Jaguars to start Nick Foles

RaidersAreOne

20 hours ago, topwop1 said:

How do we know that Foles will not be there going forward?  Unless they can find a trading partner willing to take on Foles salary and cap hits for the next few years then they will have to take on a dead cap hit of at least $21M for 2020 and more in the years that follow if they outright release him.  That doesn't seem like a likely scenario.

I thought we could release him after next season with not a ton of dead money like it was 4 for 88 but fully guaranteed thru 2 years

I love how this decision somehow calls into question every move we’ve made and how this is why we’re terrible. Minshew played far better than anyone expected but we still only went 4-5 and didnt beat any good teams. He won the games we should and lost the ones we probably should as well. Some weren’t his fault like the Carolina game and some were. I’m not surprised by this decision and maybe money had something to do with it but i think if we beat Houston last week on the shoulders on Minshew this is a different conversation entirely

I dont think this decision was obvious because we know what Foles can do but we also know what he did was with a team with far superior weapons and OL. We havent seen him do it with us 

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832
  • Like 1

Right decision. Minshew is fun to watch and is going to be a good player, but he has ball security issues and the Jaguars are still in contention for the playoffs. Make the change to the guy who is a proven winner. Foles plays better when he sits the first half of the season anyway.

41 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I thought we could release him after next season with not a ton of dead money like it was 4 for 88 but fully guaranteed thru 2 years

After 2020 yes, it's not that big a of dead cap hit, but if they were to release him after this season then that is where it would hurt the Jags cap for next season.

Shocked at some of you. pwny, AZ_Eaglesfan, and Nabbs4u are the only ones in this thread who actually have business experience, clearly.

They paid $88m for a QB who is now healthy, and they are 4-5 and in a position to still make the playoffs as a wildcard -- you play that guy you paid. Minshew has been an above average rookie QB, and that's good for them, but Foles is superior. You can't justify it to the owner of your team why you paid heavily for a solid QB with Super Bowl experience to sit on the sideline behind an above average rookie QB when you had a chance to make the playoffs. 

Edited by joru1000
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

If he plays poorly, then his trade value is diminished. Don't play him and perhaps other teams remember his heroics for the Eagles. 

If he plays well then his trade value goes up though? This argument just doesn't make sense. Foles is almost certainly going to be a Jaguar next season regardless with that contract so I doubt they are looking at trade value of him as a big factor in their decision.

If you want to make the playoffs, you play the best QB on the roster which is Foles. End of story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

After 2020 yes, it's not that big a of dead cap hit, but if they were to release him after this season then that is where it would hurt the Jags cap for next season.

If anything he'd get traded. He's not getting cut though.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Sure, after next season, it's only like $12.5M dead if Foles is cut.  But it's virtually impossible to cut him before that.  He'd cost more cut, than he does on the roster for next year.  It's pretty much set in stone, that Foles and Minshew are going to be the QBs on the Jaguars roster next year.  Really just a matter of deciding who is the starter and backup between them.

2 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

If he plays poorly, then his trade value is diminished. Don't play him and perhaps other teams remember his heroics for the Eagles. 

The above, makes Foles prospective "trade value" effectively a moot point.  It'd cost the Jaguars a fortune to trade him.  They're stuck in to the Foles experiment until at least 2021...for better or worse.  Whether he retains the starting job, or loses it back to Minshew.

That's why it makes more sense to get Foles in there right now, and see what you've really got, and if it can make a difference.  Dragging out the switch would just make everything far more awkward and harder to pull off, the longer you drag it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joru1000 said:

Shocked at some of you. pwny, AZ_Eaglesfan, and Nabbs4u are the only ones in this thread who actually have business experience, clearly.

They paid $88m for a QB who is now healthy, and they are 4-5 and in a position to still make the playoffs as a wildcard -- you play that guy you paid. Minshew has been an above average rookie QB, and that's good for them, but Foles is superior. You can't justify it to the owner of your team why you paid heavily for a solid QB with Super Bowl experience to sit on the sideline behind an above average rookie QB when you had a chance to make the playoffs. 

I find this comment hilarious because good business people do not make decisions based on sunk costs. The money being paid to foles is a sunk cost, and should not be used to evaluate future decisions. 

Its called the marginals principle 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

According to classical economics and traditional microeconomic theory, only prospective (future) costs are relevant to a rational decision.[5] At any moment in time, the best thing to do depends only on current alternatives.[6] The only things that matter are the future consequences.[7] Past mistakes are irrelevant .... In other words, people should not let sunk costs influence their decisions; sunk costs are irrelevant to rational decisions.

Starting foles is the right decision, but not because of the money. Its because today, at this moment of time, he gives them the best chance to win. 

• Like 3