Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

don't even get how regular soda is "too sweet".  Like, for one...that's the point.  Secondly though, diet things with those artificial sweeteners honestly taste sweeter to me, and in a really sickly sort of way.

Some diet sodas are poorly done.

the good:

diet mt dew

die dr depper

coke zero 

pepsi max

cherry coke zero

the bad:

diet coke

diet pepsi

diet sprite/7up

• Like 2

It definitely is though.  Others are serviceable, but the Original is the best.

Good heavens, no.  How can anyone drink two items, and decide that the gross synthetic brain cancer tasting artificial sweetener "diet" version is better?

Diet everything is just undrinkable.  I will not touch the stuff.

Diet drinks are garbage, but Mountain Dew is also pretty much undrinkable radioactive waste.

I don't even get how regular soda is "too sweet".  Like, for one...that's the point.  Secondly though, diet things with those artificial sweeteners honestly taste sweeter to me, and in a really sickly sort of way.

I don't even really drink much soda pop anymore.  I've kinda cut it out of my life, aside from basically the odd fast food dining establishment trip or movie theatre experience.  Just drink tons and tons of boring water, and some tea in the morning.  Maybe that makes Cola more an item of lust, but i feel like i still have a handle on which unit is best to spend my Cola splurge on.  And i'd still take it over pretty much any other "sweets".  

I prefer diet soda too.  Coke Zero is my favorite, but diet Dr Pepper and diet Mountain Dew are ok also.  Regular sodas are way too sweet.

• Like 1

Maybe that makes Cola more an item of lust, but i feel like i still have a handle on which unit is best to spend my Cola splurge on.  And i'd still take it over pretty much any other "sweets".  

I will say that regular Coca Cola is a glass bottle is an occasional luxury for me.

Has to be glass. Not plastic

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I will say that regular Coca Cola is a glass bottle is an occasional luxury for me.

Has to be glass. Not plastic

Glass=They use sugar cane instead of corn syrup. 

I don't drink pop, but glass bottles are a rare exception for me as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

And I normally don't pay much attention to the ethics of how my food is produced but foie gras crosses the line for me. 

I agree.

However, I absolutely step off of my high horse when it comes to consuming veal. It's delicious.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:42 PM, Tugboat said:

I feel like this is 100% the opposite of the advice i'd give to someone who doesn't think they like scotch.

I like Scotch, but Islay stuff is mostly unpleasant.  They basically represent all the negative connotations people associate with Scotch.  Just like drinking a smokey fire, and some people don't like that.  I don't like that.  Cheaper Islay scotch is particularly nasty and tastes like a literal tire fire.

Scotch haters need more Speyside in their life.  Easy, nice, accessible scotch that is delicious and can be deep...but without the overbearing taste of bog.

Especially if you've got someone who thinks the Irish somehow "got it right" with Whiskey.

Depends on what the criticism of Scotch is.  I know some people who don't like it because their exposure is largely to blends and so they find it too medicine-tasting (not to the extent of, say, SoCo - but who over the age of 17 drinks SoCo anymore?).  So for those people, Islay is a good curveball.  I'm of the opinion that if you don't like any sort of peat component in your whiskey though, just stick to drinking Irish and Tennessee whiskeys and don't even bother with Scotch, because you'll never have the palette to appreciate it.

• Like 1