MNF: Lions at Packers

Malfatron

who wins  

17 members have voted

1. 1. wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/15/2019 at 12:33 AM

1 minute ago, theuntouchable said:

Like I said before, no one here is denying that. I will be one of the first to say they never should have allowed it to get to that point. The Lions drove on them all game long and stalled out in the red zone. That is completely on them. 

Well, not completely on them. When one team gets flagged for having 12 men on the field in formation (on 4th and 5, leading to a TD), and the other team gets to call a timeout when they have 13 men on the field in formation, leading to a sack and punt.

Also, the Lions last FG should have had more opportunities to get into the endzone, but a badly missed DPI stalled the drive.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

It is a foul if an offensive blocker:

1. Thrusts his hands forward above the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the head, neck, or face; or
    Note: Contact in close-line play is not a foul, unless it is direct and forcible, or prolonged.

Want to go ahead and read that last word for me?

Sure, if you want to go ahead and read the line right before that. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forcible

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It is a foul if an offensive blocker:

1. Thrusts his hands forward above the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the head, neck, or face; or
    Note: Contact in close-line play is not a foul, unless it is direct and forcible, or prolonged.

Want to go ahead and read that last word for me?

How about the 2nd to last word? lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Like I said before, no one here is denying that. I will be one of the first to say they never should have allowed it to get to that point. The Lions drove on them all game long and stalled out in the red zone. That is completely on them. 

I just don’t think a game should have ended like that. The calls that happened earlier in the game are whatever to me. There was time left and an opportunity to win. The call at the end of the game completely took away any chance Detroit had. 

im also flabbergasted that someone is legit trying to defend that call. 

Scoring all those field goals instead of TD's didn't cost Detroit.  If the refs called the play at the end there correct Detroit gets another chance to drive down and go for the game winning field goal.  Detroit got robbed a chance to win the game.  But the Packers did what they needed to win as well.  Who knows how the game would of played out if the correct calls were made.

I never understood this idea of Team A deserved to lose because they scored field goals.  New Orleans scored 1 TD and 2 field goals this weekend and won.  Did they deserve to lose because they didn't score TD's on the drives they had field goals?  Someone explain this to me please. 

Edited by waterfish_21

5 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I’ll try and take my leave as gracefully as possible. And my apologies if I was being an ***. If teams were reversed, I’d be upset as well. I just really don’t like blaming the refs and I’ve really tried to stay away from it as much as possible, not to say I’ve been perfect in that regard. Teams have 60 minutes to get their work down, if they can’t, blame should be on them. Did the refs effect this game? Obviously. Should it take away the entire rest of the game? No. These refs have been bad for years and throughout those years, you can point to every team that got hosed or screwed at least a couple times. It’s a part of the game now and every team deals with it. 

I used to subscribe to that theory. I was probably one of the few not overy critical of the NFC championship no call for the above reasons stated.

However, all this does is gives the refs an excuse to do a bad job. Teams are fully capable of blowing games themselves. The refs are not there to guide in that.

Im not going to go back and read the whole discussion but not calling 13 men on the field is absolutely ridiculous. I have no dog in the fight as im sure GB got the bad end of some calls as well.

1 minute ago, waterfish_21 said:

Scoring all those field goals instead of TD's didn't cost Detroit.  If the refs called the play at the end there correct Detroit gets another chance to drive down and go for the game winning field goal.  Detroit got robbed a chance to win the game.  But the Packers did what they needed to win as well.  Who knows how the game would of played out if the correct calls were made.

This is a mentality that I've developed as well. I don't care if my team scores TDs or FGs: I want my team to win. If they score 0 TDs, 600 FGs and finish the season 16-0, I'm thrilled.

The Packers held a lead for 0 seconds. If the game was not ended by a bad call, the Lions likely kick another FG and win the game. That's the disappointing element.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No way is an NFL official going to call a glancing blow to the facemask like that. He would be throwing a flag every play.

You admitted it slowed him down. What exactly is forcible if causing the the player's speed to change isn't forcible?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Finish reading the thread

I did.

Contact in close-line play is not a foul, unless it is direct and forcible, or prolonged.

You love the last word, but, as pointed out, like to ignore the second-to-last word. Prolonged is not a requirement. If it is direct and forcible, but not prolonged, it's still a penalty. That's what "or" tells us here.

• Like 2