Alabama missing the playoffs

viper952

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Seems like a pretty good group of OOC games. On top of having to play LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia on and off. 

I got no horse in this race, I just have nothing else to discuss about CFB because BC is a dumpster fire

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/true-nonconference-road-games-prove-hazardous-to-college-football-playoff-hopes/amp/

Alabama hasn't played a true road game outside of the SEC since 2011 and won't until 2022 assuming those games even get played.

They played a garbage schedule. They did so intentionally. They thought their best chance of getting in was to win the conference and there was no reason to risk a loss out of conference. 

Well they gambled and lost. Pay up. They shouldn't get bailed out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/true-nonconference-road-games-prove-hazardous-to-college-football-playoff-hopes/amp/

Alabama hasn't played a true road game outside of the SEC since 2011 and won't until 2022 assuming those games even get played.

They played a garbage schedule. They did so intentionally. They thought their best chance of getting in was to win the conference and there was no reason to risk a loss out of conference. 

Well they gambled and lost. Pay up. They shouldn't get bailed out.

In terms of SOS they've finished

'11 - 3rd
'12 - 1st
'13 - 7th
'14 - 2nd
'15 - 1st
'16 - 1st
'17 - 6th
'18 - 1st
'19 -  Currently 9th

So really, this is more about people who hate Bama wanting them to face an absolute juggernaut of a schedule. I mean they haven't finished outside the top 10 in SOS once since 2011, and only finish outside the top 5 3 times yet all we hear is that they don't play a tough schedule. Seems pretty bogus.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's definitely an improvement of what it has been for them in regards to OOC.  I do still dislike the USC and Miami games being at neutral sites, would've been nice to see them doing home and homes.  It does seem like Alabama got the picture that their options for "neutral" site games were limited and started offering to do home and homes.

Yeah, and I mean people can crap on the "SEC! SEC! SEC!" thing all they want because well it is obnoxious but Bama plays, for the most part, a considerably harder in conference schedule than most other schools. People will just find something else to crap on though, Bama is the Patriots of CFB. Even if they schedule tough OOC games, people will find something to complain about. Reality of being the "top dog".

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

'11 - 3rd
'12 - 1st
'13 - 7th
'14 - 2nd
'15 - 1st
'16 - 1st
'17 - 6th
'18 - 1st
'19 -  Currently 9th

So really, this is more about people who hate Bama wanting them to face an absolute juggernaut of a schedule. I mean they haven't finished outside the top 10 in SOS once since 2011, and only finish outside the top 5 3 times yet all we hear is that they don't play a tough schedule. Seems pretty bogus.

Is that including the playoffs? Because if you make the championship game, you're all but guaranteed to end up as having faced an elite schedule.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah, and I mean people can crap on the "SEC! SEC! SEC!" thing all they want because well it is obnoxious but Bama plays, for the most part, a considerably harder in conference schedule than most other schools. People will just find something else to crap on though, Bama is the Patriots of CFB. Even if they schedule tough OOC games, people will find something to complain about. Reality of being the "top dog".

They have LSU, Aggie, and Auburn in their division. Everybody always forgets that Georgia and Florida aren't in their division. They don't play every year. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

'11 - 3rd
'12 - 1st
'13 - 7th
'14 - 2nd
'15 - 1st
'16 - 1st
'17 - 6th
'18 - 1st
'19 -  Currently 9th

Where are you getting the SOS numbers? Right now with Sagarin, it has Bama’s SOS at 54th in the nation right now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You literally wrote the paragraph of the post I deleted lol

That's because it shows there should be no excuse about "conference" games.  Sure LSU is better this year, but overall LSU/A&M/Auburn are very comparable to Penn State/Michigan State/Michigan and Ohio State NORMALLY had a vastly stronger OOC, not to mention having to play 9 conference games rather than 8 so they aren't able to schedule the extra "bye" near the end of the season.  I think the biggest thing that needs to happen more than holding teams to better OOC scheduling, is to require every conference to play 9 conference games.  Pretty sure on one of the games I remember hearing how no team that has to play a 9 game conference schedule has gone undefeated in a season yet, so the ACC and SEC only playing 8 is already a big advantage.

