How good is Carson Wentz

patriotsheatyan

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Watson has a lot of weapons and an improving OL. I wouldnt call his situation "bad" by any means.

Wentz needs to throw that ball on time. His hesitation is a huge reason that the play didnt work.

So none of it is on Wentz? Its all coaching and surrounding talent?

lol. You realize Dak was #1 last year and is top 5 this year in tight window throws, right? And Cooper is not always open, thats crazy. Half this forum thought he was a bottom tier starting WR before he came to the Cowboys.

Agree with all of this. 

Listen.. wentz played poorly yesterday... he started the game off great against a great defense but for three quarters he was average and we need more from a 100 million dollar player. I'm one of wentz's biggest supporters but i cant defend him for yesterdays performance.. He missed some key throws.  All that being said, hes not getting much help and thats starts with his coaching staff. Groh and pederson are not designing winning plays and coaching up their players. I'm fine with pederson being the HC but he needs to grow a pair and replace his offensive staff. On the player side, it's clear Miles sanders is not ready to take on the load with out Howard and Wentz two top receivers were out.. Alshon could be a solid #2 but hes definitely not a number one. 

7 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Listen.. wentz played poorly yesterday... he started the game off great against a great defense but for three quarters he was average and we need more from a 100 million dollar player. I'm one of wentz's biggest supporters but i cant defend him for yesterdays performance.. He missed some key throws.  All that being said, hes not getting much help and thats starts with his coaching staff. Groh and pederson are not designing winning plays and coaching up their players. I'm fine with pederson being the HC but he needs to grow a pair and replace his offensive staff. On the player side, it's clear Miles sanders is not ready to take on the load with out Howard and Wentz two top receivers were out.. Alshon could be a solid #2 but hes definitely not a number one. 

Im not disagreeing with you. If you remember during this summer, when your entire forum was bashing me, I predicted this. I said the Eagles roster is old which leads to injuries. Which has hurt you. I said Pederson had an incredible staff before and doesnt now, which could hurt you. And I said Wentz is a top 10ish QB but not a top 5/elite guy. 

Wentz is going through the samething that Dak did at then end of '17/start of 18. His surrounding cast and coaching are hurting his individual performance. And due to their ineptness, Wentz is not playing with confidence. 

• Like 1

He's a Top 12 QB, arguably Top 10. His lack of trust in his WR's in addition to some poor decisions haven't helped in terms of his teams record.

At this point Jason Peters should be put out to pasture,  he's never healthy, and they need to jettison Aghlor, Jeffrey and Jackson and rebuild their WR corps from scratch.

I still 100% believe you can win a Superbowl with him.

I think the primes of Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Big Ben and Rivers has skewed massively people's opinion of QB play. 

The amount of grief someone like Matt Ryan gets online is surprising for example. Likewise Dak and Wentz this year. They're not in their primes yet.

Edited by Magnifico
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Oh ok, so you meant benefit of the doubt in regards to being an MVP-caliber QB? That's fair. I think in that sense, it would be fair to now kind of look at 2017 as more a great season from a good QB than just the play of a great QB.

He didn't get MVP buzz in 2018 because he wasn't playing at an MVP level, simple as that, more top 12ish? I think the drop off from MVP play in 2017 to merely good play in 2018 left people thinking he was a disaster in 2018.

Oh yea not knocking him all together just wasnt the top tier guy he was in 2017

Have the weapons really gotten that much worse?

4 hours ago, Magnifico said:

He's a Top 12 QB, arguably Top 10. His lack of trust in his WR's in addition to some poor decisions haven't helped in terms of his teams record.

At this point Jason Peters should be put out to pasture,  he's never healthy, and they need to jettison Aghlor, Jeffrey and Jackson and rebuild their WR corps from scratch.

I still 100% believe you can win a Superbowl with him.

I think the primes of Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Big Ben and Rivers has skewed massively people's opinion of QB play. 

