This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

Lol people still saying Kobe got away with rape.  That was a money grab.  I did NOT like Kobe Bryant.  Derek Fisher was always my favorite NBA player, but that was a money grab it there ever was one.  Not defending Kobe.  He was a doofus entitled rich person who cheated on his wife, but that was not rape.  I was as hard on Kobe as I am on Rodgers and never liked him as a person, but let’s be real here.  

• Like 1

trying to drag or clown someone after they pass away is definitely some cornball dweeb ****. not to be on some holier than thou/morals **** on the internet because it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about anything. just surprised when i see guys speak ill of the dead that i don't expect it from. 

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

trying to drag or clown someone after they pass away is definitely some cornball dweeb ****. not to be on some holier than thou/morals **** on the internet because it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about anything. just surprised when i see guys speak ill of the dead that i don't expect it from. 

Never really understood why we (as strangers) are supposed to sugar coat the dude's life. It's one thing to not say anything bad about the dude in front of his mourning family, but there's an honest discussion to be had about the complex and nuanced character of Kobe Bryant.

• There's a decade long debate that raged over his placement on the NBA GOAT list before we get into Kobe Bryant Inspiration vs. Kobe Bryant Cash Grabbing Cornball.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about subcultures of the black community and how Kobe related to Iverson, guys like Stephen Jackson, and the draconian NBA of the early 2000s.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the power of branding and large markets in terms of the Kobe vs. Duncan conversation. 
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about how society's attitude towards rape and how that's changed in the last decade and a half. His statement about, "Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same." has so many layers to unpack.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the responsibilities that one has as one accused of rape to treat the accuser with some sense of dignity and decorum vs. leaking her name to the press and disparaging her character in the name of doing anything you can to beat the charge. 
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about how the media treated Bryant following that incident, fawning over his performances saying things about how it's inspiring that he can fly to games after court and play well.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had regarding the message sent by Vanessa taking him back after the allegation.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about how Kobe helped to bridge the gap between Euroleague and the NBA with both his olympic performances and as an ambassador of basketball.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the responsibility of franchises to honor their washed up All Time Greats in their twilight seasons.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about Kobe's impact on youth basketball around the world, and how his style is really ugly when teenagers try to emulate as opposed to a more fundamentally driven Lebron. 
  • There's an analytics conversation to be had on his overall impact of the game, his reputation as a clutch player, and the efficiencies of the game that he chose to play.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the obligations between great coach and great player with the player wanting to shoot and the coach trying to confine him to a system.
  • There's a fascination conversation to be had about the value of chemistry and the collapse of the 04 Lakers in Detroit. 
  • There's a fascination conversation to be had about all the work that Kobe did in developing young NBA players when given the opportunity. 
  • Hell, there's a conversation to be had about Kobe Bryant as a wild *** 1% guy and the obligations that class should have towards the world/environment, and society.

If we're not having these conversations now, I don't think we're having them. 

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Flying to skip 5.5 hours of driving to go for a wedding, is WAY different than flying to a middle school basketball practice.

There's an entire segment of society that lives a completely different life than I do - the super rich. Since cost is no factor to them, a lot of the boundaries to behavior / life style are removed. How many of them have incorporated "helicopter commuting" into their regular lives? Cant say - but I bet its done more frequently than I'd considered.

I posted the following statistical data: The fatal accident rate for helicopters in the U.S. was 0.82 per 100,000 flight hours in 2019, according to the U.S. Helocopter Safety Team, which tallied 24 accidents claiming 55 lives.

Since I cant put "accidents per flight hours" in an understandable form, I can break it down to 2 fatal accidents a month. Thats not an exact way to consider it - but it puts it into an context I can wrap my head around.

Is that actually statistically safer than highway driving? Cant say.

grief is complicated and nuanced so I feel for the families that lost loved ones, and also the victims of assault who are seeing an alleged rapist being celebrated so much.

That being said, this is like the first morning that my stomach hasn't hurt since learning of his passing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think that comparison works in a few ways:

1. JFK Jr was a Kennedy, so of course people had to get into their drama.

2. Flying to skip 5.5 hours of driving to go for a wedding, is WAY different than flying to a middle school basketball practice.

Is there a better comparison though? I don't recall anyone making fun of either tragedy.  This is getting Princess Di level of reaction.  Maybe it is just because of social media.  Or maybe I am in a weird generational gap where Kobe has very little impact on my consciousness.  

Pathos sells.

A song lyric comes to mind:

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry......and......
Get the widow on the set!

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Never really understood why we (as strangers) are supposed to sugar coat the dude's life. It's one thing to not say anything bad about the dude in front of his mourning family, but there's an honest discussion to be had about the complex and nuanced character of Kobe Bryant.

