MKE Bucks Thread | Griffin ousted as HC after 43 games; Glenn takes over...no, not that one.

beekay414

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Giannis is 11/27 (40.7%) from 3 over his last 8 games. If you expand it to 11 games, it's still 13/34 (38.2%). Promising. Very promising.

While there is a benefit for a player of Giannnis' stature making 3s, I believe it may take him away from doing other things he is very good at. Like getting in the paint and making shet happen. Even if he improves his 3, I am always more concerned (against my Celtics) when he is in attack mode.

So my questions to you is, How bad do you really want GA to improve his 3?? How important do you really think it is?

Edited by resilient part 2

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

While there is a benefit for a player of Giannnis' stature making 3s, I believe it may take him away from doing other things he is very good at. Like getting in the paint and making shet happen. Even if he improves his 3, I am always more concerned (against my Celtics) when he is in attack mode.

So my questions to you is, How bad do you really want GA to improve his 3?? How important do you really think it is?

I want him to get good enough that when he hesi's at the 3 point line, defenders actually jump. 

3 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Certainly, if he can do a better job drawing out 6'10" ish defenders 5 feet further out just to respect a little more threat of a 3, will make it that much easier for him to drive on someone likely to be a few orders of magnitude less athletic than he is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

How important is it for any player to have a better ability/treat to shoot from 3?   if the answer for any player is yes, then it is for Giannis as well.  

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How important is it for any player to have a better ability/treat to shoot from 3?   if the answer for any player is yes, then it is for Giannis as well.  

I think a better answer to that question is it depends on who and what they provide. Going back obviously some time but I remember Bernard King was totally Unstoppable in the lane where there was a post up or slashing through him not having a three-point shot didn't stop him from getting his 50 points per game. I know today's NBA is different and I absolutely do love shooters. Once Upon a Time Kevin Garnett with shooting threes back on Minnesota. But he got away from that stuck to the mid-range driving in posting up and doing all kind of moves around the basket because that kind kept the pressure on defense where is a 3-pointer is often a bailout and a Defender would prefer that. Not saying anyone's wrong about Gianna's and his 3-point shooting just making a point of preference.

Different players but I can't imagine Karl Malone pulling up 3-pointers when he constantly pounded the defense down low .Giannis has put a hell of a lot of pressure on a team defense once he gets inside that free throw line that's all I'm saying

Edited by resilient part 2

I think a better answer to that question is it depends on who and what they provide. Going back obviously some time but I remember Bernard King was totally Unstoppable in the lane where there was a post up or slashing through him not having a three-point shot didn't stop him from getting his 50 points per game. I know today's NBA is different and I absolutely do love shooters. Once Upon a Time Kevin Garnett with shooting threes back on Minnesota. But he got away from that stuck to the mid-range driving in posting up and doing all kind of moves around the basket because that kind kept the pressure on defense where is a 3-pointer is often a bailout and a Defender would prefer that. Not saying anyone's wrong about Gianna's and his 3-point shooting just making a point of preference.

Different players but I can't imagine Karl Malone pulling up 3-pointers when he constantly pounded the defense down low .Giannis has put a hell of a lot of pressure on a team defense once he gets inside that free throw line that's all I'm saying

If he is able to consistently hit 3s at a respectable rate, it only makes him more dangerous. Players guarding him would have to step out to defend him which would make it even easier for him to get to the rim. Nobody is saying have him take 5+ 3s per game. Just saying, if he can continue to shoot over 35% from 3 on 2 or 3 attempts per game, it's only going to make him even more dangerous.

So you are saying that a player adding another skillset to their overall package is a bad thing?

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So you are saying that a player adding another skillset to their overall package is a bad thing?

Not necessarily but I tend to think some players who have discovered a new way of scoring changes from what made them a great player. Just using a small example Blake Griffin has expanded his game to the three-point line but now he takes way too many shots from the outside and doesn't pound them like you used to on the inside is he doing better now perhaps but I like them a lot more when he was in the Clippers staying closer to the rim, just my opinion

16 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Not necessarily but I tend to think some players who have discovered a new way of scoring changes from what made them a great player. Just using a small example Blake Griffin has expanded his game to the three-point line but now he takes way too many shots from the outside and doesn't pound them like you used to on the inside is he doing better now perhaps but I like them a lot more when he was in the Clippers staying closer to the rim, just my opinion

Blake Griffin can't score inside as well now because he's not the same athlete he used to be. Also, his TS% is a career high this year (59.5%) on a career-high 3-point attempt rate.

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

If he is able to consistently hit 3s at a respectable rate, it only makes him more dangerous. Players guarding him would have to step out to defend him which would make it even easier for him to get to the rim. Nobody is saying have him take 5+ 3s per game. Just saying, if he can continue to shoot over 35% from 3 on 2 or 3 attempts per game, it's only going to make him even more dangerous.

again Yes and No. There is that benefit as you describe. But I remember when Lebron, mid career, starting to make significant improvements in is shooting had moments and games where he just settled. I fear Giannis more when he attacks often. I hope he settles against us is my point.