Denver trades WR Sanders to 49ers

RaidersAreOne

Just now, PapaShogun said:

And Sanders wishing he had stayed in Denver. Yikes lol.

I find that unlikely. He's averaging 6 targets a game there. He'll probably still get that here and be just as involved. He wasn't the #1 there any more. He will be here. It's just a more efficient offense than Denver. And he comes here to a team that will be going to the playoffs 

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We cannot get a higher than 5th round compensation if Sanders signs elsewhere.

But yes, if he signs a decent deal elsewhere, we can pick up a draft pick in 2021. 

Are we sure this guy is just a one year rental though? What will he even fetch on the open market at his age? 

I've never understood the comp formula tbh. not sure how it weighs the values of contract-AAV/performance/contract-years. I'm sure he'd net something if he's productive enough in 2020 for another team. 

I think the closest comparable you're going to find with regards to age / production at time of free agency, along with current cap standing and recency of contract is probably going to be golden tate. Sanders is a year and a half older. Tate got 4 yrs, 37.5, cap hits 6 / 10 / 11.5 / 8.5. 10m signing bonus with first and second year base guaranteed (those these were voided with his suspension). Jordy Nelson got 2 / 14 the year before, but he was kind of done at that point. 

I think 3 years 27-29 million probably gives a good shot @J-ALL-DAY

All I know is....  If he significantly improves our offense, I'm not going to care what the cap hit is or the picks we gave up.  Well, unless he doesn't resign here, maybe.  Not exactly drooling over a 5th round comp pick for losing a significant portion of the offense.

If he doesn't significantly improve our offense....  Yeah, I'm not going to be a happy camper.  So, this is just one of those wait and see things for me.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the closest comparable you're going to find with regards to age / production at time of free agency, along with current cap standing and recency of contract is probably going to be golden tate. Sanders is a year and a half older. Tate got 4 yrs, 37.5, cap hits 6 / 10 / 11.5 / 8.5. 10m signing bonus with first and second year base guaranteed (those these were voided with his suspension). Jordy Nelson got 2 / 14 the year before, but he was kind of done at that point. 

I think 3 years 27-29 million probably gives a good shot @J-ALL-DAY

That's not bad. I'd prefer a two year deal but the last year of his deal doesn't need to be guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's not bad. I'd prefer a two year deal but the last year of his deal doesn't need to be guaranteed. 

That is the way I view it as well. I think the third year is probably a lock to have, but highly unlikely to be reached. 

I think as a fan base we've developed a habit of wanting to hoard draft picks because we never feel close to actually contending. The thing is, we're contenders this year.

We have dominated every team we've played, largely on both sides of the ball and we're doing it with god awful wide receiver play and a rash of injuries.  If we want to keep up this level of play and dominance, then our status quo, regardless of healthy players coming back, is not good enough to truly contend against a team like the Packers, Pats or Saints. We needed to get a guy in the receiver room who not only could be a steady, dangerous presence on the field, but could lead by example when they aren't on the field. Typically harping on these sort of things is useless as we just have no idea what it's like more often than not but I think Sanders could have a Sherm like effect on the receivers and I think the staff is desperate for that considering how unprepared our receivers were over the summer and into the early parts of the year.

We had to get a guy in here NOW. a 3rd and 4th is not franchise altering stuff. Yeah, we don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th, but that can change quickly and I expect it too. Whether it be moving some players, moving back in the draft or trading picks next year (in theory, "next year" is an unlimited resource on some level, I would be trying to trade future picks every year). 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

I think as a fan base we've developed a habit of wanting to hoard draft picks because we never feel close to actually contending. The thing is, we're contenders this year.

We have dominated every team we've played, largely on both sides of the ball and we're doing it with god awful wide receiver play and a rash of injuries.  If we want to keep up this level of play and dominance, then our status quo, regardless of healthy players coming back, is not good enough to truly contend against a team like the Packers, Pats or Saints. We needed to get a guy in the receiver room who not only could be a steady, dangerous presence on the field, but could lead by example when they aren't on the field. Typically harping on these sort of things is useless as we just have no idea what it's like more often than not but I think Sanders could have a Sherm like effect on the receivers and I think the staff is desperate for that considering how unprepared our receivers were over the summer and into the early parts of the year.

We had to get a guy in here NOW. a 3rd and 4th is not franchise altering stuff. Yeah, we don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th, but that can change quickly and I expect it too. Whether it be moving some players, moving back in the draft or trading picks next year (in theory, "next year" is an unlimited resource on some level, I would be trying to trade future picks every year). 

Exactly. And it's not like we don't have a second...we do, his name is Dee Ford, and he's playing damn well, even if being limited. We had the money to burn on a big time player like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Receptions aren't really a meaningful stat to me. He leads the team in receiving yardage from the position.

Until proven otherwise, yes, Goodwin's now the 2nd best WR on the roster. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Just Goodwin's presence on the field, defense have to put a safety on his side. His speed has to be accounted for and that in itself, is valuable....regardless of the production.

So much THIS. Trading him away for a 5th is hurting the current team's aspirations. Hard pass. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Are we sure this guy is just a one year rental though? What will he even fetch on the open market at his age? 

Thinking this as well. My hope is (1) stays healthy (2) loves the system (3) wants to stay on the SB champ team

... and yeah, hope the geezer will then take a hometown discount. They will get creative with offseason contracts; I got faith in em. 

29 minutes ago, John232 said:

Agreed. Now is the time to wheel and deal. 

5 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

Hate giving up the draft picks thought they should of both been a round later but like how this trade improves the weakest part of the offence. Part of trade i love is how this stops him going to and helping other teams in our conference.

yeah, sounds like Nawlins and GB were sniffing hard his way. That would have sucked. Love reading from Broncs fans about how much Sanders loves the game, and is a true competitor.

I went into the yr, admittedly a bit of blind homer hopeful...

...  but I'm now fully erect on the SB bandwagon!

200.webp?cid=790b761120f7f825cd1cba7d5a9

• Like 2