Alabama missing the playoffs

viper952

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well if you go back a few years then UGA is actually outside of the top 4, Ohio State even missed it a couple years.  Only Alabama and their practice of oversigning has consistently stayed in the top 4.

Also it's recruiting and development.  If you don't take those recruits and have them still look like top picks then it doesn't count.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Stop perpetuating this bull**** lie. Bama doesn't want to play anybody out of conference. That's why they reject every offer for a home and home series.

This is not true. We have scheduled home and away series with multiple teams including with Texas, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech and others.  We’ve had multiple schools turn down offers including Florida State.  

Every year we’ve played top 25 teams to open the season at neutral fields and have more lined up.  Yes, it’s at a neutral site but they’ve still been against good programs (until this year with Duke).  And everybody plays cupcakes so that narrative is played out. 

And let’s not forget the most important point being that Nick Saban has been the MOST VOCAL proponent of schools playing an ALL P5 SCHEDULE and 9-10 CONFERENCE GAMES while 99% of the head coaches you guys jock have been Helen Keller quiet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

This is not true. We have scheduled home and away series with multiple teams including with Texas, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech and others.  We’ve had multiple schools turn down offers including Florida State.  

Every year we’ve played top 25 teams to open the season at neutral fields and have more lined up.  Yes, it’s at a neutral site but they’ve still been against good programs (until this year with Duke).  And everybody plays cupcakes so that narrative is played out. 

And let’s not forget the most important point being that Nick Saban has been the MOST VOCAL proponent of schools playing an ALL P5 SCHEDULE and 9-10 CONFERENCE GAMES while 99% of the head coaches you guys jock have been Helen Keller quiet.

Nick Saban hasn't played an out of conference away game that he has scheduled, SINCE HE'S BEEN AT ALABAMA!!!

They've realized the flaw in their scheduling, and have made efforts to remedy that, but they still won't have an out of conference away game until 2022. 

They're not playing anybody this year. Therefore THIS YEAR, they shouldn't get a pass.

Nick Saban is all about playing a real schedule, right up until it's time for him to play a real schedule, then he's calling up WCU.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They're not playing anybody this year. Therefore THIS YEAR, they shouldn't get a pass.

Nobody is asking for a pass. You apparently missed my post on the matter last page. All we had to do was win out.  Plain and simple.  There’s no controversy. 

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Nobody is asking for a pass. You apparently missed my post on the matter last page. All we had to do was win out.  Plain and simple.  There’s no controversy. 

You're reasonable on this.  Some others... not so much.  Alabama should need help to get in from here.

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

You're reasonable on this.  Some others... not so much.  Alabama should need help to get in from here.

Honestly, I think some fans are just projecting against the possibility of a scenario where we wind up getting in.  Like if LSU throttles Georgia in the SECCG, Ohio St steamrolls through the Big 10 CG, Oregon falters etc. even then it’ll be tough.  

Some ppl are still mad we made it a few yrs ago as the #4 seed.  We justified our selection by winning it all the same way Ohio St did.  Do you remember yrs back when ppl were saying Okie St should’ve been in bcuz of a plane crash?  My goodness the length ppl go to.  But hey it’s college football where passion is unbridled.  

6 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Honestly, I think some fans are just projecting against the possibility of a scenario where we wind up getting in.  Like if LSU throttles Georgia in the SECCG, Ohio St steamrolls through the Big 10 CG, Oregon falters etc. even then it’ll be tough.  

Some ppl are still mad we made it a few yrs ago as the #4 seed.  We justified our selection by winning it all the same way Ohio St did.  Do you remember yrs back when ppl were saying Okie St should’ve been in bcuz of a plane crash?  My goodness the length ppl go to.  But hey it’s college football where passion is unbridled.  

I would've understood Ohio State getting left out the first year for BIG 12 team, I would've disagreed but understood as they would've been defacto conference champ and similar resumes, Big 12 really did a disservice by not naming a conference champ and instead gave co-champs which probably gave Ohio State the final lead.  I disagreed with Alabama getting in though, and still do, as there was a viable conference champ available that year, even if Alabama won.  I will always prefer a viable conference champ over a 2nd team from a conference, even if it would hurt Ohio State.

Right now Alabama needs a 2 loss champ from the Big 12 and Pac-10 to have a chance to get in as I think the Big 10 is almost guaranteed a 1 loss champ.

