable for this game and if he plays, I doubt he has much impact on the game at all. Look at his game log from this year. Plus, our pass rush on obvious passing downs...

4. Hockenson is questionable for this game as well and hasn't done much. I know we were all obsessed with him as a prospect, but he's still pretty green. 

5. I think our offense rivals that of New England's this week as it did last week; lots of run plays, lots of screen passes. Jones looked like a speedier James White last week TBH. I think we recreate that scheme this week unless we send MVS on a bunch of post routes.

Packer . Com: The Packers' coordinators met with the media on Friday in advance of Monday night's game vs. Detroit.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine

(on Oren Burks’ first action)

Guys were calling him fresh legs. We liked his energy. His role primarily was going to be on special teams, and then I think on the one kickoff, B.J. Goodson and Ty Summers both got nicked up and we had to throw OB in there and he made a tackle on his first play. It’s good to have him back. The depth at that position, with him being out, was something we had to work around.

(on Will Redmond)

Will did some really good things. He’s a guy that had some plays, wanted one back against Philly, and he really responded well. He’s been dialed in. Dallas had hurt a lot of people on the option play, it’s something we invested a lot of time in, and he couldn’t have played it any better. It was good to see him make a play. You saw him make a play on the punt, and you see a guy’s confidence grow. Whatever his role is going to be, he’ll be ready.

(on the pass rush)

It’s a pretty good group, as evidenced by the results. You ask those guys or Coach Montgomery or Coach Smith and we’re leaving some out there. As far as groups that I’ve coached before, this has to be up there. One group in Buffalo, we had pretty high pressures and sack numbers.

(on adding new talent)

It’s a players’ league, and that’s what I learned a long time ago. Scheme is important, coaching is important, but it’s about players making plays, especially in crunch time. Teams are going to try to get the ball to their best player. That’s the NFL. As a coach you want your best talent available. We’re in the business of playing the hand that’s dealt to us, and it’s our job to maximize on the output of who we have out there. If you have injuries, you move on, and that’s the league. I think we’ve hit a home run with the free-agent additions. They’ve all exceeded our expectations, and they all bring different types of leadership.

(on the Dallas comeback)

It’s a good lesson for our guys, because you can’t relax in this league. The two-play drive, the quick one that hurt. We needed to make them earn those and make sure we were staying on top. It’s something we have to learn from.

(on Jaire Alexander’s game vs. Cowboys)

Anytime you get beat on a double move, it’s just all about your eyes. One thing Coach Simmons and Coach Downard preach is eye discipline. It’s not just Jaire. He’s so into it and wants to do so much and wants to win so badly, he wants to peek elsewhere. We try to bring those guys back. Do your job, good things will happen. That’s what those guys have to learn sometimes.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Wes Hodkiewicz:  CB Tony Brown (hamstring) returned to practice Saturday morning.  Davante Adams, Darnell Savage and Robert Tonyan not practicing

I didn't expect ADams or Savage, but Tonyan is disappointing because I think he's somewhat critical with Adams gone. Who steps up on offense this week? 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I didn't expect ADams or Savage, but Tonyan is disappointing because I think he's somewhat critical with Adams gone. Who steps up on offense this week? 

Tonyan's YTD:

4 receptions on 6 targets for 66yds (16.5avg)
2 plays of 20+ / long of 28yds / 3 first downs