Week 8: NY Jets vs Jaacksonville Jags

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Darnold has nothing to work with.  Awful ol, no ryn game, bad coaching. The jets are ruining him.

Ita not like hes Baker struggling with a all pro rb and wrs

We still have an all pro RB. I don't know why Mayfield's OL regressed so much but we've had problems there for a while. OL and pass rushing has been pitiful these past 3 seasons.

Well that sucked.

Big defensive gaffes (including seemingly having no idea how to defend a QB on the run), horrendous O-line play (what's new?), no running game, and Darnold often thinking he's Pat Mahommes (he is not).

We had a lead. And made our only XP attempt. And Ryan Griffin had some nice catches. That's about all I've got for positives. They just don't give us many reasons to want to keep watching the rest of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

We still have an all pro RB. I don't know why Mayfield's OL regressed so much but we've had problems there for a while. OL and pass rushing has been pitiful these past 3 seasons.

Our all pro rb is averaging 3 ypc or 2 ypx cause our ol is trash. He needs to make magic happen for 2 yards, shows you how bad they are

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I don’t think Gase just miraculously became a bad football coach though. I don’t believe he’s head coach material, but he didn’t get this far for being a bad coach. He’s known for teaching fundamentals and puts a lot on the QBs plate, which is important for Sam right now. Can’t blame him for the offensive line implosion. Can’t blame him for a few bad decisions/throws Sam made. That said, his offenses are as pro-style as it gets. Modern coaching emphasizes simplicity, masking weaknesses and enphasizing strengths, whereas Gase’s offense is complex and simple requires extreme precision; everything needs to go right for a play to work- there are no easy plays in his offense. 

These are growing pains. Sam will be better in the future for what he goes through now, and no matter how frustrating it’s important to keep these two together for the next 1-2 years. Once Sam is over the hump in his development, you go out and get an actual head coach- not an coordinator masquerading as one. 

Based on his body of work that is an extremely generous statement. Fact is, he may just not be a very HC. His offenses have never been above 24th rank in his time as a HC. That isnt a stat that happened over night. I still dont understand what hes done to make any actually think this guy should be our HC. Yes all the problems youve pointed out exist, but what has he done to rectify it schematically? Not to mention saying his offense requires extreme precision is not the mark of a good system. Having every single thing work out to make a play work not only sounds like a pipedream but a terrible way to build a system. The best offenses in the league have plenty of things that dont go well on a vast majority of plays and they execute. Not only are our designs predictable, we do a poor job of executing them. I also have never schematically seen a worse blocking system. Our line are always confused at their individual assignments. We need to find a better HC going into next year. We need to treat this as a complete rebuild. Right now we are a bottm 3 team in the NFL and we have to restart this with Joe Douglas and a better HC. Just my two cents. 

6 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Based on his body of work that is an extremely generous statement. Fact is, he may just not be a very HC. His offenses have never been above 24th rank in his time as a HC. That isnt a stat that happened over night. I still dont understand what hes done to make any actually think this guy should be our HC. Yes all the problems youve pointed out exist, but what has he done to rectify it schematically? Not to mention saying his offense requires extreme precision is not the mark of a good system. Having every single thing work out to make a play work not only sounds like a pipedream but a terrible way to build a system. The best offenses in the league have plenty of things that dont go well on a vast majority of plays and they execute. Not only are our designs predictable, we do a poor job of executing them. I also have never schematically seen a worse blocking system. Our line are always confused at their individual assignments. We need to find a better HC going into next year. We need to treat this as a complete rebuild. Right now we are a bottm 3 team in the NFL and we have to restart this with Joe Douglas and a better HC. Just my two cents. 

I think this quote from Ganggreennation sums it up

I am starting to feel like the Jets are at a distinct disadvantage when they take the field each week simply because because the other team doesn’t have Adam Gase and his coaching staff. There’s seldom anything schematic to give the players something easy to execute. When the opponent makes a single adjustment, there’s no answer.”

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

I think this quote from Ganggreennation sums it up

I am starting to feel like the Jets are at a distinct disadvantage when they take the field each week simply because because the other team doesn’t have Adam Gase and his coaching staff. There’s seldom anything schematic to give the players something easy to execute. When the opponent makes a single adjustment, there’s no answer.”

