Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2020 at 3:07 PM, JTagg7754 said:

This is where the major dilemma is at w/ my work people. They think the crust is super important and probably the most important. I think it's the least. Give me a good flavored sauce and toppings. That's where the rubber meets the road! I actually had a "no-dough" pizza from a fast-casual place here like Chipotle where there is no crust. They take the sauce and put it in the bottom of a tin w/ a bunch of Parmesan and spinach as a base. That's basically your "crust" then they just top it. I ate it all, enjoyed it, didn't feel like poo, and was good the rest of the day. If I had a crust on it, I would've been hurting for hours.

On 06/01/2020 at 6:16 PM, JTagg7754 said:

Definitely from eating too much lol. Gluten is not a problem for me at all. 

The best crust I had was at a AZ make your own where it was basically like a cracker. I haven't had PJ's in forever. I might have to check it back out again! One thing I need to do is try another Chicago style deep dish. It's been a long time and I need to figure out if it's as amazing as I remember

Yikes.

This is unpopular with me.

Sounds like you don't even really want a pizza.  You just want a pile of melted cheese on a cracker with a bunch of sauce.  Which is bad.

The crust is like...the one element that's legitimately hard to replicate just right at home.  It's fundamentally make or break.  Cheese is hard to screw up.  Toppings are hard to screw up.  Sauce can have a wide range of acceptable outcomes.  Crust...it's either good, or it's got that bad homemade thing to it, or the "frozen pizza crust" trash.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yikes.

This is unpopular with me.

Sounds like you don't even really want a pizza.  You just want a pile of melted cheese on a cracker with a bunch of sauce.  Which is bad.

The crust is like...the one element that's legitimately hard to replicate just right at home.  It's fundamentally make or break.  Cheese is hard to screw up.  Toppings are hard to screw up.  Sauce can have a wide range of acceptable outcomes.  Crust...it's either good, or it's got that bad homemade thing to it, or the "frozen pizza crust" trash.

Yep, that's all I care about. Crust means nothing. I know it's unpopular and I'm ok with that. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good crust when it's there but overall, it's just a base to add all the good stuff. Nothing more. Sauce is a huge factor. Bad sauce, bad pizza. Nothing can cover that up

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 8:07 AM, JTagg7754 said:

Yep, that's all I care about. Crust means nothing. I know it's unpopular and I'm ok with that. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good crust when it's there but overall, it's just a base to add all the good stuff. Nothing more. Sauce is a huge factor. Bad sauce, bad pizza. Nothing can cover that up

Wholeheartedly agree.  In order of importance, for me:

1.  How long it's cooked.  If it's overcooked, it's ruined.  Cheese should be melted, not "browned."  

2.  Sauce.  This makes or breaks a pizza for me.  I like a lot of sauce to begin with, so if it's nasty or there is no flavor to it, there's nothing you can do to make the pizza better at that point.  

3.  Toppings.  Oh, it's VERY easy to "screw up" toppings.  You can tell if they're not fresh or of poor quality.  Probably not a big deal for people who only eat cheese and/or pepperoni.  I am not one of those people.

4.  Crust.  All this does is hold everything on top of it so I can eat it with my hands instead of with a fork.  I admit that there is bad crust and "better than others," but I have never in my life gone to a pizza joint because they have good crust.  I don't even eat the edges.  Just extra carbs I don't need anyway.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ataal said:

1.  How long it's cooked.  If it's overcooked, it's ruined.  Cheese should be melted, not "browned."  

2.  Sauce.  This makes or breaks a pizza for me.  I like a lot of sauce to begin with, so if it's nasty or there is no flavor to it, there's nothing you can do to make the pizza better at that point.  

3.  Toppings.  Oh, it's VERY easy to "screw up" toppings.  You can tell if they're not fresh or of poor quality.  Probably not a big deal for people who only eat cheese and/or pepperoni.  I am not one of those people.

4.  Crust.  All this does is hold everything on top of it so I can eat it with my hands instead of with a fork.  I admit that there is bad crust and "better than others," but I have never in my life gone to a pizza joint because they have good crust.  I don't even eat the edges.  Just extra carbs I don't need anyway.  

I mean, I agree that the crust is maybe the least important, but it's not meaningless.  A bad crust can ruin a pizza (of course, you can say that about any part).

I put sauce as the number one thing myself.  ****ty cheese is still great, and most places don't mess up the cooking badly enough to ruin it.

That and on the best pizza I ever had, the most memorable thing was the sauce and herbs.  The cheese was great quality, but it didn't stick out the way the sauce did.  Crust was great too.  Apparently their secret was using some chickpea flour.

Also, if you don't eat your crust, you are a literal child (my boss does this).

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2020 at 10:23 AM, Daniel said:

I mean, I agree that the crust is maybe the least important, but it's not meaningless.  A bad crust can ruin a pizza (of course, you can say that about any part).

I put sauce as the number one thing myself.  ****ty cheese is still great, and most places don't mess up the cooking badly enough to ruin it.

That and on the best pizza I ever had, the most memorable thing was the sauce and herbs.  The cheese was great quality, but it didn't stick out the way the sauce did.  Crust was great too.  Apparently their secret was using some chickpea flour.

i think the cheese is the most important.

it cant be undercooked

I'm firmly in the "deep dish pizza" category, while admitting that I love dabbling in all pizza styles/am an open minded pizza person. I also believe in this montra, which will appear on my gravestone:

"Life is too short to eat chain pizza."

*Exception:

When a small army of people are helping me move/I'm ordering for a large event.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2020 at 9:10 AM, Ataal said:

Man, if ever we get split into opposite Pizza Universes, we could both be pretty happy.  This is practically the opposite of how i view pizza.

1.If the cheese doesn't have that browning on it, it's not done yet, or the heat is too low or something.

2.I can kind of agree that the sauce defines a pizza.  It's not make or break though.  It's also the easiest of all the parts to replicate at home imo.  I like all sorts of different sauces, and i can even get around ones i don't particularly love if the rest holds up (or it's cheap and i'm drunk or hungry).  Just so long as it's a tomato sauce of some sort, and not all this weird alternative pizza stuff (and that includes Bolognese stuff).  I view it kinda like the pivot point of a pizza.  It does make a big difference in the character of the pizza, but it's all for naught if the crust and other elements aren't there.  It's just a defining or differentiating trait though...it's what characterizes a pizza, not what makes or breaks it.  Unless it's a truly awful sauce obviously.

3.It's possible to screw up toppings, but it's one of those things you can't really screw up at home like i said.  You just buy quality items and they'll be quality pizza toppers.  It's extremely uncomplicated.

4.Crust is the fundamental base of the entire pizza.  It's the foundation you build on.  If you don't get that right, there's some biblical stuff about how foolish it is to do so.  You can throw the best sauce, the best toppings, the best cheese at it and have it all cooked perfectly...but if it's on some like obvious homemade half-assed crust, it's trash pizza.  Getting that crust right is...imo, pretty much impossible to get right at home.  Even for people far more patient and meticulous than i.  I've just never had a "homemade" pizza crust that comes anywhere close to what can be done with an actual pizza joint with an actual pizza oven and the orders to just have dough sitting and waiting like it needs to.

On 19/01/2020 at 9:23 AM, Daniel said:

I feel like there's maybe a bar at which, once the crust reaches a certain threshold...all the other stuff obviously matters more.  But it's still just the bedrock of a good pizza.  You can't ever get to greatness without a phenomenal crust.