8 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Also I gave Okie St. more of a pass for losing to a gritty Iowa State team on the road after the plane crash as well, it's a justifiable emotional event that the team had to deal with against a tough road opponent.  Though I can't remember if that was a year where there were 2 conferences in the NCCG or if it was LSU/Bama rematch.  If it was LSU/Bama rematch, Okie State should've been there 100%, if not then whatever team got in over them is fine by me.  I'm always for more conference being represented over less as how are we sure we have the true champ if we don't get a wide representation.  We might assume the SEC is stronger, but outside of Alabama really, no team really has stood out as a "OMG THIS TEAM IS A GREAT."  You could argue Georgia or LSU, this year specifically for LSU, but mostly it's been Alabama and a bunch of propped up SEC teams due to reputation.  I know I'm going to sound like a homer, but overall I think the SEC and Big 10 have been very comparable top to bottom for the past several years.  The Pac 10 has been a little down, same with the Big 12 but close, with the ACC being literally 1 worthwhile team and a bunch of Group of 5 caliber teams.  ACC would almost be better off kicking out some teams and bringing in teams like Cincinnati and UCF that have been putting together good seasons.

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Teams are scared of scheduling Bama as they know what usually ends up happening. Can you blame Bama for the cowardice of other programs.

This idiotic and inaccurate. Alabama refuses to schedule home and homes. They only do neutral sites for any of the more coveted programs that are competitive.

57 minutes ago, Raves said:

Also I gave Okie St. more of a pass for losing to a gritty Iowa State team on the road after the plane crash as well, it's a justifiable emotional event that the team had to deal with against a tough road opponent.  Though I can't remember if that was a year where there were 2 conferences in the NCCG or if it was LSU/Bama rematch.  If it was LSU/Bama rematch, Okie State should've been there 100%, if not then whatever team got in over them is fine by me.  I'm always for more conference being represented over less as how are we sure we have the true champ if we don't get a wide representation.  We might assume the SEC is stronger, but outside of Alabama really, no team really has stood out as a "OMG THIS TEAM IS A GREAT."  You could argue Georgia or LSU, this year specifically for LSU, but mostly it's been Alabama and a bunch of propped up SEC teams due to reputation.  I know I'm going to sound like a homer, but overall I think the SEC and Big 10 have been very comparable top to bottom for the past several years.  The Pac 10 has been a little down, same with the Big 12 but close, with the ACC being literally 1 worthwhile team and a bunch of Group of 5 caliber teams.  ACC would almost be better off kicking out some teams and bringing in teams like Cincinnati and UCF that have been putting together good seasons.

I agree with most of this but definitely NOT the part about Oklahoma St.  

Iowa St was 5-4 that season including getting destroyed by an unranked Missouri team by 35 points, barely sneaking by an FCS team by 1 point and getting spanked by an unranked Rutgers in their bowl game.  Ok St was up 24-7 in that game vs Iowa St and I didn't hear any excuses then.  They were cruising along and headed to the BCSCG (assuming they beat OU which they did) if they had just finished strong.  Instead they crumbled and the excuses came out.  Using the tragedy of the women's bball team's plane crash as a crutch for their loss does a major disservice to everyone who died.  It was most certainly not a justifiable excuse.

Meanwhile, Bama lost a juggernaut defensive battle 9-6 to the #1 team in the country in a game that could've gone either way. the #1 team in the country, not a mediocre unranked team.  There was no comparison then and there isn't one now.  LSU didn't even cross the 50 yd line in the Natty rematch.  Bama asphyxiated the life out of LSU last night and made it crystal clear (pun intended) why they deserved to be there.  But that was 8 yrs ago and thankfully now we have a playoff system.

And if they someday switch to an 8 team playoff, ppl will still find something to complain about.  They'll be screaming for 16 teams.

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

I agree with most of this but definitely NOT the part about Oklahoma St.  

Iowa St was 5-4 that season including getting destroyed by an unranked Missouri team by 35 points, barely sneaking by an FCS team by 1 point and getting spanked by an unranked Rutgers in their bowl game.  Ok St was up 24-7 in that game vs Iowa St and I didn't hear any excuses then.  They were cruising along and headed to the BCSCG (assuming they beat OU which they did) if they had just finished strong.  Instead they crumbled and the excuses came out.  Using the tragedy of the women's bball team's plane crash as a crutch for their loss does a major disservice to everyone who died.  It was most certainly not a justifiable excuse.

Meanwhile, Bama lost a juggernaut defensive battle 9-6 to the #1 team in the country in a game that could've gone either way. the #1 team in the country, not a mediocre unranked team.  There was no comparison then and there isn't one now.  LSU didn't even cross the 50 yd line in the Natty rematch.  Bama asphyxiated the life out of LSU last night and made it crystal clear (pun intended) why they deserved to be there.  But that was 8 yrs ago and thankfully now we have a playoff system.

