Why was Haskins drafted in the first round?

viper952

33 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Maybe he got his osu feelings hurt? Anyways, based on the little I've seen, he doesn't look good, but neither did Jared Goff his rookie year. Just gotta wonder if they pull an Arizona in April. 

There’s always gotta be one of you blaming fandom. So you know last year I was really glad we didn’t need a qb because I was not a fan of any of them coming out. I thought Haskins could be an nfl qb but he was raw and needed a time to sit and learn. I would have taken him maybe in the second round. Oh, me and another Browns poster also commented that we thought Jones could be the best qb to come out of the draft. 

So yeah curse of the fandom rears it’s ugly head again 😉

Still way too early to tell about any of these guys is my only point. 

10 hours ago, NFL_Advisor said:

It’s true he looked awful in both games he played this year... bear in mind though, that it was without first team reps the whole week and came to replace the starting QB...

Exactly. People also overreacted to Teddy struggling in this situation as well, and now he's looked really good for New Orleans. Totally different being thrust into a game and having the week to work with the first team and prepare. 

This is hilarious. 

Have people already forgotten how terrible Kirk looked his first year in Gruden’s system (with some extremely ugly picks during that time)? That he did this after being a 4-year starter at QB incollege?  That he did this in his 3rd year in the league?  Yet people are crying bust on Haskins after his second career game, who hasn’t even started yet, with one year of college experience under his belt?

From the moment he was drafted, I was a strong proponent of sitting him this entire year. His biggest mistakes come from sloppy footwork and mechanics, and I wanted to give him a chance to work on those in a controlled environment for a full season. Yet, he didn’t get that. And as we’ve seen so far this season, some of his biggest misses and interceptions have come from bad footwork. This should have been expected by anyone with intelligence.  The good thing is that mechanics/footwork can be improved. I just hope he doesn’t develop bad habits in the meantime, throwing in live action. And I hope his confidence doesn’t crater as a result of the clear lack of a plan with him, and the circus around him. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Have Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf been given enough time to call them what they are?

Jamarcus Russell started 25 games over 3 years. Ryan Leaf started 21 games over 3 seasons. Dwayne Haskins has started zero games over one season.

So to answer your question: yes, Ryan Leaf and Jamrcus Russell were given enough time to determine their viability as NFL QBs. Haskins has not.

Patrick Mahomes started 1 game his first year and flashed athleticism but played mediocre. Now he's the best QB in the game.

Baker Mayfield started 13 games last year and was heralded for his performance on the field and the jury is still out on him.

Lamar Jackson looked inept at passing last year in 7 (technically 8 with the playoff game) games and has clearly taken a massive step forward this year.

I'm not even gonna name the stats for Jared Goff between years 1 and any other year.

Give Haskins time, you can't call a QB a bust because he isn't ready to start after 8 weeks. He started one year in college, and is 22 years old and only 4 years removed from high school football. We can have this discussion this time next year but even then it'd be conjecture.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 2

The only time you really rip a rookie QB is when a bunch of people over-hype him and you are really only targeting those people, not the player.

• 2019 is a special case where a GM drafted a QB about 20-30 picks too soon and then defended it by pretending 2 other teams would as well.
    • That QB should be judged as if he was a late 1st round pick instead of 6 overall. (if he was not associated with the GM and the fans and the media)
    • The GM, as well as the fans and media who over-hype him deserve all possible criticism. (so pointing out he has the ANY/A of Gabbert is fun)

Even the criticism of Josh Rosen (who played terribly) last year came with the caveat that his team was awful.

Guys like Marino, Wilson, or Roethlisberger are really rare. Most players need that first year to learn.

I didn't like him coming out, but...

He does play for a horribly run franchise 

He has one year of starting experience in college 

He's a rookie

Also

I find it interesting that nobody including the Redskins traded up for him, kind of a sign that the rumors about ownership and coaching staff had different opinions on him. I thought I heard a rumor he hasn't been working very hard, but it could just be a false rumor 

Either way, too early to know for sure if he will be a franchise guy or not 

Hard not to root for this plump and pleasant young man, vowing to prove the NFL was wrong!

"The league done messed up."

Dwayne Haskins letting Washington Redskins fans know he's ready to get work 💪

Image result for Dwayne Haskins NFL draft
Embedded video

"To be honest, I'm more motivated now than ever," Haskins said after he was picked. "There's a bigger chip on my shoulder. The league done messed up. I'm just blessed by god with my family, and I'm right down the street. So we gonna do it right this time, it's crazy."

Haskins played football at Bullis High School in Potomac, Maryland, and he was committed to the University of Maryland before changing his mind and joining the Buckeyes.

Edited by bzane
Addition of sexy photo of D. Haskins
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bzane said:

Hard not to root for this plump and pleasant young man, vowing to prove the NFL was wrong!

"The league done messed up."

Dwayne Haskins letting Washington Redskins fans know he's ready to get work 💪

Embedded video

"To be honest, I'm more motivated now than ever," Haskins said after he was picked. "There's a bigger chip on my shoulder. The league done messed up. I'm just blessed by god with my family, and I'm right down the street. So we gonna do it right this time, it's crazy."

Haskins played football at Bullis High School in Potomac, Maryland, and he was committed to the University of Maryland before changing his mind and joining the Buckeyes.

you don't disappoint!

• Like 1