Denver trades WR Sanders to 49ers

RaidersAreOne

Just now, straighthate said:

Goodwin is second with 11 receptions. Deebo has 15, Pettis and Bourne both have 9. No one has multiple TDS. Goodwin is not exactly lighting it on fire either. He’s had big drops in the last couple games and it’s only a matter of time before he’s hurt. 

Agreed no ones doing much, but I think a pick and unloading his salary is more valuable at this point. We’re gonna end up having to get rid of one of these guys anyway when Taylor’s back. Bourne probably, and I don’t see Goodwin that far above him, especially not when you include the cost and who has trade value.

Receptions aren't really a meaningful stat to me. He leads the team in receiving yardage from the position. Pettis also has bad drops in the last few weeks and has been completely shut down for most of the season. At any point in time, any one of the receivers could have stepped up and taken the job from Goodwin, and nobody has done it. The minuscule amount we would save on his salary isn't really a reason to trade a guy who has so little value that it would be amazing to get more than a 6th or 7th for him anyway. The things you listed are the same thing other teams see. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Are we sure this guy is just a one year rental though? What will he even fetch on the open market at his age? 

Do I think that we will look into a contract with him? Absolutely. Do I think that we will re-sign him? Not if he wants something comparable to what he makes now (10m), and that's where the problems start. He certainly deserves that kind of salary, but I don't think that we can afford to give it to him unless we are definitely checking out on AA and others. 

Just now, Forge said:

Do I think that we will look into a contract with him? Absolutely. Do I think that we will re-sign him? Not if he wants something comparable to what he makes now (10m), and that's where the problems start. He certainly deserves that kind of salary, but I don't think that we can afford to give it to him unless we are definitely checking out on AA and others. 

Well, you've been gunning for Paraag's job on the podcast, so now's your chance. Figure this ish out! 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, you've been gunning for Paraag's job on the podcast, so now's your chance. Figure this ish out! 

I'm on it. I've already made 15 million appear out of thin air. I can make another 10 happen for Manny for a year or two. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Receptions aren't really a meaningful stat to me. He leads the team in receiving yardage from the position. Pettis also has bad drops in the last few weeks and has been completely shut down for most of the season. At any point in time, any one of the receivers could have stepped up and taken the job from Goodwin, and nobody has done it. The minuscule amount we would save on his salary isn't really a reason to trade a guy who has so little value that it would be amazing to get more than a 6th or 7th for him anyway. The things you listed are the same thing other teams see. 

Yeah agree to disagree on that one. Someone who has more stat knowledge know who’s leading in 3rd down receptions? I can’t find it anywhere. 

Not a fan of this move. A 3rd and a 4th for a half year rental of a 32 year old WR? Ugh. Wouldn't have minded simply a 4th for him but that 3rd (despite it most likely being a late 3rd rounder) is still too much in my opinion.

Oh well. Hope it turns out for the best.

Off-season wise, highly unlikely but if WR Amari Cooper somehow hits UFA, that's who Lynch and Shanahan should go after 100%. In his prime, is skilled and talented, pure team mate and locker room guy with a good head on his shoulders.

12 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Yeah agree to disagree on that one. Someone who has more stat knowledge know who’s leading in 3rd down receptions? I can’t find it anywhere. 

James = 3
Goodwin = 2
Pettis = 2
Bourne = 2
Samuel = 1 

Those are the ones that resulted in 1st downs. Deebo has two that did not. Nobody else has a reception that didn't result in a 1st. 

2 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Not a fan of this move. A 3rd and a 4th for a half year rental of a 32 year old WR? Ugh. Wouldn't have minded simply a 4th for him but that 3rd (despite it most likely being a late 3rd rounder) is still too much in my opinion.

Oh well. Hope it turns out for the best.

Off-season wise, highly unlikely but if WR Amari Cooper somehow hits UFA, that's who Lynch and Shanahan should go after 100%. In his prime, is skilled and talented, pure team mate and locker room guy with a good head on his shoulders.

He's back!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, Cooper would be great! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Goodwin - 2 targets, 2 receptions, 20 yards on third down, both resulting in 1st downs. 

Bourne - 5 targets, 2 receptions, 33 yards, 2 first downs

Pettis - 4 targets, 2 receptions, 16 yards, 2 first downs

Deebo - 6 targets, 3 receptions, 16 yards, 1 first down

Richie James - 6 targets, 3 receptions, 63 yards, 3 first downs. 

31 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Just Goodwin's presence on the field, defense have to put a safety on his side. His speed has to be accounted for and that in itself, is valuable....regardless of the production. He has a skillset no other WR on this roster posses and it really helps the passing game. When you put on the All-22 and watch how defenses play w/o Goodwin on the field versus when he's in the line-up, its nite and day really. And alot of the attention he gets in coverage opens alot of stuff for Kittle as well. It isn't always about numbers and stats. But I do recognize he needs to pick it up here, as of late.

As far as the trade....I understand it. Don't love the comp but he does bring steady play to the group. I've maintained though that the problem isn't really with the WRs as much as its the guy throwing them the ball. I know guys haven't been consistent catching the ball and have had some drops. But I watch very good WRs drop balls they should catch every week, around the league...every team deals with untimely drops. We'll see how much of a difference this actually makes for the passing offense. But I still feel Jimmy HAS to be better, no matter who we trot out at WR, for us to really be a contender.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Maybe the 49ers throw the rock more. 

Hope not. Maybe while the tackles are out, because I think they will have to in order to win. That run game is struggling. 

But at 100% health, you don't change what's not broken. 2500 yards rushing baby