Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

10 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Not going to lie, iv never heard of pickled onions. And I love onions, so I’m pretty damn intrigued right now.

10 hours ago, Dome said:

Google “quick pickled onions”

I usually do a quick pickle for onions.  I save the pickle juice (usually sweet or bread and butter), pour in a quarter cup of red wine vinegar to strengthen it, then cut onions into strips and put them in there for a day or two.  Deliciousness follows.

I don't think I've ever done a from scratch pickle for onions, except when they're just there to support okra.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, MrDrew said:

-Vinegar is one of the worst substances on Earth, and should never be used for anything.

-Lobsters are just water roaches that have no flavor. People only eat them for the texture and as an excuse to down a lot of butter. Crab is petty much the same, except they’re spiders.

-People that like Five Guys don’t like burgers, they like toppings. 

-BBQ done right, and seasoned right, doesn’t need sauce.

-Onions aren’t necessary.

-IPA is a fantastic style of beer. Very few breweries make it correctly.

-Gin is great. You’ve just had bad gin.

-Japanese Whiskey > Scotch

You were batting an impressive 0/6, until you got to the Gin, which was a partial redeemer.  Only to scuttle it again with bizarre Japanese Whiskey takes that just reek of price snobbery.

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

You were batting an impressive 0/6, until you got to the Gin, which was a partial redeemer.  Only to scuttle it again with bizarre Japanese Whiskey takes that just reek of price snobbery.

You confuse me. The smell of vinegar overpowers anything you could taste, and the flavor overpowers everything else. Same with onions. I could see liking the big flavors, but then you turn directions and disagree about the water bugs having little to no flavor.

The Five Guys thing is impossible to argue. They don't season the burger because they expect people to put a lot of stuff on it. If you're anti-vinegar like me, and that takes away most of the toppings, you get a flavorless slab of decently cooked meat. If you enjoy their burgers, you probably pile a lot of toppings on it.

An IPA is supposed to be a sweet and malty beer to start, and have enough hops with the bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Somewhere along the way somebody used a lot of hops to coverup a bad beer, and it somehow became the standard. Very few make a balanced IPA anymore, and most people will never try one because of overly hoppy ones they've had.

If you're talking about price snobbery, and trying to make Scotch out to be the good guy in that conversation, you've never shopped for Scotch. Both are too expensive, but I'd go for the Japanese stuff if I was going to spend the money.

36 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

You confuse me. The smell of vinegar overpowers anything you could taste, and the flavor overpowers everything else. Same with onions. I could see liking the big flavors, but then you turn directions and disagree about the water bugs having little to no flavor.

The Five Guys thing is impossible to argue. They don't season the burger because they expect people to put a lot of stuff on it. If you're anti-vinegar like me, and that takes away most of the toppings, you get a flavorless slab of decently cooked meat. If you enjoy their burgers, you probably pile a lot of toppings on it.

An IPA is supposed to be a sweet and malty beer to start, and have enough hops with the bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Somewhere along the way somebody used a lot of hops to coverup a bad beer, and it somehow became the standard. Very few make a balanced IPA anymore, and most people will never try one because of overly hoppy ones they've had.

If you're talking about price snobbery, and trying to make Scotch out to be the good guy in that conversation, you've never shopped for Scotch. Both are too expensive, but I'd go for the Japanese stuff if I was going to spend the money.

It's about context man.

You don't drown a water bug in vinegar or other flavours.  It's got it covered.  Just some butter, and we're good.  It'd be insane to do so.

The rest of it though...

You make it sound like smashed beef with cheese on it doesn't have a perfect flavour.  But it kinda does.  Salt, pepper, beef = burger, and then add cheese and the perfect bun, and you've nailed it imo.  It's not like 5 Guys is my favourite...but i like variety, within narrow confines.

Japanese Scotch costs easily 3 or 4 times the price of a rock solid 12 year single malt here.  Very much not even close to worth it.

5 hours ago, MrDrew said:

The piney IPAs are where its at.

5 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Somewhere along the way somebody used a lot of hops to coverup a bad beer, and it somehow became the standard.

Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, the very origin of IPAs was that beer being shipped to India in the olden days had a tendency to spoil before they arrived, so IPAs came into being as a super bitter beer to do that.

I’ve never heard of IPAs being sweet by design. And every IPA I ever tried before they became such a popular beer was really bitter.

• Like 1

My unpopular truth: scotch is the worst form of alcohol.

I'll take absolute gutter-quality American or even Canadian whiskey before I'll go for a scotch. I'll take a wine cooler over scotch. I'll stay sober before I drink scotch. The fact that Scotland got whiskey so wrong when they are so close to Ireland, is almost as baffling as how England got beer so wrong while beeing so close to Belgium. Terrible.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

I usually do a quick pickle for onions.  I save the pickle juice (usually sweet or bread and butter), pour in a quarter cup of red wine vinegar to strengthen it, then cut onions into strips and put them in there for a day or two.  Deliciousness follows.

I don't think I've ever done a from scratch pickle for onions, except when they're just there to support okra.

Do you eat the onions with salt?

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

My unpopular truth: scotch is the worst form of alcohol.

I'll take absolute gutter-quality American or even Canadian whiskey before I'll go for a scotch. I'll take a wine cooler over scotch. I'll stay sober before I drink scotch. The fact that Scotland got whiskey so wrong when they are so close to Ireland, is almost as baffling as how England got beer so wrong while beeing so close to Belgium. Terrible.

tenor.gif

• Like 5

Five guys is just a plain *** ground beef patty....

so maybe people that get them actuslly like burgers more than other folks, not less.

We’re the ones seasoning stuff to make it taste less like hamburger, tbh.

man, I’m gonna have to rethink everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Five guys is just a plain *** ground beef patty....

so maybe people that get them actuslly like burgers more than other folks, not less.

We’re the ones seasoning stuff to make it taste less like hamburger, tbh.

man, I’m gonna have to rethink everything.

The real full actualization moment...is when you realize...

FirsthandWeepyAzurewingedmagpie-size_res

It's actually kinda easy.  Just get nice bread and cheese and toppings, and some ground beef.  Stack it all up ~4 high, and then smash the **** out of it with something.  Then throw it onto a griddle or pan cranked up nice.  Salt, pepper.  Delicious.

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Do you eat the onions with salt?

Nah, I usually put them on sandwiches. Or eat them plain, with my fingers, usually while drunk.

Though a pickled pearl onion makes a good martini garnish.

Edited by Daniel

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, the very origin of IPAs was that beer being shipped to India in the olden days had a tendency to spoil before they arrived, so IPAs came into being as a super bitter beer to do that.

I’ve never heard of IPAs being sweet by design. And every IPA I ever tried before they became such a popular beer was really bitter.

You are remembering correctly. Extra hops were added as a way to help preserve it. Super bitter might not be the correct way to say it though. Definitely more hoppy at the end than other beers.

I explained that a little off from what I actually wanted to say. An IPA should be a pretty malty beer with some sweetness, and then finishes with hops to balance it out. It's always going to be more hoppy than other styles, but it doesn't have to be overpowering with bitterness. The hops should be the star of the show, but not drive off the supporting cast.