The amount of grief someone like Matt Ryan gets online is surprising for example. Likewise Dak and Wentz this year. They're not in their primes yet.

Sums it up nicely. I'd absolutely love to see what Wentz could of done/do with these WR's/playmakers below!! Brady being the only caveat in that list who was never blessed with legit WR early on in his career.

Harrison, Wayne, Colston, Driver, Jennings, Adam's, TO, Ward, Holmes, AB, V. Jack, LT

Intentionally left out the TE's for those QB's like Witten, Graham, Gates, Clarke, Miller ect because that is the only position Wentz can realistically count on with Ertz!

13 hours ago, Daimonas said:

aren't good is a massive understatement.

But basically it's a culmination of a bottom 1 WR corp, a bottom 5 OC, and he just has absolutely no trust in anyone but ertz at this point.

Isn't Pederson the OC essentially? 

Wentz is still a really good QB. He's living a bit off the past but I wouldn't be shocked if he's a top 3 QB in the league in 5 years. Though I'd say that about several guys. 

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Oh yea not knocking him all together just wasnt the top tier guy he was in 2017

Have the weapons really gotten that much worse?

Yes! Alshon in 2017 was damn near automatic if the ball was remotely within his catching radius. Can't catch cold these days, no seperation, absolutely burst (SB TD example). Agholor played with confidence that year coming off his horrendous 2016 campaign where he was benched for said confidence. That 2016 Agholor is back. Absolutely No deep threat like Wallace that apparently this particular  offense needs to work and we clearly dont have in the slightest.

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Isn't Pederson the OC essentially? 

Wentz is still a really good QB. He's living a bit off the past but I wouldn't be shocked if he's a top 3 QB in the league in 5 years. Though I'd say that about several guys. 

He is the play caller but it's becoming clearer and clearer as the games go on both Frank Reich and Defilippo had a lot more to do with the game planning going into the games then the converted WR coach made defacto OC in Groh and Taylor are capable of doing?

Pederson's playcalling has been atrocious all year.

14 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Benefit of the doubt in regards to being what?... He still threw 21 TDs to 7 INTs, 100+ passer rating in 11 starts, where he was hurt for a handful of them. I feel like some think he was a trash QB in 2018.

To OP, he's a good not great QB, granted only year 4 so no reason not to hope for improvement, who has had very poor supporting cast this year after a great cast in 2018.

I'm not going to get worked up too much here, it's a what have you done for me lately league, and lately? Carson just had a bad game (as many do against the Pats), his box score numbers on the season are below league average, his team is .500, it is understandable why those not glued to the Eagles will write him off or lose faith. I'll just say to me he looks like the same QB he was in 2017 in terms of ability.

As someone who doesn’t catch every Eagles game:

- You say Wentz’ ability is still there, but is the decision making/vision? I don’t think he’s gotten a weaker arm or less mobile, anything talent related. But it does seem like he’s missing some things more than in 2017 or more than he should be. 

- What happened to Pederson? Was he “figured out” or do you think it has a bit to do with Reich? We were talking about him (and McVay) as the next big thing in the league, but I’m hearing a ton of criticism regarding his schemes. 

51 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

As someone who doesn’t catch every Eagles game:

- You say Wentz’ ability is still there, but is the decision making/vision? I don’t think he’s gotten a weaker arm or less mobile, anything talent related. But it does seem like he’s missing some things more than in 2017 or more than he should be. 

Wentz is not playing comfortable right now. It would appear to me that he doesnt have confidence in any of his teammates and in turn he isnt playing awesome. Maybe he is feeling the pressure to do to much? 

51 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

- What happened to Pederson? Was he “figured out” or do you think it has a bit to do with Reich? We were talking about him (and McVay) as the next big thing in the league, but I’m hearing a ton of criticism regarding his schemes. 

Pederson had an incredible offensive staff. He lost the 2 people that did a lot of the grunt work in terms of game planning/play design. He has struggled without them.

Just an outside opinion from a Cowboys fan. 

• Like 1