40 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's because it shows there should be no excuse about "conference" games.  Sure LSU is better this year, but overall LSU/A&M/Auburn are very comparable to Penn State/Michigan State/Michigan and Ohio State NORMALLY had a vastly stronger OOC, not to mention having to play 9 conference games rather than 8 so they aren't able to schedule the extra "bye" near the end of the season.  I think the biggest thing that needs to happen more than holding teams to better OOC scheduling, is to require every conference to play 9 conference games.  Pretty sure on one of the games I remember hearing how no team that has to play a 9 game conference schedule has gone undefeated in a season yet, so the ACC and SEC only playing 8 is already a big advantage.

Playing 8 conference games also just beefs up the teams records and than rankings. If you play that 9th game that means at least half the conference gets an extra loss. You schedule only 8 and fill in with a FCS team, it over inflates you. Over inflated rankings and then people think your awesome cause your beating overrated teams

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why does Alabama get a pass for not beating a team with a pulse???

If it helps, I don't like it. I've long said it should be conference champs if they want to play the "every game counts" card. 

But we can't kid ourselves into hypothesising against the committee's history. My previous statement was based on what the committee is likely to do and their justification for it. Trust me, I think it's bs too, but such is the farce of a "playoff" they gave us.

They won't miss the playoffs IMO, but that said:

If Alabama wins out, they will have defeated exactly 1 ranked team: Auburn, who would have at least 3 losses.

Alabama MIGHT be one of the best four teams (their defense isn't that good), but their resume from a "quality win" or even strength of schedule standpoint is garbage.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They won't miss the playoffs IMO, but that said:

If Alabama wins out, they will have defeated exactly 1 ranked team: Auburn, who would have at least 3 losses.

Alabama MIGHT be one of the best four teams (their defense isn't that good), but their resume from a "quality win" or even strength of schedule standpoint is garbage.

It will be interesting to see where they are tomorrow night. That will probably tell you all you need to know about them for the final rankings. Definitely a top 4-5 team. We will see how the committee evaluates them having no ranked wins though. Bama should be rooting for Auburn over UGA this week. If UGA loses, Bama’s signature win will be over a 4-loss Auburn, likely ranked around 20th.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

It will be interesting to see where they are tomorrow night. That will probably tell you all you need to know about them for the final rankings. Definitely a top 4-5 team. We will see how the committee evaluates them having no ranked wins though. Bama should be rooting for Auburn over UGA this week. If UGA loses, Bama’s signature win will be over a 4-loss Auburn, likely ranked around 20th.

The committee would be smart to put both Minnesota AND Baylor ahead of them so that they can buy themselves some time in where Bama is/should be in this whole mess. If they put Alabama in the 5 or 6 spot, they're setting themselves up for a major controversy NOW instead of later. 

Put in your undefeated Power 5 teams in Baylor/Minnesota and when they lose shuffle things around IMO.

Currently, how Bama has the 9th toughest SOS in hilarious:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

SOS =/= Quality wins though. They get rewarded for losing to #1 LSU on their own home field coming off of a bye in SOS.

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The committee would be smart to put both Minnesota AND Baylor ahead of them so that they can buy themselves some time in where Bama is/should be in this whole mess. If they put Alabama in the 5 or 6 spot, they're setting themselves up for a major controversy NOW instead of later. 

Put in your undefeated Power 5 teams in Baylor/Minnesota and when they lose shuffle things around IMO.

Currently, how Bama has the 9th toughest SOS in hilarious:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

SOS =/= Quality wins though. They get rewarded for losing to #1 LSU on their own home field coming off of a bye in SOS.

You need to use Sagarin. Teamrankins is terrible. 

• Like 1