Week 13 Games

Leader

McCarthy would do well for someone like Jones I think.  McCarthy’s biggest faults were not using tight ends in blocking help or really helping his tackles at all and relying too much on tight ends who sucked when he had a QB who doesn’t like throwing to tight ends or apparently over the middle.  Jerry would definitely have no problem getting McCarthy a tight end.

29 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Tell you what  .. former Packers Hill and Cook looking darn good for Saints.  Couple of pretty big mistakes letting both of them go!!  Would be helping this team big time and Saints would be down two players that are contributing greatly tonight. 

its like we don't want to have players who can run and make guys miss

31 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Tell you what  .. former Packers Hill and Cook looking darn good for Saints.  Couple of pretty big mistakes letting both of them go!!  Would be helping this team big time and Saints would be down two players that are contributing greatly tonight. 

To be fair, we never would’ve used Hill the way Sean Peyton has.  Hill would’ve been strictly a backup QB with GB and his career probably wouldn’t be nearly as robust.  It was a win/win for the Saints and Hill.  Not so much for us, but that’s how it goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

He's got to know he's a dead man walking at this point, no? 

Who knows, I thought he was toast ages ago and he's hung around but Jerry has pretty much said, he will not being re-signed without actually saying it, from the tidbits I've caught of his radio stuff.

14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

To be fair, we never would’ve used Hill the way Sean Peyton has.  Hill would’ve been strictly a backup QB with GB and his career probably wouldn’t be nearly as robust.  It was a win/win for the Saints and Hill.  Not so much for us, but that’s how it goes.

Agree and that is a telling point on how stale/unimaginative the coaching staff was.  Not the only player this has happened to I'm  but  does open eyes for sure.  Shows what a creative mind can do to get the most out of a player.     

Edited by coachbuns
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I am indifferent to Hill.  He would be parked on the GB bench, and nobody would have any idea he is capable of being used the way Payton is using him.  Taking a hard line with Cook, and then signing Bennett as an "upgrade" was a classic case of fixing something that wasn't broken, and in the process... breaking it.  Rodgers clearly trusted Cook, and for better or worse (it's definitely worse) that's half the battle for receivers on this team.

23 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Taking a hard line with Cook, and then signing Bennett as an "upgrade" was a classic case of fixing something that wasn't broken, and in the process... breaking it. 

This is true and it never made any sense IMO. Sounds like the penny pincher (Ball) imposed his will.

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is true and it never made any sense IMO. Sounds like the penny pincher (Ball) imposed his will.

I'm convinced that there was ill will from the front office towards Cook stemming from when he hurt his foot in Vegas at a Hakkasan nightclub in the time between signing in March and the second week of OTAs in June. It required surgery and caused Cook to miss most of training camp which led to a very slow start to the season. By year end Cook showed how valuable he was as a receiving weapon but the Packers drew a line in the sand when Cook wanted a big raise. I'll forever believe that without that incident in Vegas, Cook and the Packers strike a multiyear extension.

And for those who want to question where this story is coming from, I witnessed it with my own eyes. His foot hurt so bad after landing awkwardly while jumping around dancing in the club that he couldn't walk on it. His friends had to carry him out. My memory at the time was that he had prior issues with the foot but he clearly did something to turn what didn't require surgery into something that did. He then showed up to OTAs two days later with an injury that required said surgery and the team announced it as a preventative measure. That was complete cover, not wanting to look like they signed a knucklehead. Even then people should have known something was amiss since Cook passed his physical when he signed in March. If they simply wanted to clean up some things with his foot, they would've done it right after he signed.

This is not a defense of Russ Ball, who I can't stand. If anything, they let emotions get in the way of a smart investment. Accidents happen and lots of players go to Vegas just prior to the start of camp/OTAs. Cook is/was a great kid and he showed his value when it mattered that season. My guess is Cook gave a BS story for how he hurt his foot and team doctors were probably able to tell he was lying. And that distrust likely hampered the negotiations to come.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Golfman said:

And then we overreacted by signing Graham to that ridiculous deal too boot! 

Yeah, some folks pee and moan about how much Rodgers is getting but overall all QBs get their dollars.  Graham's deal worse for what he's done and amount of money he's made when compared to other TE's? 

On 11/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, Outpost31 said:

You’re not understanding my point.  First round picks are supposed to be integral pieces to your team with the idea of building a Super Bowl team.  Niners have 4 first round picks on the DL and their DL is dominant.  That team is winning games with a backup QB this year.  They’re competing for a long time.  Now what happens if you have all your talent at TE, IOL, ILB, WR...?  

I'm a bit late but....

Are you seriously referring to the player who signed a contract making him the highest paid player in the NFL as "a backup QB? 🙄