• There's a decade long debate that raged over his placement on the NBA GOAT list before we get into Kobe Bryant Inspiration vs. Kobe Bryant Cash Grabbing Cornball.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about subcultures of the black community and how Kobe related to Iverson, guys like Stephen Jackson, and the draconian NBA of the early 2000s.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the power of branding and large markets in terms of the Kobe vs. Duncan conversation. 
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about how society's attitude towards rape and how that's changed in the last decade and a half. His statement about, "Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same." has so many layers to unpack.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the responsibilities that one has as one accused of rape to treat the accuser with some sense of dignity and decorum vs. leaking her name to the press and disparaging her character in the name of doing anything you can to beat the charge. 
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about how the media treated Bryant following that incident, fawning over his performances saying things about how it's inspiring that he can fly to games after court and play well.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had regarding the message sent by Vanessa taking him back after the allegation.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about how Kobe helped to bridge the gap between Euroleague and the NBA with both his olympic performances and as an ambassador of basketball.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the responsibility of franchises to honor their washed up All Time Greats in their twilight seasons.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about Kobe's impact on youth basketball around the world, and how his style is really ugly when teenagers try to emulate as opposed to a more fundamentally driven Lebron. 
  • There's an analytics conversation to be had on his overall impact of the game, his reputation as a clutch player, and the efficiencies of the game that he chose to play.
  • There's a fascinating conversation to be had about the obligations between great coach and great player with the player wanting to shoot and the coach trying to confine him to a system.
  • There's a fascination conversation to be had about the value of chemistry and the collapse of the 04 Lakers in Detroit. 
  • There's a fascination conversation to be had about all the work that Kobe did in developing young NBA players when given the opportunity. 
  • Hell, there's a conversation to be had about Kobe Bryant as a wild *** 1% guy and the obligations that class should have towards the world/environment, and society.

If we're not having these conversations now, I don't think we're having them. 

Plenty of those conversations have been- and are being had 10x over. But I guess you think it’s ok to laugh at deaths based on how much the person had in their bank account. That’s some Marxist-level **** right there. If you want to talk environment, 90+% of the country is in the world’s top-10% and does not fulfill their “obligations”.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Pathos sells.

A song lyric comes to mind:

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry......and......
Get the widow on the set!

Weird - was listening to Sirius 8 this morning and that song came on.  Saw Henley live at Red Rocks back in the 90's - cool show.

People have mourned the passing of celebrities since the dawn of time.  Celebrities represent the fantasy version of ourselves - what we hoped we'd become.  Many live vicariously through them, and with their passing, so goes a part of their own identity.  Celebrities are also just people like us - flawed like us - but that's not always a convenient fact, and it runs counter to our fantasy so we tell ourselves "that's ok - we cool".

People should mourn Kobe.  Make your tweets, be sure everyone knows you loved him, pay him homage, whatever.  End of the day, his passing should be a reminder that we're all dust and that life is not a dress rehearsal.  If there's one thing I do admire about him, it's that he played the game hard - gave it everything.  As I reflect on his life and his "effort", I'm reminded that I sometimes become complacent - comfortable.  Instead of living, I'm just coasting to the finish line.  Drop the hammer and suck the marrow out of life.  Fly your helicopters, or sing at the top of your lungs while stuck on the 5 or the 10 in LA in a 2-hour traffic jam - we're all just rats in this race.   

3 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

what's your go-to frozen pizza? Not looking for best bang for your buck. I want like the cream of the crop GOAT tier frozen pizza

Frozen = processed = gross.  That said, there's some evil, nasty, unhealthy ingredient in Totino's pizza that both my tapeworm and my Candida bacteria absolutely loves.

34 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

what's your go-to frozen pizza? Not looking for best bang for your buck. I want like the cream of the crop GOAT tier frozen pizza

not frozen, but in the refrigerated section the Wal-Mart brand (market-side or market fresh, something like that) is dynamite.  I'll get their meat lovers and doctor it up, it is fantastic.  

I usually grab a couple of Jack's or Tombstone to keep in the freezer for days where I really don't feel like cooking dinner.  The little Totino's ones are also great for a hangover deterrent late-night snack, or for a weekend lunch.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Brew Pub Lotzza Motzza or Heggies

This is what I'm leaning on getting. I hear there are some incredible frozen pizzas mostly available in WI but that might be a myth.

28 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Frozen = processed = gross.  That said, there's some evil, nasty, unhealthy ingredient in Totino's pizza that both my tapeworm and my Candida bacteria absolutely loves.

YES tell me about it. These are like the perfectly disgusting hangover pizzas. I think it's the crust or the fake cheese or something. 

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

DiGiorno's

This is my usual go to but I always find myself wanting more. Makes me feel better about eating it than Jack's / Tombstone.

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

not frozen, but in the refrigerated section the Wal-Mart brand (market-side or market fresh, something like that) is dynamite.  I'll get their meat lovers and doctor it up, it is fantastic.  

I usually grab a couple of Jack's or Tombstone to keep in the freezer for days where I really don't feel like cooking dinner.  The little Totino's ones are also great for a hangover deterrent late-night snack, or for a weekend lunch.

Yeah the fresh wal-mart pizzas are bomb but I want to avoid that hell hole immediately after work. I recently had a jalapeno-chicken flat bread and absolutely crushed it.