Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

15 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I can't say it's disgusting. I thoroughly enjoy eating lobster. Now, is it overrated and overpriced? 100%!! I'll never pay for lobster much like I'll never pay for crab. 

Lobster is insanely overrated.

So are New York strip steaks 

24 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I can't say it's disgusting. I thoroughly enjoy eating lobster. Now, is it overrated and overpriced? 100%!! I'll never pay for lobster much like I'll never pay for crab. 

I happily pay for king crab legs.  Not all the time, but as an occasional treat?  Oh hell yes.

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

So are New York strip steaks 

Oh dear god yes, I have no idea why they’re so popular.

Ribeye?  I get it.

Filet?  Yep, get that too.

Even cheaper cuts like a hanger steak for their comparative value, I get that also.

Strip steaks just do nothing for me.  Literally never ordered one at a restaurant and would honestly rather have a good burger.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh dear god yes, I have no idea why they’re so popular.

Ribeye?  I get it.

Filet?  Yep, get that too.

Even cheaper cuts like a hanger steak for their comparative value, I get that also.

Strip steaks just do nothing for me.  Literally never ordered one at a restaurant and would honestly rather have a good burger.

The only good thing about NY steaks is that sometimes I can trick my wife into eating it while I take the filet off the t-bone 

ribeye is still the best cut, by a country mile

i prefer flap steaks to hanger steaks if we’re talking about underrated cuts, but they’re both better than paying top shelf price for a NY

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

The only good thing about NY steaks is that sometimes I can trick my wife into eating it while I take the filet off the t-bone 

*porterhouse* you peasant.

ribeye is still the best cut, by a country mile

For me it’s tied with a filet depending on my mood.  I know the filet doesn’t have the flavor, but I love the tenderness and usually can supplant the flavor with toppings like mushrooms, onions, blue cheese, compound butter, thyme, garlic, etc.

i prefer flap steaks to hanger steaks if we’re talking about underrated cuts, but they’re both better than paying top shelf price for a NY

Never had a flap steak, will have to check it out.  What’s the best way to prepare it?

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I happily pay for king crab legs.  Not all the time, but as an occasional treat?  Oh hell yes.

Occasional treat, I can get. If it's a regular thing, you must make a quarter million a year lol. I usually only eat then if they're purchased for me. If I'm going to a seafood spot, I'm getting salmon. I've been known to enjoy swordfish as well but I don't get it too often

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

*porterhouse* you peasant.

we mark them as the same thing where I work

so people who know what they’re looking for get the porterhouses 

the plebeians get a bone-in NY steak with a tiny piece of filet hanging on 

For me it’s tied with a filet depending on my mood.  I know the filet doesn’t have the flavor, but I love the tenderness and usually can supplant the flavor with toppings like mushrooms, onions, blue cheese, compound butter, thyme, garlic, etc.

100% ... you can spice it up.

I also wrap mine in cheap fatty bacon, each bite gets a small piece of bacon fat as it goes down the hatch 

Never had a flap steak, will have to check it out.  What’s the best way to prepare it?

Any way you want.

Rare, medium, well done... you can’t mess it up. Just marinate and grill, then slice really thin across the grain. The grain will be thick and obvious, it soaks up marinades really well 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Occasional treat, I can get. If it's a regular thing, you must make a quarter million a year lol. I usually only eat then if they're purchased for me. If I'm going to a seafood spot, I'm getting salmon. I've been known to enjoy swordfish as well but I don't get it too often

I don’t get them as restaurants, I buy them at the store and make them at home.

Theyre like $45 a pound and I’ll eat 2-3 pounds myself easily, so it’s something we so a few times a year.  I couldn’t imagine paying restaurant prices and getting like 8oz.

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

we mark them as the same thing where I work

so people who know what they’re looking for get the porterhouses 

the plebeians get a bone-in NY steak with a tiny piece of filet hanging on 

don’t know why I ever doubted you, apologies.

100% ... you can spice it up.

I also wrap mine in cheap fatty bacon, each bite gets a small piece of bacon fat as it goes down the hatch 

oh yes. I’ve yet to find anything bacon doesn’t improve.

Any way you want.

Rare, medium, well done... you can’t mess it up. Just marinate and grill, then slice really thin across the grain. The grain will be thick and obvious, it soaks up marinades really well 

So it should be marinated then?  I’m assuming it’s a fibrous cut that needs to tenderize a bit?

Do you ever do tomahawks?  How about dry aging or fancy stuff like wagyu?

• Like 1

Ribeye is my favorite to grill.  I use a spicy rub for it.  You wouldn't think that would be good, but it provides an excellent color and people who have had one of mine swear by it.  

I also tried the tomahawk ribeye, and would do it again.  

I've been meaning to do hanger steak, but I have to go to Sams and get it, and I hate dealing with their line after getting off work- same for the tomahawk.  

Honestly, if someone knows what they are doing, they can turn something like flank or round steak (what most would call london broil) into a really good, flavorful slice of meat and not spend nearly as much money.  I'd put my own round steak method up against anything.  But it's gotta marinate overnight (and when I do it for special occasions, it sits for 48 hours.) 

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

don’t know why I ever doubted you, apologies.

oh yes. I’ve yet to find anything bacon doesn’t improve.

So it should be marinated then?  I’m assuming it’s a fibrous cut that needs to tenderize a bit?

Do you ever do tomahawks?  How about dry aging or fancy stuff like wagyu?

I’ve cooked pork loin tomahawks, not with a beef rib though.... as far as cutting them they’re more work than they’re worth, but if people want to pay the premium we’ll do them up all fancy for folks. Not something we keep in the case though, you’d have to order special.

and yeah you want to flap to marinate for sure. treat it like a flank steak.