Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

On 11/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, y*so*blu said:

Let 'em fly! We all have our game day favorites, but we also have foods we just can't get on board with, no matter how many people insist they are great. Here's my list.

1. Avocados. What is the modern fascination with these? They don't taste any better than they did five or ten years ago. Their texture hasn't improved. They are still bland and unappetizing. You guys can have all the avocados, I'll pass.

2. Bananas. Another mushy fruit I never developed a taste for, except in my grandmother's banana bread. I'll eat that all day long.

3. Bacon in desserts. Just no. Stop pretending these flavors go together. I love bacon in almost all forms, but not on my donuts or in my ice cream. 

4. Sea salt with caramel. See third sentence of #3.

5. Pineapple on pizza. This will never work for me.

Avocados are primarily eaten for the texture. The lack of flavor is due to the fact it has practically no sugar and it's literally just fat. You can make an epic chocolate pudding with avocados.

Bananas are popular because they're easy to eat and they're dirt cheap. However, the banana we have today is a watered down fraud of the banana our grandparents ate, the Gros michel.

I'm personally a MAJOR sucker for salty/sweet, which is the main draw for bacon and sea salt caramel.

Pineapple pizza is heresy.

My personal controversial food opinions:

1. Mayonnaise is disgusting and ruins everything. Same goes to sour cream.

2. I like anchovy pizza.

3. I do my due diligence to eat right, but I HATE salads.

4. Onion rings > fries

Edited by Elky

-I hate the whole "salty + sweet" thing people rave about.  It sucks.  I just want salty things.  Or very occasionally, something sweet.  The combo just makes the salty thing taste less good.

-Tomatoes suck, in any form that isn't more or less pulverized.  In which case, they are amazing.  I have no idea how i can hate tomatoes, but absolute adore and basically subsist on tomato-based sauces.

-Don't eat fungus you weird mushroom eating people.  It's gross.

-Mustard is disgusting and inedible (partly because i'm mildly allergic, and mostly because it tastes horrendously bad).

-Sesame oil makes things taste like rubber.

oh, also...

-Bananas are pretty okay and convenient, as long as they don't smush.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2019 at 8:20 PM, Forge said:

Don't care for bananas themselves, but love the flavor. If there's a banana flavored drink, that is usually my choice.

I'm extremely anti salt period. So anything with sea salt is kind of  a non starter for me

Honestly, this is probably true.  Fake banana flavour is up there with fake cherry flavour as..."better than the actual fruit".  They're both real champs.

On that note, probably that banana-flavoured Amoxicillin you get sometimes as a kid, is the only acceptable form of fungi consumption as a culinary pursuit maybe.  Though it's probably synthetic and not actually a mold spore or whatevs.

Anti-salt is just...baffling though.  Salt is tremendous.  If there's a salt-flavoured drink, that is usually my choice.

Errr...nevermind.  But still, salt is tremendous in and on actual food.  Less good in drinks.

On 03/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, y*so*blu said:

5. Pineapple on pizza. This will never work for me.

I think you can probably just expand this to...any Fruit that isn't a Tomato, on a Pizza.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, Dome said:

Crock pots

me agree, me give tiny football.

Dutch Oven in the Oven yields much better results. Crock Pots are a PR success story, nothing more. Flavors never turn out correct, everything always has a mushy texture, etc. Causes your house to smell like a spice diaper since you have to over season everything to ensure all the flavors don't cook out.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

me agree, me give tiny football.

Dutch Oven in the Oven yields much better results. Crock Pots are a PR success story, nothing more. Flavors never turn out correct, everything always has a mushy texture, etc. Causes your house to like a spice diaper since you have to over season everything to ensure all the flavors don't cook out.

I use mine quite often, but won’t defend it as a quality cooking machine. 

I think Americans (and the Brits) have a unhealthy obsession with breakfast that's literally killing the country, and breakfast as a meal is a relic of the past that needs to return to the past. Traditional English-American breakfast is built to be farmer fuel, which none of us are. Most of us literally sit on our rear-ends all day staring at a screen. Modern humans do not need the 1800-2400 calories associated with breakfast. On top of it, the other half of breakfast "food" is desert masquerading as a meal. Ceral, donuts, pastries, Oatmeal etc is literally cake by another name. It also doesn't help most peoples "Coffee" is sugary milk.

In short, breakfast should be a special occasion meal, DEFINATELY not an "I need this to exist" meal. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I think Americans (and the Brits) have a unhealthy obsession with breakfast that's literally killing the country, and breakfast as a meal is a relic of the past that needs to return to the past. Traditional English-American breakfast is built to be farmer fuel, which none of us are. Most of us literally sit on our rear-ends all day staring at a screen. Modern humans do not need the 1800-2400 calories associated with breakfast. On top of it, the other half of breakfast "food" is desert masquerading as a meal. Ceral, donuts, pastries, Oatmeal etc is literally cake by another name. It also doesn't help most peoples "Coffee" is sugary milk.

In short, breakfast should be a special occasion meal, DEFINATELY not an "I need this to exist" meal. 

I eat breakfast like twice a month but that’s just because I usually don’t get hungry until like noon 

I do like breakfast for dinner though 

Edited by Dome