Week 14 GDT - New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That's putting our team's hopes and destiny in someone else's hands. We cannot count on them to lose any games. They get the calls and/or get really lucky. We get neither.

What I laid out was one possible scenario. If we win out, we're the #1 seed. It's doable, but not easy. 14-2 is hard to achieve. 2016 was the last time there has been a 14-2 team. Only 5 teams in the past 10 years have gone 14-2. 

Seattle has been very lucky all year. They should have at least two additional losses under their belt. Their style of play is hard to sustain and will hopefully catch up with them. It would be great to see the Rams actually play well for once this year and beat the Seahawks. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

So, the Saints have more of a duo power (vs speed) threat on the edges with Davenport and Cam Jordan, imo... right? 

How do u guys feel that will match up with our OTs? be it McG and Staley (which seems likely) or Brunskill ?

I have no idea what to expect from Staley at this point. Going back to preseason (where he was pretty rough), he's looked far more bad than good this year in my opinion. There's really a part of me that wants him to sit this game just so I can get a continued look at Brunskill to be perfectly honest. 

McG has looked much better in pass pro the last two weeks, so I think that is promising. I don't think that he's an elite pass protector by any stretch, but when he's on his game, he's just fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

We could lose this game and still win the division. It's not the most hopeful scenario, but it's doable. This would require the Seahawks to lose two more times this year, include us beating them in week 17. 

In all reality, the week 17 game is now the most important game on our schedule. Regardless of what happens this weekend, week 17 will decide if we get a first-round bye or we're the 5th seed.

At this point, I think that they are just as important. If we lose this game and Seattle doesn't lose between now and then (the Rams game is certainly a possibility, but Carolina at this point is just a shell of a team and I would give them no real shot at winning that game at Seattle), then it really doesn't matter what we do moving forward without a lot of help from Green Bay and (gulp) Washington. 

As Chris said, the moment you lose this game, you no longer control your destiny, and that's a bad spot to be in. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

At this point, I think that they are just as important. If we lose this game and Seattle doesn't lose between now and then (the Rams game is certainly a possibility, but Carolina at this point is just a shell of a team and I would give them no real shot at winning that game at Seattle), then it really doesn't matter what we do moving forward without a lot of help from Green Bay and (gulp) Washington. 

As Chris said, the moment you lose this game, you no longer control your destiny, and that's a bad spot to be in. 

The Carolina game is not in Seattle, but you're still right. They're not what they were when we faced them. Usually, when a new coach takes over, the team will win a game or two right off the bat in response to the change, but it's hard to say that they will beat Seattle. It would be great to see that happen, though.