An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

I think you have that hand shake deal in place with Blake for him to go out, test the market, and show GB what offers are like.  Then...make the decision.

I have a hard time believing that he's a 14-16M/year player.  At that money, it is an easy pass.  If the value is around 8M/year.  I'd do that, but no longer than 4 years.  Ideally 4.  You do the extra year for the signing bonus spread.  He's going to break down soon.  Most ILB's do after 5 years.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think you have that hand shake deal in place with Blake for him to go out, test the market, and show GB what offers are like.  Then...make the decision.

I have a hard time believing that he's a 14-16M/year player.  At that money, it is an easy pass.  If the value is around 8M/year.  I'd do that, but no longer than 4 years.  Ideally 4.  You do the extra year for the signing bonus spread.  He's going to break down soon.  Most ILB's do after 5 years.

He's going to get north of 10 and it's an easy pass for me. I think you can get a guy like Kwiatkowski for less than 8 with little to no drop off. 

I"m all in on Amari Cooper which I know is not popular around here, but who cares. 

I'll drop another name I'd be interested in whose market value has fallen significantly with a couple of off years. Vic Beasley, I jump on him with a one year prove it deal. You can never have enough pass rushers and he'd wreak havoc on the EDGE for us. Allow Zadarius to stay  inside too. 

34 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He's going to get north of 10 and it's an easy pass for me. I think you can get a guy like Kwiatkowski for less than 8 with little to no drop off. 

I"m all in on Amari Cooper which I know is not popular around here, but who cares. 

I'll drop another name I'd be interested in whose market value has fallen significantly with a couple of off years. Vic Beasley, I jump on him with a one year prove it deal. You can never have enough pass rushers and he'd wreak havoc on the EDGE for us. Allow Zadarius to stay  inside too. 

Even in his one great year, Beasley had darned few pressures.  Kind of a Fack2018 year back then for him.

I'm a hard pass on him.

I do like Kwiatkowski.  I could get interested in De'Vondre Campell from them.  Led them in tackles the last two years.  As an option outside of Blake, though Campbell lists as an OLB.  But I think he's paired up inside a lot.

I'm interested in Cooper, too, but that's a huge payday for an "off" or "on" receiver.  And Dallas has plenty of cap space to keep him.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm interested in Cooper, too, but that's a huge payday for an "off" or "on" receiver.  And Dallas has plenty of cap space to keep him.

Appparently we've struck gold "timing-wise" what with the upcoming draft being perfect to address our WR needs. After a year of watching rookies running around and catching passes from last years draft - I think this draft can address our needs (if we dont bury the selection in the cheap seats rounds) - for a longer term and lower cost than Cooper who will cost a pretty penny. We'd probably be better served designating that $$$ to a different position (i.e. FA or extension/resign).

Just now, Leader said:

Appparently we've struck gold "timing-wise" what with the upcoming draft being perfect to address our WR needs. After a year of watching rookies running around and catching passes from last years draft - I think this draft can address our needs (if we dont bury the selection in the cheap seats rounds) - for a longer term and lower cost than Cooper who will cost a pretty penny. We'd probably be better served designating that $$$ to a different position (i.e. FA or extension/resign).

Rookie WRs and Rodgers don't miss. I think you bring in another stud vet and we go all in for next 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

If we go WR early in the draft the guy better be able to make an early impact.  If it's more of a developmental prospect I want to look to free agency as well.

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Even in his one great year, Beasley had darned few pressures.  Kind of a Fack2018 year back then for him.

I'm a hard pass on him.

I do like Kwiatkowski.  I could get interested in De'Vondre Campell from them.  Led them in tackles the last two years.  As an option outside of Blake, though Campbell lists as an OLB.  But I think he's paired up inside a lot.

Dallas having the cash and him wanting to stay may be two different things here. They either pay Dak b4 free agency or franchise him. Which means Cooper likely gets to hit the open market. It's a long shot and expensive for sure. 

I'm more bullish on Beasley than you are, what can I say. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Rookie WRs and Rodgers don't miss. I think you bring in another stud vet and we go all in for next 2-3 years. 

Well, I dont buy that logic at all. Not after watching any number of rookie WRs making impacts across the league.

If they bring the "on the field" talent - our QB damn well throw them the ball.

GB cant refuse to draft top talent because we've got a fussy QB. That makes *zero* sense and is refuted by what other "lesser" QBs are capable of.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well, I dont buy that logic at all. Not after watching any number of rookie WRs making impacts across the league.

If they bring the "on the field" talent - our QB damn well throw them the ball.

GB cant refuse to draft top talent because we've got a fussy QB. That makes *zero* sense and is refuted by what other "lesser" QBs are capable of.

Given Rodgers' record with rookie wide receivers we better plan on drafting one and also signing a free agent.  It has to be polished route running additions or they could wind up in the doghouse with #12 quickly.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Given Rodgers' record with rookie wide receivers we better plan on drafting one and also signing a free agent.  It has to be polished route running additions or they could wind up in the doghouse with #12 quickly.

Or - our coaching staff should impose on AR the need to use all the talent put at his disposal. It's downright stupid the GBPs need to change their talent procurement (and spending) because our QB has "issues" that other NFL QBs seem to have mastered.

AR contract doesnt come with a "doghouse" provision. If a rookie WR is screwing up badly - its on the coaching staff to pull him and coach him up - if possible. If the rookie WRs infractions are minor - its incumbent on the coaching staff to straighten AR out.

40 minutes ago, Leader said:

Or - our coaching staff should impose on AR the need to use all the talent put at his disposal. It's downright stupid the GBPs need to change their talent procurement (and spending) because our QB has "issues" that other NFL QBs seem to have mastered.

AR contract doesnt come with a "doghouse" provision. If a rookie WR is screwing up badly - its on the coaching staff to pull him and coach him up - if possible. If the rookie WRs infractions are minor - its incumbent on the coaching staff to straighten AR out.

All well and good ... easier said than done.  Just looking for WR's that can run good routes, seperate and catch the ball.  Adams can do it ... Packers need more!  Gute will handle this like he did last year on defense.  Get r done and this team is looking good. 

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Just looking for WR's that can run good routes, seperate and catch the ball.

Apparently this draft is WR heavy. We should be able to find a talent (or two) that can accomplish these tasks. Again - its not like GB has reinvented the QB/WR wheel here - but in a sense, we've allowed AR to do it all on his own with this "draft a guy and expect to get nothing from him till year 2" philosophy.

Now - perhaps thats because the organization hasnt designated high enough draft picks to the issue. Dont know / cant say - but other teams - other rookie WRs - are running around and catching passes from a wide variety of QBs. I think our "GOAT wanna-be" can accomplish what these others apparently have mastered.

I would hope so - and again - if the WRs are doing their thing within some acceptable "rookie screwup" range - but ARs bypassing them - thats on the coaches.