Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Filet have a place. You know, I used to date a girl, she was a professionally trained dancer. Real petite, and her job kind of required her to stay petite - trying to do the crazy, high concept dancing stuff she did meant she couldn't really put weight on, she had to stay skinny.

Whenever we'd go to steakhouses, she'd order the filet - it was a good, flavorful, juicy cut - all the flavor in the world, and perfect for someone who was watching their figure.

So, if you're really watching that figure, filet is the way.

No, filet has the same tenderness and flavor of a Ribeye but you don't have to throw away half of it cutting out all of the fat.  Its a far superior cut of meat.  

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

No, filet has the same tenderness and flavor of a Ribeye but you don't have to throw away half of it cutting out all of the fat.  Its a far superior cut of meat.  

Why would you cut out the fat?

Unless you're watching your figure, have at it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Me reading this right now:

giphy.gif

WHAT ARE YOU DOING????? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I’m with you on not eating fat, or at least not big pieces of it, but I can’t roll with saying a filet has as much flavor as any cut from a rib.

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What I'm doing is ordering a superior cut of meat.  

A couple things:

1. You're wrong, but I'll at least listen to someone who prefers a filet. It's a legitimate argument.

2. You're eating/cooking a Ribeye incorrectly regardless.

Just now, MWil23 said:

A couple things:

1. You're wrong, but I'll at least listen to someone who prefers a filet. It's a legitimate argument.

2. You're eating/cooking a Ribeye incorrectly regardless.

No I'm not.  I understand its a marbled piece of meat, I cook it whole and then cut out the fat afterwards.  There is a substantial amount of fat in the ribeye which I do not like to eat, so a lot of it ends up discarded.  There are time where I will eat a ribeye, I have a nice steak salad recipe where I cook and carve the ribeye and put it in the salad, but if I'm eating a steak as is in its normal form I'm getting a filet.  

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Please don’t ever treat ribeye like you butcher fraternity cats used to treat hanger steaks 😉

Hanger steak is old news, we don’t even sell them. I personally think flap/flank/skirt/hanger steaks are all overrated. Theres a pretty obvious reason they’re cheaper then ribs and tenderloins, it’s cause they’re not as good lmao 

the “money muscle” or “competition muscle” is the new one people think is their little secret. 

I don’t push them as great cuts because they’re a pain to cut with a ton of trim created, but they’re really good.

You think avocados suck at home (they do), think of how they are in restaurants.  There's no guarantee the state they'll be in when they're delivered will be a useful one.  They have a very short window of being serviceable.   They're either too hard to  eat, or they're too brown to be presentable.  Either way they taste like a big green slice of nothing.  We have a sandwich that's lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, and avocado.  So basically it's a nothing sandwich; bread and cheese with filler vegetables, condiments really, and some avocado on top.  People will pay money for this.  Sometimes they'll request we leave off certain items.  Oh, so you'd like more nothing?  Coming right up.

• Like 1