GDT - The Baltimore Runvens

Hunter2_1

9 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

It wasn't so much Lamar destroying them, it was a complete team effort. Everyone that touched the ball picked up chunks of yards, Lamar just lead the way. They didn't set the edge and ran rampant. The read option killed them and had linebackers in spots were they were 2 on 1 and were not going to win those.

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Tbh I think they accomplished what they wanted to with Lamar.  He didn’t really get out of the pocket much, maybe 2-3 plays all game. 

The issue wasn’t specific to Lamar Jackson.  Its that we have no run defense right now and the Ravens are the best running team in the league and got an early lead.  A lot of Lamar’s yards came up the middle. 

They need to get better at stopping the run between the tackles. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You're underestimating Lamar's influence on the game. Yes, they kept him in the pocket often but he also kept plays alive. Any other QB wouldve suffered 5 sacks in similar situations Lamar was in tonight. His ability also ties up resources on contain, softening the middle of the field for power runs up the gut by both Lamar and Ingram. His mere presence makes it easier to run the ball by a back and his elusiveness keeps drives alive when they should be dead in the water. 

I encourage you to watch Devin McCourty’s post game presser. He singled out John Simon for doing a job on Lamar Jackson and in general tonight stopping the run. Then he called out the edge of the defense for not being there tonight otherwise. Exactly what I’ve been saying.

Very clear the Pats lost this as much as the Ravens won.

13 minutes ago, Duff said:

I wouldn't say you guys have more talent. You do have some good players on defense especially the secondary and of course you have Brady and Edelman but really your just coached so well. I have seen to many players leave the Patriots over the years and they were very average at best when they left the Patriots. Look at your one OLB who was originally a Patriot then left and played in Cleveland where he was average and now that he is back as a Patriot he looks like an all pro. Bellichek just knows how to position guys to succeed better than any coach in the league. He knows how to make adjustments and revise the game plan according to the flow of the game unless he is facing a tremendous talent that transcends above game plans. You had defenders in position to stop the Pistol formation but Jackson was just to quick. I'm willing to be Bellicheck will figure it out and show the rest of the league how to stop Jackson and for that I will be thankful because we have to face him twice a year.

Most years in general you are right about the coaching exceeding the talent, however this year it is really spilt in favor of the players if anything.

As for the OLB, Jamie Collins, he was a high draft pick and is super athletic but he played poorly tonight. Why? He was not positioned right. Same for Van Noy and Brooks.

Lamar Jackson didn’t do all that great but he did help the other teammates exploit the lack of preparation by the Pats. Belichick demonstrated in the second and thurd quarter that he figured out the issue but it was no use as there were too many uncharacteristic mistakes made in the form of penalties. Yet another trait of a poorly prepared team.

I’m not holding my breath for a rematch. Should one happen, I would expect the Pats to clean up the mistakes and win the football game.

Overall, the Ravens defense and special teams is lacking talent by comparison. The Patriots receivers are also better. Ravens have a better offensive line and tight ends.

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

That was about needing to score quickly as much as anything, he knew they were playing 2 scores behind, with only a little time remaining and good chance of only getting 1 more possession. They needs to score quickly to have a chance of getting the ball back. Plus, their RZ offense is stalling, so trying a big play to bypass the RZ made sense. They just don't have the OL to hold up for long-developing plays, or the WRs to get open deep.

So pissed right now. That Edelman fumble and that Watson drop will keep me up.

AND it's going into the bye, so 2 weeks of hearing about it. Delightful.

Yep. Losses before byes are time to take a week off and think about catching up with loved ones on Sunday nights. 

I think we'll be okay. Not many teams can run like the Browns and Ravens but the tackling must improve. 

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I encourage you to watch Devin McCourty’s post game presser. He singled out John Simon for doing a job on Lamar Jackson and in general tonight stopping the run. Then he called out the edge of the defense for not being there tonight otherwise. Exactly what I’ve been saying.

Very clear the Pats lost this as much as the Ravens won.

Yep

They had a plan to deal with the Lamar scrambling factor.  It generally worked

They couldn’t overcome Lamar and the rest of the offense playing a perfect game otherwise.  You can’t beat everyone 

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Most years in general you are right about the coaching exceeding the talent, however this year it is really spilt in favor of the players if anything.

As for the OLB, Jamie Collins, he was a high draft pick and is super athletic but he played poorly tonight. Why? He was not positioned right. Same for Van Noy and Brooks.

Lamar Jackson didn’t do all that great but he did help the other teammates exploit the lack of preparation by the Pats. Belichick demonstrated in the second and thurd quarter that he figured out the issue but it was no use as there were too many uncharacteristic mistakes made in the form of penalties. Yet another trait of a poorly prepared team.

I’m not holding my breath for a rematch. Should one happen, I would expect the Pats to clean up the mistakes and win the football game.

Overall, the Ravens defense and special teams is lacking talent by comparison. The Patriots receivers are also better. Ravens have a better offensive line and tight ends.

100% agree

The defense adjusted and was relatively effective after the first quarter 

If Edelman doesn’t fumble that ball I think they win.  Being down 11 to a team that can kill clock that effectively was an uphill battle and props to Lamar for converting a few times in big spots (albeit with the help of a blatant pick play in there)

San Francisco is going to pose similar problems if we face them but I do think the lack of the Lamar factor will allow for a more traditional stack the box run defense and I don’t fear Jimmy against this secondary. 

The Chiefs are scary.  Damien Williams is meh but we won’t be able to sell out for the run, I could see him and Shady picking up big chunks of yards and opening up stuff downfield.

Anyway Ravens on the road was always the toughest game on the schedule.  

On to Philly.

I got some time to sleep it off and calm down. Frustrating loss, but the expectations to go 16-0 are unreasonable. We had bigger WTF losses last season (Tennessee, Detroit) and it all worked out.

Getting Wynn back is going to do wonders for that offensive line.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Elky said:

I got some time to sleep it off and calm down. Frustrating loss, but the expectations to go 16-0 are unreasonable.

Getting Wynn back is going to do wonders for that offensive line.

I personally think many of us have been over-confident. When 2019 team beat the 07 team on that thread, I had to laugh. We have major flaws.

Obviously you can still be a top 3 team in the league and have flaws, and that's what we are.

On to the bye. But so are PHI....god dammnit, 3 in a row.

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

100% agree

The defense adjusted and was relatively effective after the first quarter 

If Edelman doesn’t fumble that ball I think they win.  Being down 11 to a team that can kill clock that effectively was an uphill battle and props to Lamar for converting a few times in big spots (albeit with the help of a blatant pick play in there)

Really your team does the pick play more than any team in the NFL. How do you like a taste of your own medicine? Also it is about time your team get penalized. Have never seen a team grab the receivers so much beyond five yards and get away with it as much as your db's do. Miami does it as well and he is a protege of Belicheck so it is obviously coached. I applaud you guys for playing that way I just don't know why you don't get called on it more often. You guys also get away with a ton of holding on your offensive line. I believe that is because the refs are trying to protect Brady. Well heres to Kansas City and Houston laying down some wins on you guys. Have fun traveling to Baltimore again in the playoffs and getting your ***** handed to you.