Week 1 Rams Vs Colts

Flounch

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Respect, brother. Looking forward to the Rams-Seahawks game this year.

If I can't get tickets for next week against Washington, I'm calling in the birthday favor (since the game will be 2 days before my birthday) to get tickets to this game.  Good field level sideline seats available for like $88 right now.

30 minutes ago, bzane said:

Actually, I think that Flounch is a loyal Rams' fan- guardedly optimistic, you might say. Flounch has been given hope today, as have all Rams' fans; but he tempers his enthusiasm with high standards for his team.

I know.  I was just busting his balls a little (hence the Alex Smith bit - as I don't think any of us expect Alex to be posting that kind of line on the regular this season).

16 minutes ago, bertuzzi said:

40 yards rushing by gurley vs the worst defense in the league. I dunno about gurley anymore. He had a decent game but he just doesnt seem to be a very good rb.

We know you don't like Gurley that's well established. But anybody that watched the game will know that our OLine couldn't run block to save their lives today.

I liked a lot of what I saw today. The team as a whole, especially the defense, did a lot of things well. Goff looked effective and efficient. There were a few plays that should have been completions if not for drops as well. Pass protection looked great. The ball was distributed well. I know people are stressing their concern over the run game. The run blocking was obviously brought up and that is certainly an issue. But I think a big thing to consider here is the fact that we were up by a considerable margin pretty early in the game. As an offense, you're obviously going to try to run the ball more to eat the clock and avoid potential turnovers. Defenses know this as well. Also, Gurley had a few nice runs and moved the ball well in space. I think we need to wipe last year out of our mind in regards to Gurley and give him a few more games in this offense with this group before we form a true opinion, one way or the other. 

One thing I will say is: it looked like they were forcing the ball to Tavon early on and it was ineffective. It reminded me so much of the last couple years. I'm honestly done with this guy. For every big play he makes, he'll have ten bad plays--plays where he makes a bonehead mistake, or loses the ball or gains no yardage or even loses yardage. It looked like as the game progressed, they weren't forcing it to him as much, which was good for two reasons. It means that they were allowing the ball to go to the other targets and it showed that our coaches were adapting after it wasn't working. 

Overall, at the end of the day, the score says it all and you've got to be happy with how the team played today as a whole. 

1 hour ago, bertuzzi said:

40 yards rushing by gurley vs the worst defense in the league. I dunno about gurley anymore. He had a decent game but he just doesnt seem to be a very good rb.

To be fair, Gurley had two 10+ runs called back because of holding. He also had I believe it was a catch and run that he would've had a td if the defender didn't clip his heel to trip him up. So while Gurley didn't sail to 100+yds and had a high ypc, he grind and had some things that didn't go his way on a few plays that would've made his day look a lot different.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

To be fair, Gurley had two 10+ runs called back because of holding. He also had I believe it was a catch and run that he would've had a td if the defender didn't clip his heel to trip him up. So while Gurley didn't sail to 100+yds and had a high ypc, he grind and had some things that didn't go his way on a few plays that would've made his day look a lot different.

Well hes got the rest of the season to prove me wrong and im hoping he does. I dont see what you guys see in him, honestly. You can blame the Oline all you want but he shows me nothing special and hasnt in over a season and a half. Those first 4 games of his career were special but man that was a long time ago. If you cant run more than 40 yards on that colts defense, well i dont see it getting any better for him. 

Hopefully the better reciever core will open things up for gurley but he doesnt seem to be able to find the holes or even break many tackles. Meh

if he doesnt run for at least 100 yards once this season like he didnt last season the rams have to go out and draft a new RB outta college or sign a good one in free agency. How much time and money do u invest in a guy thats so mediocre?

6 hours ago, bertuzzi said:

Well hes got the rest of the season to prove me wrong and im hoping he does. I dont see what you guys see in him, honestly. You can blame the Oline all you want but he shows me nothing special and hasnt in over a season and a half. Those first 4 games of his career were special but man that was a long time ago. If you cant run more than 40 yards on that colts defense, well i dont see it getting any better for him. 

