Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Not about the location. just about the people making it. About 35mins east of Cleveland there is an awesome Mexican place. I had an old job where we would go all the time. It was such great food. The area had a very strong Mexican population, so it was very authentic food. 

There's a Mexican market down the street from me, and their food is amazing.  They have chicharrons the size of my head, menudo, handmade tortillas, etc.  Keep in mind we moved here in November, and I came from a town with a big Mexican population and lots of good Mexican food, so I was thrilled.

Well, Muslims bought it in February.  There will still be Mexican food, but no pork.  Or offal.  Or anything not halal.  It had been there for decades before that.

Also across the street from that is a Chinese place with awesome Chinese food (American Chinese stuff), also there for decades, just closed after our second visit there.

So yeah.  Enjoy that, I guess.

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There will still be Mexican food, but no pork.

no chorizo? Its a no go then...

The guy that introduced to the mexican place I talked about. He was an immigrant. Only moved to Ohio cause the company relocated him from Cali. He would bring in food all the time that his wife would make. Man, his wfie made a killer Mole sauce.

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

ever been to la mexicana? thats the place I am talking about. Very authentic. Built connected right to a liquor store

Nah, I’m clear down in the other side of the state.

Anytime I’m up in NE Ohio I usually eat in Canton/Akron with family.  Crave Cantina is nice.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

The guy that introduced to the mexican place I talked about. He was an immigrant. Only moved to Ohio cause the company relocated him from Cali. He would bring in food all the time that his wife would make. Man, his wfie made a killer Mole sauce.

Best Mexican and best mole I’ve ever had.

https://www.rediguana.com

If you’re ever in SLC, it’s a must.

25 minutes ago, buno67 said:

For me it's the lack of lard, mostly.  It's in tamales, tortillas, refried beans...dang near everything.  Also that means no alpastor, no buche, no carnitas.  It really, really limits the menu.

Then removing the offal is just adding insult to injury.  No tripe.

41 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For me it's the lack of lard, mostly.  It's in tamales, tortillas, refried beans...dang near everything.  Also that means no alpastor, no buche, no carnitas.  It really, really limits the menu.

Then removing the offal is just adding insult to injury.  No tripe.

Well I hope they aren’t surprised when the business fails...

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

There's a Mexican market down the street from me, and their food is amazing.  They have chicharrons the size of my head, menudo, handmade tortillas, etc.  Keep in mind we moved here in November, and I came from a town with a big Mexican population and lots of good Mexican food, so I was thrilled.

Well, Muslims bought it in February.  There will still be Mexican food, but no pork.  Or offal.  Or anything not halal.  It had been there for decades before that.

Also across the street from that is a Chinese place with awesome Chinese food (American Chinese stuff), also there for decades, just closed after our second visit there.

So yeah.  Enjoy that, I guess.

Reminds me of a doughnut place near me.  Someone bought this shop which was owned for decades and tanked it.  Changed the hours, changed the recipes, ingredients, it was really bad.  They sold it six months later to another local couple who changed everything back and it is now thriving again.  

You buy a place that is succeeding, and make fundamental changes.  It makes no sense.  They should just open up another restaurant without pork, or buy a restaurant that doesn't have it to begin with.  

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

I love working with a team of immigrants.  We do potlucks a couple times a year, and it is fantastic eating.  I did a cookout and thanksgiving dinner at my house this year, and we had so much food it was ridiculous.  

10 hours ago, pwny said:

Here’s an unpopular opinion:

Having lived in Texas for nearly two years now, and having gone to a bunch of “must eat” places across the state, I can confidently say that Texas’s Mexican food scene is overrated and mediocre at best. I have had far better Mexican food in California, Chicago and even Portland than I’ve had in all the big cities here.

There is a large Hispanic population around Annapolis and it's led to some great local restaurants as well as food trucks.  

The best though is in a small college town called Westminster.  They have a lot of good local restaurants, including a family restaurant that's been there for over 60 years.  But this Mexican place is authentic recipes from the home country.  

There is also a Latin restaurant that opened down the street from me, and I didn't think our community would embrace them, but they are packed every day for lunch and dinner and do healthy carryout business.  They have received a ton of support, and the owners are a husband and wife who grew up in the restaurant industry and he is from El Salvador.  Best tacos I've ever had.  

On 5/19/2020 at 4:31 AM, Tugboat said:

The North Atlantic coast full of delicious Lobsters and Snow Crabs would indicate otherwise imo.

That and the cod that's used in fish n chips.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 4:49 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

Do I have anyone else from like PA, MD, VA, NJ who is willing to go to war about Sheetz vs Wawa with me?

Sheetz blows Wawa away as far as most of the MTO stuff, but I will say the Turkey, Bacon, egg, and cheddar panini I got from Wawa was pretty damn good.  Best thing I've gotten from either store, but I'm taking Sheetz overall.

Also gonna throw this out there... My local Rutter's gets pork belly that's locally sourced.  I get it in a breakfast burrito with cheddar or pepper jack, tomato, black olives, mayo, old bay and cheddar.  It's a filling burrito, the pork belly is actually pretty damn good (it's seasoned really well), and it's only about $5.  Well worth it.

Edited by ravens_rool28