An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

All things considered TE is where we should bring a guy in. Grahm is likely cut. Lewis is old. Jace/Tonyan are big questions. If we want production, we need one (Henry, Doyle, Ebron, Hooper).

The wr class is super deep this year. I’d be fine double dipping rounds 2-4. Snag a DL and OL with 2 of our top 4 picks. 

The only hole this leaves us with is again ILB, which it really comes down to the Blake price tag 

On 1/16/2020 at 4:29 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

I was originally all for keeping both Bulaga and Martinez because I was thinking we could get both for about $20m pa total ($11m for Bulaga, $9m for Martinez). When I started see figures like Spotrac's estimated $16m pa, just for Martinez, that is when I decided the Packers probably wouldn't pay that. A pity, because I like Martinez, but $16m pa seems way too much.

That's top 3 money for Blake Martinez.  I feel fairly confident he isn't getting top 3 ILB money.

Our #1 FA target should be DL. Stopping the run has been our Achilles heal all year. SF took a look at the tape and saw Dean Lowery, Tyler Lancaster, M. Adams, and Keke. It was a no brainer to build a game plan around running the ball. In fact most NFL defenses are designed to stop the pass. Most expensive front 7 personnel acquisitions are pass rushers. SF did the same thing to Mine, and they will try to do the same thing to KC. 

The Packers can't be a legitimate Super Bowl contender with Lancaster and Lowery starting. SF has just shown the league how to beat us. RUN the ball. Seattle tried, but their OL was beat up and they had no RBs. This flaw needs to be fixed before next season. It should be priority 1.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Our #1 FA target should be DL. Stopping the run has been our Achilles heal all year. SF took a look at the tape and saw Dean Lowery, Tyler Lancaster, M. Adams, and Keke. It was a no brainer to build a game plan around running the ball. In fact most NFL defenses are designed to stop the pass. Most expensive front 7 personnel acquisitions are pass rushers. SF did the same thing to Mine, and they will try to do the same thing to KC. 

The Packers can't be a legitimate Super Bowl contender with Lancaster and Lowery starting. SF has just shown the league how to beat us. RUN the ball. Seattle tried, but their OL was beat up and they had no RBs. This flaw needs to be fixed before next season. It should be priority 1.

I really think that most teams third string DL are better than the Packer starting DL with the only exception of Clark who is a legitimate starter.

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

The 15m number being quoted for Blake seems made up. Analytics tools that only look at tackling numbers aren’t the be all end all.

I agree, but even if you devalue it by 20-30%, it is still an obnoxious number.

I think his value is around $7M/year.  If I apply that standard up charge because I'm routinely "off", I'll increase by 30%.  And now we are at about $9M.  Which is still a tough pill to swallow.

The Blake contract situation is a tough one.  And for me?  If it is "tough", I pass.

To Fix WR, Sign two of the following:
-Devin Funchess
-Breshad Perriman
-Nelson Agholor
-Phillip Dorsett
-Jarius Wright

No need to kill our cap health by signing AJ Green or 34-year-old Emmanuel Sanders.  We don't need another elite receiver, we just need another legitimate receiving option or two.  I really like Agholor.  I think he's checked out of Philadelphia and he is the type who screams to me break out year on new team.  I just don't know if he's checked out on the Eagles because Wentz is secretly not so secretly a terrible leader or because he sucks and he can't accept that.  Either way, worth a risk. 

As for Tight End:

-Eric Ebron
-Hunter Henry
-Austin Hooper
-Tyler Eifert

Those are your only options if you want an improvement.  The Colts are completely dissatisfied with Ebron.  He checked out on their team.  Don't know when, and you hate to see that, but he still has physical ability.  I don't think he's a great option for us because it seems he had success when and only when Luck started giving him opportunities, and I don't think Rodgers will give him those opportunities unless he is where he has to be.  Hunter Henry I think will get re-signed.  Austin Hooper and you are only signing him most likely.  If you go after him you're not getting any other significant free agents.  Tyler Eifert gets my vote here.  Sternberger might turn into something, so you should probably wait and see on that.  Sign Eifert, hope he's able to stay healthy for a while, restructure Graham and ride it out with improved receivers and hope for the best.  It gives us an opportunity to still make a signing on defense, where we still need help. 

As for LB, let's get Darron Lee.  @Packerraymond keeps trying to remind me how he's a plus player in spite of his sub-40 PFF grade this year and the fact that he got benched in spite of being traded. 

Just kidding. 

Onwuasor, Kwiatkoski, Littleton, Trevathan.  Those are our options, and I don't trust any of them.  All four are in extremely favorable situations for an ILB, and if Martinez was in any of their spots, we'd be hoping to sign Martinez.  If we move on from Pettine, I'd like to just keep Martinez.  If we don't move on from Pettine, I'd like to bring in a different ILB with maybe a little bit of a meaner disposition. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

To Fix WR, Sign two of the following:
-Devin Funchess
-Breshad Perriman
-Nelson Agholor
-Phillip Dorsett
-Jarius Wright

No need to kill our cap health by signing AJ Green or 34-year-old Emmanuel Sanders.  We don't need another elite receiver, we just need another legitimate receiving option or two.  I really like Agholor.  I think he's checked out of Philadelphia and he is the type who screams to me break out year on new team.  I just don't know if he's checked out on the Eagles because Wentz is secretly not so secretly a terrible leader or because he sucks and he can't accept that.  Either way, worth a risk. 

In this scenario are we still looking in the draft, or would it be:

Adams
1 of 2
2 of 2
Lazard
MVS
EQ

Cause if we get 2 in FA, probably means we aren't looking top 64 for a WR, which is ok in this scenario 

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

In this scenario are we still looking in the draft, or would it be:

Adams
1 of 2
2 of 2
Lazard
MVS
EQ

Cause if we get 2 in FA, probably means we aren't looking top 64 for a WR, which is ok in this scenario 

We went all out on pass rush this offseason and I expect we’d do the same thing at WR.  Two to get us by for Aaron’s last three years plus a second or third rounder to develop for our next QB.  Lazard/MVS could still make a jump.