Denver trades WR Sanders to 49ers

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

yeah, sounds like Nawlins and GB were sniffing hard his way. That would have sucked. Love reading from Broncs fans about how much Sanders loves the game, and is a true competitor.

I went into the yr, admittedly a bit of blind homer hopeful...

...  but I'm now fully erect on the SB bandwagon!

200.webp?cid=790b761120f7f825cd1cba7d5a9

Just think about if the 49ers had of draft our draft crush in Miles Boykin (who on a run happy Ravens already has 1 td more than any of our recievers)  we wouldn't needed to make this trade O.o

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adamq said:

Meh, I like this better than what NE gave for Sanu, I suppose

thats debatable to me. Yes it was a little less draft pick compensation but we are are going to pay sanders 5.9m for this season, and the pats are going to pay sanu 8.7m for this season and next. thats a big difference imo. an extra 2.8 million for an entire season, with most of that money being paid next year anyways. 

Sanders is more accomplished in his career statistically, sure. But there is a reason we were focused on Sanu first, then shifted to sanders after sanu got dealt. Sanu has the size we lack. He has strong hands and is good after the catch. He is different than the other WRs we have on our roster. He was never the focal point of that offense but when you watch him play you know he could put up big numbers with more targets. 

With sanders, I see more of the same in what we have. smaller guy who runs good routes but isnt going to make contested catches consistently. its too similar to what we have to get me super excited about it. I still dont see that #1 WR on our roster tbh. 

Hes a good player to have, sure. but hes getting older and doesnt have the same quickness he had before the injury. I dont consider him a '#1 WR' hes a great #2 to have, but hes not a #1 guy. Hes a top 20 WR at this point imo. no shame in that, but thats the reality of it. He wasnt the best WR on his team this year. Sutton is clearly better.

We have now spent a 2nd in 2018, a 2nd in 2019, a 3rd in 2019, a 3rd in 2020 on WRs and we STILL DONT HAVE A #1 ON THE ROSTER. thats not including what we gave up to trade up for pettis nor the pick swap in the trade we made today.

It is good to have a vet in that room though, and he should fit into the locker room here, so that part of it is really good. 

It kinda compounds though, we have less money to spend next year, and less cheap labor coming in. I just cant see shanny and lynch trading down at the end of the first, they have literally never traded down. Not once that I can remember. We traded a 3rd to the saints for a second so that they could draft Alvin Kamara (imagine having friggen alvin kamara instead of freaking dante pettis) but that was trading out, not trading down. 

/ramble

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

I'll settle for anything that looks like can be a quality contributor at WR right now. Couldn't care less about size. Even if Manny Sanders is getting long in the tooth, if he can get open, and consistently make plays it's fine. I remember Anquan Boldin came over, and was an instant upgrade, even at the age of 33, and playing in an offense that wasn't exactly an aerial circus. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Well, I would have been a bit vocal and heated, had SF traded a 2nd for Sanu (if we had that pick to do so). 

I just don't think he's all that great, or would add much to our roster, really. Sanders.. with his knowledge, speed, and route running.. is perfect, and maybe they are banking on him being in love with the 49er way by the offseason. I just feel that at his age, and with our winning organization, he will be fair on sticking around. Either way, adding him improves (significantly, I'd guess) our chances to #6 this season. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I'll settle for anything that looks like can be a quality contributor at WR right now. Couldn't care less about size. Even if Manny Sanders is getting long in the tooth, if he can get open, and consistently make plays it's fine. I remember Anquan Boldin came over, and was an instant upgrade, even at the age of 33, and playing in an offense that wasn't exactly an aerial circus. 

.. and G'bless Boldin, but he didn't have near the separation skills of Manny Sanders. :) 

Yea I definitely prefer Manny over Sanu. I can see the appeal for Sanu as we lack a tough, over-the-middle, sure-handed type. But I think ultimately that's what I envision Hurd as so I'm more than ok that Sanu wasn't the trade. Manny to me, was the most ideal fit for this scheme on the trade market. Even over Green. He still has enough speed to run your posts and go's get past CBs, while also being a demon in the slot. He makes tough grabs over the middle for a guy of his stature and he can run the gadget plays/fly sweeps that we do also. He's fits seamless with the offense. I dont don't know how I feel keeping him around past this year though. I'll tale the wait and see approach.

18 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Don't like what they gave up. He doesn't make the WR corps that much better and he doesn't change the game for you. I get that they needed to add something, but I'm just not happy with what they gave up. The team is very good, but they still need to add to it in the draft and now they are limited with what they can do.

Indeed. The draft is going to absolutely suck this year. Dammit. We have a 1st round pick and then we get to wait until Day 3. We had better win the Super Bowl in January 2020. 

40 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why does it matter what his cap hit is for THIS season? We clearly have more than enough cap space. He's only signed until the end of the season. 

The roll over for next season is important. Still have to make that move though. CAn't be avoided unless you're throwing the farm at the Titans for Corey Davis. We had 23.6M in space give or take for next season, 18M of which is roll over from this year. Now this year is down to about 12 million and next year's space is about 17 million. But again, there's nothing you can do to avoid this unless the answer was just to avoid acquiring talent for a run this season all together. 

24 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Less to roll into next season....

we going for it NOW, and can still be fine for next.... BELIEVE

As much as a draft-nut as I have been, to hell with it. We just end up with day 2 meh like Samuel and Hurd. 

We won't need much to add to our 2020 season, and Free Agency is a real thing to add some decent depth. 

Go for the gold now. We are 6-0, and have only 4 road games to finish out. Then, we battle NO, Minny, GB for NFC run of ring #6.

Sanders is far better than anything we got at WR. Much of the draft is hyped up circle j