Like when Edoga was getting beat repeatedly and Gase put Griffin on his side to help slow down the Jags EDGE rushers?

I just feel like these players aren’t being held accountable. It’s typically easy to hid a bad player or two. We have several. 

I don't think Gase has been good at all. But its talent that's weak on this team. And that's from a century of bad drafting. And that cant be thrown on Gase or JD bc that was all done before them.

This is what you get when you neglect offense for a century in the draft.

Well its official I missed my first Jet game in over 20 years. It was not on my local channel here in Maine and I decided to not go to my parents house to watch the game on the ticket. I actually feel pretty good. I got some work done around the house and watched that great Sunday night game. I took the kids to the movies to watch the Adams Family (not that great) because of the rain. I'm getting really tired of this team and I wish the fans would refuse to go to the games and tell the Johnsons to stick it. Gase should be fired today and let Williams run the team. I want a young minded coach who has not been a HC in the NFL. We missed our guy when And Ried was out there. I wanted him so bad. I also wanted Kliff Kingsbury too. The only time I'm going to watch the jets is if it is on my local channel so it looks like I won't see a game for the rest of the year. lol

MY take from the Jags game, By far Darryl Roberts, was the best Jet player on defensive. 

Le'Veon Bell's stats thru 7 games

Rushing stats  ATT.109     yards 349   average per carry 3.2

Receiving stats receptions 32   yards 187  average per catch 5.8 yards

Those stats are pathetic, If anybody doesn't think the Oline is a top priority in next years draft better think again. At lest three of our first four picks in the draft have to be O lineman. The only players on the O line that should be back year is Kevin Beachum, Alex Lewis and maybe Shell. Shell had a serious injury last year and has played lousy this year. The rest of the current O line you can send packing, they flat out suck.

I have to give Darnold, another pass because of the O line, but I saw the same thing you all saw about Darnold play and it was disturbing. 

11 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Again- I'm not talking about Adam Gase the head coach, I'm talking about Adam Gase the football (QB) coach. Regardless what we've seen from Darnold on the field in 4 games this year, there's no denying that for the most part the mistakes have been either on him or on the offensive line. In the last two weeks he's had serious trouble stepping up in the pocket, which has hindered his ability to throw it accurately. And it's not like he held the ball too long; the Jets were calling play-action and he'd be met right at the top of his drop... like literally less then 3 seconds. 

In regards to the scheme: I agree it's not ideal to have an offense that requires such precision every single down. Smart offenses have a lot of easy plays, but what I'm trying to point out is that I think having to work through the issues in a hard offense will only make some of these guys better in time (namely Darnold). If you look at the 49ers offense, so much of its success has to do with the players doing there job every single down. Just because your number isn't called or the ball isn't in your hands doesn't mean your not impacting the play. It has taken their guys a while to get the hang of it, but now that they have it's a well oiled machine. I'm not saying that I expect the same out of Gase's offense, but at some point you have to put it on the players. It's up to them to step up, play hard, and play precise.

Perfect example was on the first INT. So many mistakes led to that breakdown.

• Miscommunication/identification at the line led to a unblocked blitzer up the middle. Had they identified it, Edoga should have picked up 93 off the snap, which would've allowed Lewis to protect on the blitz, and Le'Veon to block a potentially blitzing Myles Jack off the edge- instead, Edoga was left with no one to block.
  • Le'Veon got out of the snap looking to help the left side, but had to readjust when he realized there was no one coming off the edge and inside it was coming up the middle- got there late.
  • Darnold somehow got out of it, and should have thrown it away- instead he threw. Poor decision on 1st down.
  • Ball is in the air, and instead of attacking the football, Robby Anderson drops to his knee despite there being a defender draped all over him. Defender jumps in-front of the throw, and ends in an INT. If Robby does not go to his knee, it's likely either a completion, an incomplete pass, or defensive pass interference. 

Expecting perfection every play is not realistic, but all the compiled mistakes on one play alone isn't all on the coaches.