Mahomes or Jackson

rocky_rams

48 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Andy Reid has shown fans of the league time and time again just how much of a different animal the playoffs are...

I think not worrying about the Ravens is greatly underselling Harbaugh’s experience and talent as a winning playoff coach, as Andy Reid has in the past been pretty unspectacular in crunch time and known to have already played his best cards in the reg.. 

Also, this matchup is likely only in an AFC championship if my understanding of the playoff bracket is correct, and the only coach I trust to go into foxborough in January and win is the aforementioned Ravens’ coach. Regardless, NFL fans are in for a treat from the AFC matchups in this play off. 

As far as Lamar vs. Mahomes it entirely depends on the rest of my squad and the build of my team. One (Jackson) plays keep away, safe, ball control offense that breaks the heart of the opposing team. The other (Mahomes) is a threat for a big play at any time, in a hot shot air raid attack. I think it’s a pick your poison at this point in the season based on the other 52 men on your squad, but anyone saying one or the other will be better in ten years has a crystal ball that I’d like to borrow.

Andy Reid's only ever had game managers at QB. You're proving my point: You need an elite passer to win it all. Mahomes is the best player in the world.

52 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Andy Reid's only ever had game managers at QB. You're proving my point: You need an elite passer to win it all. Mahomes is the best player in the world.

So was Patrick Mahomes a game manager as the MVP of the league last year, when a strong Andy Reid led team once again failed to get it done (at home) in the playoffs? In that case I’d rather have Jackson as his style of game has let the Ravens this season run an offense which defines game management. Or is he just not on the level of the Joe Flaccos, Nick Foleses, and Eli Mannings of the world? I guess Trent Dilfer, who was a super bowl winning QB during Andy Reid’s career as a head coach. 

As well, you’re underselling past QBs Andy Reid has had. For the majority of his career Donovan Mcnabb was a top 10 QB in an NFL where passing the was substantially different than it is today. 

I think people underestimate the importance of coaching. It wasn’t Donovan Mcnabb, Jeff Garcia, Alex Smith, and Patrick Mahomes who caused Andy Reid to forget how clock management and use of time outs and challenges worked once playoffs came around. He has flaws as a coach, and I feel like Harbaugh has shined when pressure is on, where Reid has left a lot to be desired. If I’m a Chiefs fan I’m glad you’re not affiliated with game planning, because the Ravens are absolutely a threat in the AFC.

To get back on the topic of the thread, in Lamar vs Jackson it depends on your roster and philosophy of your team. There’s not a doubt in my mind the Chiefs and Ravens front offices wouldn’t trade one for the other stright up. That’s football baby.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

20 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

smoked? It was a one score game and you can't really complain about tyreek being out because 2 of our current top 3 corners and starting safety were out. Half of the players on defense from back then are back ups or on the practice squad now.

It was 30-13 3 minutes into the 4th. It was a one sided affair until it was already too late.

1 minute ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

So was Patrick Mahomes a game manager as the MVP of the league last year, when a strong Andy Reid led team once again failed to get it done (at home) in the playoffs? In that case I’d rather have Jackson as his style of game has let the Ravens this season run an offense which defines game management. Or is he just not on the level of the Joe Flaccos, Nick Foleses, and Eli Mannings of the world? I guess Trent Dilfer, who was a super bowl winning QB during Andy Reid’s career as a head coach. 

As well, you’re underselling past QBs Andy Reid has had. For the majority of his career Donovan Mcnabb was a top 10 QB in an NFL where passing the was substantially different than it is today. 

I think people underestimate the importance of coaching. It wasn’t Donovan Mcnabb, Jeff Garcia, Alex Smith, and Patrick Mahomes who caused Andy Reid to forget how clock management and use of time outs and challenges works. He has flaws as a coach, and I feel like Harbaugh has shined when pressure is on, where Reid has left a lot to be desired. If I’m a Chiefs fan I’m glad you’re not affiliated with game planning, because the Ravens are absolutely a threat in the AFC

he simply is the successor of the other chiefs homer who had all these offseason battles with bearerofnews.

• Like 3

Just now, SBLIII said:

he simply is the successor of the other chiefs homer who had all these offseason battles with bearerofnews.

No doubt, I just really strongly don’t agree with the approach of denying the greatness of one to inflate the ability of the other. The NFL is too subjective and context sensitive to judge like that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I think people underestimate the importance of coaching. It wasn’t Donovan Mcnabb, Jeff Garcia, Alex Smith, and Patrick Mahomes who caused Andy Reid to forget how clock management and use of time outs and challenges worked once playoffs came around. He has flaws as a coach, and I feel like Harbaugh has shined when pressure is on, where Reid has left a lot to be desired. If I’m a Chiefs fan I’m glad you’re not affiliated with game planning, because the Ravens are absolutely a threat in the AFC.

To get back on the topic of the thread, in Lamar vs Jackson it depends on your roster and philosophy of your team. There’s not a doubt in my mind the Chiefs and Ravens front offices wouldn’t trade one for the other stright up. That’s football baby.

I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on how the Chiefs lost the AFCCG due to Reid’s clock management.

35 minutes ago, Anc360 said:

I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on how the Chiefs lost the AFCCG due to Reid’s clock management.

I more referenced it as a general indictment of some of Andy’s past shortcomings in the postseason to illustrate how the Harbaugh led Ravens should at least be considered a threat than to make a statement on any one specific game. 

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It was 30-13 3 minutes into the 4th. It was a one sided affair until it was already too late.

so? if we get a stop on that 3rd down, lamar wins that game with the way your defense was getting shredded in the 4th quarter

also it was only a one sided affair in the 2nd quarter where your team scored 23 points, that was the only quarter where the chiefs outscored the ravens.

Edited by RavensDefense3

1 hour ago, RavensDefense3 said:

so? if we get a stop on that 3rd down, lamar wins that game with the way your defense was getting shredded in the 4th quarter

also it was only a one sided affair in the 2nd quarter where your team scored 23 points, that was the only quarter where the chiefs outscored the ravens.

Too bad NFL games are judged on who scored more points, not who won the most quarters...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

The Ravens win probability never topped 15% after about 3 minutes left in the second. The game was not close. You scored on 4 to 5 minute drives in the 4th composed of short passes and scrambles. We were fine to allow that. If you stopped us on third, you'd have gotten the ball back with no timeouts, about a minute left at around your own twenty just because you can slowly drive down field against a conservative 4th quarter D does not mean you'll pull that off.

Ravens had that lucky play where Lamar was getting sacked and lobbed that ball up in the air and Willie Snead somehow managed to grab it after arguably doing OPI on Kendall Fuller. I think there was another kinda lucky play from the Ravens. Otherwise, it could well have been a blowout, meaning by 3 plus scores.

I think some Chiefs fans are setting themselves up for a big helping of crow if they face the Ravens in the playoffs. They faced Jackson early on in the season and he has undoubtedly continued to improve throughout his first year as a starter. Not saying it is a guaranteed win, but it will definitely be a very tough game for the Chiefs. 

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The Ravens win probability never topped 15% after about 3 minutes left in the second. The game was not close. You scored on 4 to 5 minute drives in the 4th composed of short passes and scrambles. We were fine to allow that. If you stopped us on third, you'd have gotten the ball back with no timeouts, about a minute left at around your own twenty just because you can slowly drive down field against a conservative 4th quarter D does not mean you'll pull that off.

Ok buddy a 33-28 game with chance to win at the end is not close. That was also the biggest refjob that the ravens suffered this year. Whatever floats your boat