Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Naan bread is spectacular. I will not change my mind on this.

Garlic naan, chicken tikka masala and saag paneer over jasmin rice is incredibly simple and delicious. You can tell the quality of an Indian restaurant by the quality of their tikka masala, saag paneer and naan. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Elky said:

Also, if you're not using cast iron, you're cooking things wrong. There's absolutely no reason to use a "nonstick" frying pan instead of cast iron.

The only time we really don't use cast iron is if both are dirty and we are being lazy or for over easy eggs. I don't think either of our cast iron pans are seasoned well enough to get as clean of a break (for lack of a better word) off the pan yet.

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Also, if you're not using cast iron, you're cooking things wrong. There's absolutely no reason to use a "nonstick" frying pan instead of cast iron.

If you're using tomatoes in any recipe, I'd be wary. The acid can break down the pores and mess up the skillet. If you season it well enough and clean it meticulously (a little bit of hot water and sea salt with a lightly coarse sponge) then you can - but that's my only suggestion. 

There's no other tool that can sear meat like a cast iron skillet. It's arguably the most used tool in my kitchen.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If you're using tomatoes in any recipe, I'd be wary. The acid can break down the pores and mess up the skillet. If you season it well enough and clean it meticulously (a little bit of hot water and sea salt with a lightly coarse sponge) then you can - but that's my only suggestion. 

There's no other tool that can sear meat like a cast iron skillet. It's arguably the most used tool in my kitchen.

Acidic foods like tomatoes won't harm your cast iron once it's seasoned enough. I re-oil mine after each use and never had issues with tomatoes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

I got the best fish tacos I ever ate in San Diego outta some small shack offa the 101

I qualify fish tacos out of San Diego as more Tex Mex than Mexican. California does Tex Mex REALLY well, but the authentic stuff...eh.

Just now, Elky said:

Acidic foods like tomatoes won't harm your cast iron once it's seasoned enough. I re-oil mine after each use and never had issues with tomatoes.

Same here, but I still avoid it. I might give it a try now, though.

What sort of oil do you use? I've heard flaxseed oil is the best, but I use Canola oil...

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Steak N Shake absolutely destroys them IMO.

Steak N Shake is only good for the first 6ish months they're open. Service and food turns to trash after that. I figured that out from trying it at a few different locations.

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

As far as chicken goes, Cains is also overrated. It's good but Chik and Zaxbys are substantially better. 

Cane's is actually really good, but Zaxby's is better. I was in Florida for 4 days, and ate Zaxby's twice. My wife and I both really liked Bojangles when we finally got to try it. It's a different style than all of the others though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Same here, but I still avoid it. I might give it a try now, though.

What sort of oil do you use? I've heard flaxseed oil is the best, but I use Canola oil...

Flaxseed is best, but it's expensive. I use coconut oil.

Edited by Elky

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Straight snobbery. 

Cast Iron is great for certain things, especially if you want good searing. But non-stick and metal cookware can be just as good, and better in some circumstances. Less stress and maintenance for similar results.

I am a stan for Le Creuset's enameled cast iron though. 

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Straight snobbery. 

Cast Iron is great for certain things, especially if you want good searing. But non-stick and metal cookware can be just as good, and better in some circumstances. Less stress and maintenance for similar results.

I am a stan for Le Creuset's enameled cast iron though. 

Cast iron is less maintenance than frying pans. Yes, you do have to spend a little extra time seasoning it, but it doesn't take that long and it's truly nonstick. Can't tell you how many times "nonstick frying pans" stick like hell.

Edited by Elky