This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

Man I gotta be nicer to Rodgers.  Back when I watched basketball I was as rough on Kobe as I am on Rodgers and now I feel like I’ve been kicked in the gut and I haven’t watched a game of basketball in I don’t know how long.  At least 6 years.  Rest In Peace, Kobe. Thanks for the good times and great memories.  

On 1/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

I am very excited for that one, I really liked the trailer.  I wait to watch almost all movies at home, so I am awaiting that one.

The trailer that is getting me excited right now is Morbius.  If it is R rated... 

I was excited for Knives Out but was disappointed :(

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I was excited for Knives Out but was disappointed :(

I don't think there will ever be a movie that disappointed me more than "A Cure for Wellness." I still want to see Knives Out.  I also want to see The Gentlemen. And like I said earlier, Morbius could be really cool, or a horrendous train-wreck.  

Just posted this over in the NBA threads, but thought to bring it here as well:

This answers my questions of how could the helicopter pilot not realize his altitude......

NBC: The crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight other people will likely spur the Federal Aviation Administration to begin requiring safety systems that currently are on only some helicopters that ply America's skies, two experts told NBC News.

They weighed in a day after a National Transportation Safety Board member investigating Sunday’s crash said the doomed Sikorsky S-76B chopper was not equipped with a terrain awareness and warning system, known as TAWS, which alerts a pilot when an aircraft gets too close to the ground and that the FAA has resisted requiring for all helicopters.

Helicopter manufacturers and operators won’t be happy because “it costs money to do,” he said.

The FAA only began requiring TAWS for ambulance and other medical helicopters about six years ago because there was public pressure to do something after a spate of deadly crashes.

Jennifer Homendy, a member of the NTSB, told reporters Tuesday that she couldn’t say whether having a TAWS system on board could have prevented Sunday’s crash. “Certainly, TAWS could have helped,” she said.

Kidrick said he’s not certain “a terrain warning system could have prevented this crash.” He noted that the pilot told air traffic controllers in his last radio message that he was climbing to avoid a cloud layer.

Homendy said the helicopter was flying at an altitude of 2,300 feet when it lost contact with air traffic controllers and then plunged into a hillside at a rate of more than 2,000 feet a minute.

The fatal accident rate for helicopters in the U.S. was 0.82 per 100,000 flight hours in 2019, according to the U.S. Helocopter Safety Team, which tallied 24 accidents claiming 55 lives.

Edited by Leader

So I know this is going to come off dickish, but is there a more ridiculous entitled rich person way to die than a crash of your private helicopter that you were riding in because sitting in traffic is for the proletariat, and you need the helicopter because the local middle school sports team isn't good enough for your kid, so you need to get her to the one that's like an hour away, everyday?

Like if this was a Congressman and not Kobe Bryant, we would be laughing about this, right?

Edited by AlexGreen#20

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So I know this is going to come off dickish, but is there a more ridiculous entitled rich person way to die than a crash of your private helicopter that you were riding in because sitting in traffic is for the proletariat, and you need the helicopter because the local middle school sports team isn't good enough for your kid, so you need to get her to the one that's like an hour away, everyday?

Like if this was a Congressman and not Kobe Bryant, we would be laughing about this, right?

Are you old enough to remember JFK Jr? I don't think anyone would be laughing at it at all.  However, I do think that people are going over the top with their Kobe tributes.  He was also a guy who served no jail time for rape and stayed with his wife because he bought her a ring that most people probably couldn't afford with two years salary.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm gonna attribute you simply making a poor choice of words cause I dont think they reflect well. Somebody - anybody - dies this way, I dont find anything humorous about it and I'm glad that laughing about it isnt a reflex I suffer from.  

I'm a life long LAL fan. I'm not personally "busted up" about this (i.e. to the point of tears and such) but it sure as hell is sad. Though I dont go overboard regards my own perceived "connection" with any sports star...I did watch him play quite a bit and he was damn good. He was one of those "dont come around too often" kinda players.

Moreso, I can appreciate the hole left in his family and those others that perished. Thats the tragedy. If I feel "emotional" about things - its more often associated watching/seeing his daughter and the love they shared for each other. There's the loss.

I agree with TJD's comment that things may have gotten a bit overboard - but thats an interesting societal / psychological matter - as yes, we (for some unstated reason) - as a society tend to get overly wrapped up in such things. Closure is delayed by way of saturation TV coverage and the endless social media reverberations.

But no.....we dont need to change the NBA logo.....or name some trophy after him.

Just remember his life....what he accomplished / achieved....and move on remembering. I'm good with that.  

47 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Are you old enough to remember JFK Jr? I don't think anyone would be laughing at it at all.  However, I do think that people are going over the top with their Kobe tributes.  He was also a guy who served no jail time for rape and stayed with his wife because he bought her a ring that most people probably couldn't afford with two years salary.

I don't think that comparison works in a few ways:

1. JFK Jr was a Kennedy, so of course people had to get into their drama.

2. Flying to skip 5.5 hours of driving to go for a wedding, is WAY different than flying to a middle school basketball practice.