Alabama missing the playoffs

viper952

The Alabama schedue thing is 100% a bit of both. Alabama has definitely tried to schedule OOC games, and many teams have simply turned them down. Saban has also certainly turned down some Home and Home games. Alabama usually opens the season with a very good game at a neutral site though, and I'm not really sure why people have an issue with that. A neutral site is...neutral.

The schedule looks far better looking forward and obviously as stated, Saban has been the biggest proponent of P5 schools only playing P5 schools but a lot of coaches scoff at the idea... Alabama is also hurt by the fact that their big rivals are all in conference. Teams like Georgia get Georgia State, Clemson gets South Carolina etc. every year for their rivalry game but Alabamas big in state rival is also an SEC school. Its funny that if Auburn wasn't in the SEC all of a sudden our schedule would be so much better because Auburn is an OOC game. Who cares, Alabama usually plays 3-4 really good teams throughout the season especially when they get Georgia and Florida on the slate.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

The Alabama schedue thing is 100% a bit of both. Alabama has definitely tried to schedule OOC games, and many teams have simply turned them down. Saban has also certainly turned down some Home and Home games. Alabama usually opens the season with a very good game at a neutral site though, and I'm not really sure why people have an issue with that. A neutral site is...neutral.

The schedule looks far better looking forward and obviously as stated, Saban has been the biggest proponent of P5 schools only playing P5 schools but a lot of coaches scoff at the idea... Alabama is also hurt by the fact that their big rivals are all in conference. Teams like Georgia get Georgia State, Clemson gets South Carolina etc. every year for their rivalry game but Alabamas big in state rival is also an SEC school. Its funny that if Auburn wasn't in the SEC all of a sudden our schedule would be so much better because Auburn is an OOC game. Who cares, Alabama usually plays 3-4 really good teams throughout the season especially when they get Georgia and Florida on the slate.

Please don't use Georgia State as a "big in-state rivalry."  It's a barely Group of 5 team.  Also the neutral site game is almost always in the south which means it is more likely for those that make the trip to be Alabama fans, not to mention they often have to travel a lesser distance.  I mean do a neutral site game in Indianapolis, New York, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc, not just in a location that is close to home for them.

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The 800 1st round draft picks on the roster.

Which again, as long as the committee is consistent, I don't have a problem with. That said, let's take a look at 2015 OSU:

Zeke Elliott

Michael Thomas

Marshawn Lattimore

Taylor Decker

Joey Bosa

...all starters who were either Pro Bowlers or All Pros. Then let's sprinkle in some other 1st rounders who are either solid pros or haven't quite panned out, like Billy Price, Darren Lee, Gareon Conley, and throw in some quality NFL starters taken in Rounds 2-4 like Vonn Bell and Nick Vannett.

All I'm asking for is consistency in logic and application of those teams that make it based upon the combined criteria and eye test.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Which again, as long as the committee is consistent, I don't have a problem with. That said, let's take a look at 2015 OSU:

Zeke Elliott

Michael Thomas

Marshawn Lattimore

Taylor Decker

Joey Bosa

...all starters who were either Pro Bowlers or All Pros. Then let's sprinkle in some other 1st rounders who are either solid pros or haven't quite panned out, like Billy Price, Darren Lee, Gareon Conley, and throw in some quality NFL starters taken in Rounds 2-4 like Vonn Bell and Nick Vannett.

All I'm asking for is consistency in logic and application of those teams that make it based upon the combined criteria and eye test.

I mean if you follow this thread (and have seen my replies in the past year+ on this), my opinion has always been that there are 4ish national teams that are just miles better than everyone else, and they should be the playoff teams. I don't really care if one of them loses to South Carolina in October, just put the teams that are clearly and obviously the best in the playoff.

And that's the case with Bama.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Raves said:

Please don't use Georgia State as a "big in-state rivalry."  It's a barely Group of 5 team.  Also the neutral site game is almost always in the south which means it is more likely for those that make the trip to be Alabama fans, not to mention they often have to travel a lesser distance.  I mean do a neutral site game in Indianapolis, New York, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc, not just in a location that is close to home for them.

I'm just saying, Alabamas in state rivalry is in conference so they don't get an automatic decent OOC game like most teams do. Florida - FSU, Clemson - USC etc.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean if you follow this thread (and have seen my replies in the past year+ on this), my opinion has always been that there are 4ish national teams that are just miles better than everyone else, and they should be the playoff teams. I don't really care if one of them loses to South Carolina in October, just put the teams that are clearly and obviously the best in the playoff.

And that's the case with Bama.

Right, like I said, I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is the difference in the whole "4 best teams" as well as the "clear cut criteria" that the committee has used in the past. They've boxed themselves in. Then again, we're pretending that they care about those teams making it. They don't. They care about their weekly TV show, ratings, money, and profiting off of controversy, all in partnering with ESPN.

14 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

ECU lost to Cincinnati 46-43. That should give you an idea of the 'quality' of the ranked teams OSU has faced. Cincinnati couldn't hold a jock strap compared to Florida or Bama.

Yet Cincy would be the biggest win if it was on Bama’s schedule 

just saying tOSU has destroyed teams that are still ranked nationally by the committee. Showing others think they are a good team. Bama might finish the season with only one team that is ranked that they beat

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Exactly. Bama doesn’t get these big time OOC games cause they refuse to play home and homes. There last big time away game for OOC was what PSU in ‘10 or something like that. 

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Exactly. Bama doesn’t get these big time OOC games cause they refuse to play home and homes. There last big time away game for OOC was what PSU in ‘10 or something like that. 

To be fair to Alabama, their future schedule does have a good list of home and home match-ups against good teams, or what should be good teams based on when they were scheduled. 

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Biggest problem is these neutral sites are normally about an hour drive from Bama. Also their second to last game of the year is a joke tune up game. This year, LSU bit them in the behind and Bama doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs. They'll be a 11-1 team with an unimpressive resume among a 12-1 (utes or ducks)  Pac-12 champ and a 12-1 (or 13-0 if Baylor wins out) Big 12 champ (Probably Sooners but could be Baylor).

I honestly believe it'll be OSU, LSU, Clem, and OU/Baylor. 

MC

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

To be fair to Alabama, their future schedule does have a good list of home and home match-ups against good teams, or what should be good teams based on when they were scheduled. 

No they usually do but then they turn them into one year neutral site games. I’ll truly be curious to see if they keep that ‘22 game @Texas and not move it. Neutral site games are nice but there not the same compared to going to someone else’s house. We have seen at least other big programs truly travel To the visitors stadium like tOSU going to VT,  Clemson going to A&M, tOSU going to Oregon next year. Those are just off the top of my head

4 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Biggest problem is these neutral sites are normally about an hour drive from Bama. Also their second to last game of the year is a joke tune up game. This year, LSU bit them in the behind and Bama doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs. They'll be a 11-1 team with an unimpressive resume among a 12-1 (utes or ducks)  Pac-12 champ and a 12-1 (or 13-0 if Baylor wins out) Big 12 champ (Probably Sooners but could be Baylor).

I honestly believe it'll be OSU, LSU, Clem, and OU/Baylor. 

MC

I would say it be OSU LSU CLem  And OU/Baylor/Oregon

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

No they usually do but then they turn them into one year neutral site games. I’ll truly be curious to see if they keep that ‘22 game @Texas and not move it. Neutral site games are nice but there not the same compared to going to someone else’s house. We have seen at least other big programs truly travel To the visitors stadium like tOSU going to VT,  Clemson going to A&M, tOSU going to Oregon next year. Those are just off the top of my head

Don't forget Ohio State home and homes with Texas and USC as well previously.