Hopefully the better reciever core will open things up for gurley but he doesnt seem to be able to find the holes or even break many tackles. Meh

if he doesnt run for at least 100 yards once this season like he didnt last season the rams have to go out and draft a new RB outta college or sign a good one in free agency. How much time and money do u invest in a guy thats so mediocre?

To be fair, the Colts have a pretty darn good duo at the defensive tackle position

Loved the game, but a few things I noticed.   Had Kupp not dropped that pass, he had a lot of green in front of him and would have had over 100 yards receiving in his first game.  He was great and all that I expected but was kind of shocked at that drop.   Goff looked a lot better then last year.  The passing pocket looked great and he had time on most throws, which really makes a difference with him. Give him a clean pocket and he'll kill you.   Gurley looked a lot like last year. Granted, his best runs were called back and his day would have looked a lot different statistically had those flags not been thrown.  He also nearly had a huge TD on that catch that the defender grabbed his foot from behind.  Would have liked to see him turn on the jets and leave that guy behind like he did as a rookie.  An issues I kept seeing with him is when the hole was definitely not there, he doesn't try to create anything on his own, he just lowers his head and "accepts" being stopped.  A couple of runs, if he popped outside, he would have had at least 5+ yard gains, but settled for no gain runs.  I'm not sure when he lost that from his rookie year, but he needs to get that back asap.  

Love that McVay realizes that Gurley is a good receiving option and getting him in some space works very well for this offense.  If I'm the Rams, I'm calling the Bears to see what they will give me for Austin.  He just doesn't seem to have a spot on this roster and the Bears are severely needing a WR.  Trick them into giving us a 3rd and ship him out.

Very much looking forward to next week to see if we actually have a solid team, or if it was a product of the Colts being a bottom 5 team, which I think they are without Luck.  Possibly bottom 3.

GO RAMS

1 hour ago, Flatlyner said:

Loved the game, but a few things I noticed.   Had Kupp not dropped that pass, he had a lot of green in front of him and would have had over 100 yards receiving in his first game.  He was great and all that I expected but was kind of shocked at that drop.   Goff looked a lot better then last year.  The passing pocket looked great and he had time on most throws, which really makes a difference with him. Give him a clean pocket and he'll kill you.   Gurley looked a lot like last year. Granted, his best runs were called back and his day would have looked a lot different statistically had those flags not been thrown.  He also nearly had a huge TD on that catch that the defender grabbed his foot from behind.  Would have liked to see him turn on the jets and leave that guy behind like he did as a rookie.  An issues I kept seeing with him is when the hole was definitely not there, he doesn't try to create anything on his own, he just lowers his head and "accepts" being stopped.  A couple of runs, if he popped outside, he would have had at least 5+ yard gains, but settled for no gain runs.  I'm not sure when he lost that from his rookie year, but he needs to get that back asap.  

Love that McVay realizes that Gurley is a good receiving option and getting him in some space works very well for this offense.  If I'm the Rams, I'm calling the Bears to see what they will give me for Austin.  He just doesn't seem to have a spot on this roster and the Bears are severely needing a WR.  Trick them into giving us a 3rd and ship him out.

Very much looking forward to next week to see if we actually have a solid team, or if it was a product of the Colts being a bottom 5 team, which I think they are without Luck.  Possibly bottom 3.

GO RAMS

You said Gurley didn't try to create things for himself when nothing was there. One of those holding penalties that took a big run away is when Gurley saw nothing there then ran the way and turned the corner and I think Havenstein was called for holding. The commentators even mentioned it on the broadcast.

Also I wouldn't give up on Tavon. Him being another weapon is key. Like any time he has the ball in his hands he can explode and I want to see what McVay can do over the long haul with him. Again as I mentioned in another thread, with Watkins, Gurley, Kupp, the two tight ends, defenses cant take away everyone. Like he had a 9yd run yesterday that looked like he wouldn't get much if not anything and he quickness and shiftiness got him yards quicks. The more he is in this offense working with McVay, there will be more wrinkles and we might not see it till later on in the season but it's another weapon the Rams have in their arsenal and I don't want to lose that.

Archived