And if they someday switch to an 8 team playoff, ppl will still find something to complain about.  They'll be screaming for 16 teams.

IIRC that Iowa State team was undefeated at home though, like dominant at home, but were crap on the road.  Now I do understand that this was pre-Playoff and the BCS was very flawed, so it is what it is, but you can't call it a National Championship if another conference doesn't get a chance to beat another conference for the title.  Otherwise it would just be called a conference championship game... just my thought.

I think there are at most 6 teams worthy of a championship, but giving another 2 teams a chance doesn't hurt things much.  There will be 0 chances out of 100 that there are more than 7 teams ever worth a chance at a championship.  I personally feel that if they go to 8 teams it should be the top 5 ranked conference champions, to include group of 5 conferences and Independents as a conference of their own for this, as automatic bids, that means there should be at worst a 2 loss conference champ represented in the playoffs, and then 3 at large bids as the next 3 highest ranked teams.  No 16 teams that's just stupid and no chance the #9 team, let alone #16 team, would win a championship.

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

IIRC that Iowa State team was undefeated at home though, like dominant at home, but were crap on the road.  Now I do understand that this was pre-Playoff and the BCS was very flawed, so it is what it is, but you can't call it a National Championship if another conference doesn't get a chance to beat another conference for the title.  Otherwise it would just be called a conference championship game... just my thought.

2011 Iowa St at home

W vs FCS N. Iowa 20-19
W vs Iowa 44-41 3OT
L vs #17 Texas 14-37 
L vs #18 Texas A&M 17-33
W vs Kansas 13-10
W vs #2 Oklahoma St 37-31 2OT

Biggest home win was by 6.  That was obviously a huge win regardless of the points but the other 3 wins were by 3 points or less against lackluster opponents.  Hardly dominant.  Are you sure you're not getting them mixed up with another team?

As far as the other point, there really wasn't any precedent up until that point at least not in the modern era.  It clearly wasn't a conference championship as it took place after the CG.  Yes I realize that's just wordplay on your part.  

Anyway... we got a little sidetracked.  The only way Bama is making it in is if everything possible goes right.  LIS I think a potential Bama-OU matchup in the Sugar Bowl will be viewed as the premier bowl game outside of the playoffs. Then we'll get several weeks grinding the Jalen Hurts vs Bama narrative into the ground.  Yay!! /s

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Sounds good to me.  Let's make that change.  CFP Playoff will be Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, and a rotating selection of top recruiting teams.

Sounds like a good start. We could then eliminate any sorry team that got shut out in the playoffs from automatically qualifying.

25 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

2011 Iowa St at home

W vs FCS N. Iowa 20-19
W vs Iowa 44-41 3OT
L vs #17 Texas 14-37 
L vs #18 Texas A&M 17-33
W vs Kansas 13-10
W vs #2 Oklahoma St 37-31 2OT

Biggest home win was by 6.  That was obviously a huge win regardless of the points but the other 3 wins were by 3 points or less against lackluster opponents.  Hardly dominant.  Are you sure you're not getting them mixed up with another team?

As far as the other point, there really wasn't any precedent up until that point at least not in the modern era.  It clearly wasn't a conference championship as it took place after the CG.  Yes I realize that's just wordplay on your part.  

Anyway... we got a little sidetracked.  The only way Bama is making it in is if everything possible goes right.  LIS I think a potential Bama-OU matchup in the Sugar Bowl will be viewed as the premier bowl game outside of the playoffs. Then we'll get several weeks grinding the Jalen Hurts vs Bama narrative into the ground.  Yay!! /s

Fair enough.  It was long ago and I 100% wasn't going to look it up not gonna lie.

Yes I agree it is just wordplay but it also makes it's own point.  When you decide a National Champion between a conference without giving another conference a chance to challenge the supposed best team from a conference for that title, then it makes it less of a National Championship and more of a Conference Title game.  Just because perception is one thing, if it's not challenged then you will never know the truth is all I'm saying.

This year Bama needs a bunch of 2 loss conference champs and even then it'll be tough to justify them getting in with these rankings unless other things go wrong leading up to it as well.  I think an LSU/Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, Pac-10/Big-12, would be a great playoff.  Obviously with the way they have the rankings currently it would be Oklahoma vs Alabama for the Sugar Bowl which I think would also be an interesting match-up that I would enjoy watching.

28 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Sounds like a good start. We could then eliminate any sorry team that got shut out in the playoffs from automatically qualifying.

Oh how about we also eliminate any #1 seeds that loss to the #4 seed from automatically qualifying?