Alabama missing the playoffs

viper952

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Only loss will be to the best team in the country. They’ll get in if they win out.

only meaningful win would be vs a 4lost team. 

You act like winning out is going to be tough. They have the B.S. mid season SEC bye week with their FCS team (8game conference over inflates the entire conference) and a decent Auburn team that doesnt look special at all. Nothing from that screams they deserve to be in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, swooshmaster said:

I'm an LSU fan. I hope so. I'm not as confident as you are though. Lots of things could happen. If LSU is shoed into the Playoff already that complicates it even more and the game is going to be in Atlanta.

I'm surprised how many people seem to be writing off Georgia. I could easily see them knocking off LSU, which likely poses a bigger problem for Oregon than Alabama at this point. If Georgia, Oregon, and Alabama win out, I see the rankings being:

1) Ohio State

2) Clemson

3) Georgia

4) LSU

5) Oregon

6) Alabama

Edited by swoosh
  • Like 1

Just now, swoosh said:

I'm surprised how many people seem to be writing off Georgia. I could easily see them knocking off LSU, which likely poses a bigger problem for Oregon than Alabama at this point. If Georgia, Oregon, and Alabama win out, I see the rankings being:

1) Ohio State

2) Clemson

3) Georgia

4) LSU

5) Oregon

6) Alabama

I'm a huge fan of my team, but if Fromm can't do better than he did today against Auburn, a win isn't going to happen.  13/28 for 110 yards, half of which came on one play, is not good.  Georgia will need to rely on Swift carrying the water and the defense doing their best to limit the damage from Joe Burrow, and I don't have confidence in the latter.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm a huge fan of my team, but if Fromm can't do better than he did today against Auburn, a win isn't going to happen.  13/28 for 110 yards, half of which came on one play, is not good.  Georgia will need to rely on Swift carrying the water and the defense doing their best to limit the damage from Joe Burrow, and I don't have confidence in the latter.  

Auburn's defense is no joke. Don't forget LSU only beat them by 3. At home. 

LSU has the best resume and is deserving of the #1 spot, but they're not the best team in the nation IMO. Georgia/LSU will be a battle. 

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Today the Ole Miss QB ran for 212 yards on 21 carries and had 4 TD's. Obviously Burrow is fantastic but I am very worried about our Run D at the moment. Their RB ran for 141 yds on 13 carries. I mean come on.

Edited by swooshmaster

23 hours ago, swoosh said:

They have to beat LSU in order to get in.  There's no way that the committee would take a two-loss non-conference champ.  That's the only way Georgia gets in, and with the way LSU has been playing offensively I don't see that happening.  Ohio State seems to be a shoe-in alongside LSU and Clemson.  The fourth spot is really the only one that might be in consideration.  A Tua-less Alabama team isn't going to be appealing, unless they look good in their last few games.  Utah/Oregon probably stands to be the biggest beneficiary to this situation.  Win and they're likely in.  Somehow this breathes new life into Oklahoma, but they'll need some help.  They need Alabama to look flat without Tua, and they need Oregon and/or Utah to look average.  Oklahoma should get two more games against ranked opponents with Oklahoma State and a rematch against Baylor in the Big 12 championship.

Oregon and Utah definitely benefit the most right now, but both need to win out and need the other to win out to the conference championship to get that late top-10 win to have a shot.

LSU is set as I don't see them losing before the SEC championship game at worst (and they could easily lose and still be the 4th seed). 

Clemson is almost assuredly in with that cupcake schedule.

Ohio St should win out, but they have the toughest road from here out and will likely overtake LSU at #1 before conference championship season. Clearly one of the best 2 teams in the country, but also the most capable of having playoff dreams dashed with their remaining schedule.

Georgia has to win out completely to have a chance.

Unless Georgia beats LSU, Oregon/Utah has the best shot at the 4 seed with a statement game to end the season. Oklahoma is an outlier, but I can't see them squeezing past the teams ahead of them at the moment. 

Alabama needs help to get in (Oregon and/or Utah losses between now and the Pac12 game, Ohio St or Clemson upset, LSU beating Georgia, etc), but they're far and away the 4th seed if any of a number of things happen, and a few things could probably happen and they'd still make it in over an Oregon/Utah/Oklahoma/Georgia.

I think 'Bama will have to tap dance on Auburn next week to have a shot, and even then, it's against a will be/would be 4 loss Auburn squad. Thumping a 3-8 Western Carolina dumpster squad does absolutely nothing for them. Unfortunately for them from their standpoint, they won't get another opportunity to prove that they're an elite Top 4 team without Tua.

It's likely that the following happens in regards to the #4 spot:

*A 1 loss PAC Conference winner of Oregon and Utah (assuming neither stumbles their last 2 games) goes

*A 1 loss Big XII Conference winner OU goes assuming they beat TCU, OK State, and Baylor again (not as easy as it looks on paper)

*A 1 loss non division/conference title OSU goes should they lose a close one to Penn State this weekend OR stumble against UM the week after OR in the B1G Title game if they beat PSU 

*If Georgia upsets LSU, they're in (Georgia) and so is LSU (1 loss, head to head win AT Alabama, one of the best teams that's played the toughest schedule in the nation)

About 4 dominoes would have to fall for them to get in, and even then, if Baylor wins out the rest of their way, they may show the committee that a 1 loss conference champ that "avenged their only loss" using the same rationale they used last year from Oklahoma (I laughed at the committee using the same rationale as last year too) may even bump them above Alabama.

Edited by MWil23

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think 'Bama will have to tap dance on Auburn next week to have a shot, and even then, it's against a will be/would be 4 loss Auburn squad. Thumping a 3-8 Western Carolina dumpster squad does absolutely nothing for them. Unfortunately for them from their standpoint, they won't get another opportunity to prove that they're an elite Top 4 team without Tua.

It's likely that the following happens in regards to the #4 spot:

*A 1 loss PAC Conference winner of Oregon and Utah (assuming neither stumbles their last 2 games) goes

*A 1 loss Big XII Conference winner OU goes assuming they beat TCU, OK State, and Baylor again (not as easy as it looks on paper)

*A 1 loss non division/conference title OSU goes should they lose a close one to Penn State this weekend OR stumble against UM the week after OR in the B1G Title game if they beat PSU 

*If Georgia upsets LSU, they're in

About 4 dominoes would have to fall for them to get in, and even then, if Baylor wins out the rest of their way, they may show the committee that a 1 loss conference champ that "avenged their only loss" using the same rationale they used last year from Oklahoma (I laughed at the committee using the same rationale as last year too) may even bump them above Alabama.

I'm not sure if Georgia upsetting LSU even gets Alabama in.  I think they would take LSU over Alabama in that circumstance.  It would mean LSU would have to lose before the SEC Championship game AND also to Georgia in the SECCG for them to be considered over LSU.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I'm not sure if Georgia upsetting LSU even gets Alabama in.  I think they would take LSU over Alabama in that circumstance. 

They definitely would take LSU over Alabama in that circumstance. When I said "If Georgia upsets LSU, they're in", I meant "they" as in LSU is still in.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

It would mean LSU would have to lose before the SEC Championship game AND also to Georgia in the SECCG for them to be considered over LSU.

Absolutely