Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, just a junk one for beer at the lake.

You should be able to do this:

It won't be quite as precise as sous vide, but it'll give you a pretty good idea of what a sous vide steak is like and if you will find it worth the investment.

Do it for couple hours to really tenderize it, following the advice here, and since you're doing it in a low end cooler, you'll probably need to change the water once or twice. Just use a thermometer to check the temp of the water and change as needed.

Do it right, and you won't even need a knife

WlieoC1.gif

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:07 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Peanut butter sandwiches and homemade chili is a tough duo to beat.

I like sandwiches that have peanut butter, banana, cheese, raisins, and hot sauce.  Peanut butter goes well with so many things.

I also put hot sauce on bananas when I eat them as a snack.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:19 AM, Heimdallr said:

gorgonzola >> blue cheese

If you are putting it on steak, make a cream sauce. Preferably also with some gnocchi. 

Isn't gorgonzola a kind of blue cheese?

Also, tenderness on a steak is overrated.

11 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Never even heard of this French meat boiler thing. Just looked it up and it seems interesting. Is there really a difference between one that costs $75 and one that costs $200??

I assume they're talking about Sous vide, right?

It's on Iron Chef all the time. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I assume they're talking about Sous vide, right?

It's on Iron Chef all the time. 

I dunno. It's all new to me lol. I don't eat a lot of steak b/c my wife isn't a red meat gal so I am generally unaware of all the fancy things that exist associated w/ steaks. I saw "ribeye flavor w/ fillet tenderness" and it caught my eye to say the least lol. I'll look more into it though

On 4/20/2020 at 2:57 PM, pwny said:

It won't be quite as precise as sous vide, but it'll give you a pretty good idea of what a sous vide steak is like and if you will find it worth the investment.

Do it for couple hours to really tenderize it, following the advice here, and since you're doing it in a low end cooler, you'll probably need to change the water once or twice. Just use a thermometer to check the temp of the water and change as needed.

Before I got my water oven I just used a pot on the stove w/ a thermometer and kept a very very close eye on it. It worked just as well, but was way more tedious. Just need water, heat control and time and you'll get yourself a good steak!