Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

Best thanksgiving: I think it was 2008.  this will sound weird, but it was the one  year it was just my dad, my brother and I. it wasn’t good because the rest of my family was gone, it was good because of how we revived what we thought was gonna be a crappy Thanksgiving 

My mom and my youngest sister were in Honduras on a mission trip, my middle (half) sister was with her mom and their family and my oldest (half) sister was with her boyfriend and his family. 

my dad my bro and I made a 3 person feast. We made turkey and ham and beef ribs. All the sides, multiple desserts. We dined like kings that year. Was a ton of fun, just the 3 of us.

worst thanksgiving: 2006... my grandma (dads side) had died in June of that year, and my grandpa (also on my dads side) had died in October. So it was a big change to not see them on thanksgiving.

I will say, the silver lining was knowing they didn’t have to go through a thanksgiving without each other cause they both loved thanksgiving a lot 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Hell yeah 

Ask and receive, brotherham.  I don't work in specific amounts, but I could try if pressed.

Cook bacon in a pan.  I use a large pan and mostly cover the bottom with bacon, but you can use as much or as little as you like.  Remove the bacon but leave the grease!  Put the bacon aside to cool.

I use two small bags of sprouts.  Remove the stem ends, quarter them (halves are fine for smaller ones) and put them in a bowl along with a large yellow onion,sliced thin.   Only using one bag of sprouts?  Half the onion.

Now, I originally put butter in the pan but stopped a couple of years ago and no one really noticed, so it's up to you if you want to or not.  Put a little butter in the pan and let it melt, then add minced garlic and the sprouts/onions.  Saute those in the butter and bacon grease for awhile then add some dry white wine.  I like to use dirt cheap Aldi or Walmart sauv blanc, but any will do.  Just make sure it's not sweet.  Ruined the dish that way once.  I probably end up using a 1/4th of a bottle, but once again that's in a big pan.  Then cover and turn down the heat, let that simmer til they're soft.  Crumble up the bacon and stir it in, then salt and pepper to taste.  You WILL have people insisting you bring this to family occasions, so be forewarned.

Edited by DaveDX
  • Like 1

You eat, and nap, and eat, and watch football, and eat, and as an added bonus, you should watch this gem.

91h3qAJ6faL._RI_.jpg

"Awesome" movie starring Turkie.

Edit: Put awesome in quotation marks.  It's an intentionally D-level horror film, but it's very funny.  Very crass, but funny.

Edited by DaveDX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

who's got a killer mac and cheese recipe.

I've found a couple online but I trust you guys more.

Eh, there are a lot of ways to make a great mac and cheese IMO.

I'd advise against making a bechamel sauce for the cheese, like so many people seem to want to do now.  Cook the pasta in stock/broth, add some heavy cream and a melty cheese and you're good to go.  I like to add sauteed onions and garlic, roasted butternut squash, spinach, and miso to mine with a little cayenne and a lot of black pepper, but put whatever other veggies/meats/other accompaniments you typically like in your food (roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes, diced chiles, sausage, bacon, etc.) and it'll be bomb.

If you like the baked top, combine butter, breadcrumbs, and parmesean cheese, put it on top, and bake in an oven covered for like 20 minutes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DaveDX said:

As a kid: Extremely overrated.

As a teen/college age/super hungry kid: Underrated.

As a grownup who doesn't see their extended family a much as they should: extremely underrated.

Thanksgiving is the ****, this thread is spot on, and if you want my killer Brussels sprouts recipe, give me a hell yeah.

hell yeah

EDIT nvm, thanks!

What's the appropriate level of response to people putting up their Christmas lights right after Halloween? 

TP their house?

flaming pile of poo on their front porch?

Replace all the non-red/orange lights with thanksgiving appropriate colors?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveDX said:

Ask and receive, brotherham.  I don't work in specific amounts, but I could try if pressed.

Cook bacon in a pan.  I use a large pan and mostly cover the bottom with bacon, but you can use as much or as little as you like.  Remove the bacon but leave the grease!  Put the bacon aside to cool.

I use two small bags of sprouts.  Remove the stem ends, quarter them (halves are fine for smaller ones) and put them in a bowl along with a large yellow onion,sliced thin.   Only using one bag of sprouts?  Half the onion.

Now, I originally put butter in the pan but stopped a couple of years ago and no one really noticed, so it's up to you if you want to or not.  Put a little butter in the pan and let it melt, then add minced garlic and the sprouts/onions.  Saute those in the butter and bacon grease for awhile then add some dry white wine.  I like to use dirt cheap Aldi or Walmart sauv blanc, but any will do.  Just make sure it's not sweet.  Ruined the dish that way once.  I probably end up using a 1/4th of a bottle, but once again that's in a big pan.  Then cover and turn down the heat, let that simmer til they're soft.  Crumble up the bacon and stir it in, then salt and pepper to taste.  You WILL have people insisting you bring this to family occasions, so be forewarned.

What's the cook time?

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Ordered my entire Thanksgiving this year with Publix. They cook it and prep and I just have to pick it up.

2 hours ago, DaveDX said:

Mother in law does this. It’s fantastic. 

How much is a service like this? 

I’ve considered brining and smoking turkeys for pay, but I’d have to charge so much for it that it wasn’t a feasible strategy.