Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

2 minutes ago, Elky said:

Cast iron is less maintenance than frying pans. Yes, you do have to spend a little extra time seasoning it, but it doesn't take that long and it's truly nonstick. Can't tell you how many times "nonstick frying pans" stick like hell.

Either you got some garbage cookware, or user error. 

With the right fat and heat, even el cheapo non stick will do its job easily. 

Look, I'm partially with ya on the cast iron. My go to cookware is a cast iron. But its not that vastly superior in all regards. Would prefer stainless steel over non-stick though, but non-stick does its job well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Either you got some garbage cookware, or user error. 

With the right fat and heat, even el cheapo non stick will do its job easily. 

Look, I'm partially with ya on the cast iron. My go to cookware is a cast iron. But its not that vastly superior in all regards. Would prefer stainless steel over non-stick though, but non-stick does its job well. 

Cast iron is also much more versatile and lasts longer.

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I qualify fish tacos out of San Diego as more Tex Mex than Mexican.

Nope
"Tex" plays no role in the origination of San Diego fish tacos, it was Mex all the way

"Ralph Rubio made the right call in 1974 when he decided not to stay home and study during spring break.

That was the first year Rubio and friends at San Diego State went down to San Felipe on the Sea of Cortés. In addition to cerveza, fish tacos at local stands proved to be their main sustenance, and became one of the prime reasons they would return to San Felipe each spring.

Rubio was particularly fond of the fresh fish tacos made by a vendor named Carlos. One night Rubio suggested that Carlos open up a stand in San Diego. Carlos, making a decision that he can only hope his wife never hears about, replied that he didn’t want to leave Mexico. “I vividly remember the conversation,” says Rubio today. “It was late at night, I’m drinking Coronas with my buddies, and the thought hit me: If he doesn’t want to open a stand, why don’t I just get the recipe?
“It was one of those rare moments of inspiration,” says Rubio of that fateful night. “Besides, I wasn’t the only gringo in San Felipe with a business major.” ”

Lol I was just reading that^^

I thought there was no way fish tacos were TexMex when so much of Mexico is surrounded by the ocean. Guess it depends on how you make it.

Speaking of Mexican food. Pulled some tamales out of the freezer to cook. Too bad they take a while to steam. 

Edited by 11sanchez11

9 minutes ago, Elky said:

Cast iron is also much more versatile and lasts longer.

Lasts longer, yeah.

Versatile? Not really. Cast Iron does two things really well, searing and developing fond. Non-Stick can do those things too, just not as well. All other basic techniques can be done with both (finishing in the oven, reducing sauces, etc). The only thing I can think of a cast iron being able to do that non stick doesn't is baking, roasting and cooking on coals / open fire. But your run of the mill home chef aint doing either of those things or using cookware designed for those techniques. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't know what Indian restaurant you're going to where flavor isn't hearty enough - most complaints I get are that it's almost too overpowering.

I'll give you the wet and mushy, to an extent. If you get into South Indian food, it tends to be different. Your chicken tikka masala and saag paneers are a wet, gloopy mess. Your masala dosa and beef biyrani isn't as gloopy.

One last note - curry isn't strictly Indian food. The best curries I've had are usually Thai curries (massamun curry is arguably my favorite).

Bruh, you're missing the point. It's not the flavor, it's the texture. It tastes like every single thing is just a stew.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bruh, you're missing the point. It's not the flavor, it's the texture. It tastes like every single thing is just a stew.

I missed nothing! Find South Indian food!

Masala Dosa is basically an Indian crepe with meat, lentils and potatoes! Biyrani is Indian fried rice! Both are freaking awesome!

Nothing about that is stew!

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Garlic naan, chicken tikka masala and saag paneer over jasmin rice is incredibly simple and delicious. You can tell the quality of an Indian restaurant by the quality of their tikka masala, saag paneer and naan. 

when i go to indian place, i always get garlic naan and  tandoori chicken

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

when i go to indian place, i always get garlic naan and  tandoori chicken

And that's a solid combo - I'd suggest you add in some saag paneer or chicken tikka masala. So good... and technically not a curry. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Anyone who puts any form of slaw into a food is not making authentic stuff, IMO. 

Yeah, then you're making Salvadorean food.

As for Indian food, Chana masala all day.  Or like anything vindaloo.

Thai curry is gross, because coconut is gross.  Japanese curry is aight.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

paneer is ucky to me

My wife is addicted to it - she calls it Indian spinach and artichoke dip. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

As for Indian food, Chana masala all day.  Or like anything vindaloo.

Oooh, you like that spicy stuff. Lamb vindaloo is the best, I love it with some paratha (which is a lot like naan, but a softer, chewier consistency). 

Chana masala is a great add on to me - I don't think I can eat it on its own, I'll need something to join it. 

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Thai curry is gross, because coconut is gross. 

I can see where you can come to that conclusion, it's very coconut heavy. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Japanese curry is aight

I've never had that before, I'm usually getting sushi or steak at a Japanese restaurant. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I've never had that before, I'm usually getting sushi or steak at a Japanese restaurant. 

I spent the latter half of my 20s dating first gen. Asian girls, so I haven't eaten a lot of that food in restaurants, but I've made a lot of it.  It's pretty easy to whip up.

I'd definitely do sushi over it at a restaurant, because that is an absolute pain to make at home IMO.

• Like 1