An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Figures.

in all seriousness, Clowney is probably going to sign for appx $20m, even with a competitor or Seattle. We won't come close. We will have the Smith's and Kenny Clark, we just can't afford to allocate that much more cap to Clowney. I don't know what you think we would afford, but even paying another DL $15m would be hard to swallow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

True .. and they got what they deserved.  One wrong doesn't make a right.  Maybe he isn't as dumb/greedy as everybody thinks.

I just don't read a ton into it, just seems like a standard comment these days. At this point in his career, I have to believe he's just going to take the most money.

29 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

in all seriousness, Clowney is probably going to sign for appx $20m, even with a competitor or Seattle. We won't come close. We will have the Smith's and Kenny Clark, we just can't afford to allocate that much more cap to Clowney. I don't know what you think we would afford, but even paying another DL $15m would be hard to swallow. 

Not disagreeing with you.  Just saying it would be criminal to not kick his tires to see how they roll.  

So I've come to the conclusion that Armstead is this year's Anthony Barr. We all want him because he fills a need and think that the current team he is on won't resign him. When he sticks with SF just like Barr stuck with MN though...

No way SF breaks up that DL. If anything, they'd let a DB or ILB go from that defense and draft that person's replacement early...

3 hours ago, St Vince said:

My dream offseason would be Armstead, Watkins. Draft TE.  ILB. RT first 3 rounds. I don't know our financial situation this offseason so i guess my question would be could that be possible financially.

Why do we need to draft a TE?. We have Jace Sternberger who I believe will be Top 5 TE's at some point in his career with GB. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

So I've come to the conclusion that Armstead is this year's Anthony Barr. We all want him because he fills a need and think that the current team he is on won't resign him. When he sticks with SF just like Barr stuck with MN though...

No way SF breaks up that DL. If anything, they'd let a DB or ILB go from that defense and draft that person's replacement early...

No way SF can KEEP that DL together for long. DeForest Buckner will want maybe $18m or more pa, (contract ends after 2020). Dee Ford is earning $17m pa.  D.J.Jones will want plenty before his tiny contract runs out at the end of 2020. Kwon Alexander is averaging $13.5m pa (it will be $16.5m in 2021).

Garoppolo's contract is $27.5m pa, and Bosa, even as a rookie, is earning $8.38m. Staley is on $12.5m in 2020 and Sherman is averaging $9m. Spotrac has the 49ers 2020 cap space at just $16.7m. With that many high wage bills, I expect Armstead to be the one to go. Sure it might be someone else, but they need to shed some high price guys (or future high earners). They have no 2nd, 3rd, 4th round draft picks this year, so they get just one quality replacement, making it even tougher to dump guys like Staley or Sherman. The huge investment they made on the front seven on defense becomes a big millstone around their necks when the second contracts begin. It looks great at this time, but I think they over-invested there in the last 5 years.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Just looked this up on the spotrac FA Market value

Blake Martinez

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/blake-martinez-19085/market-value/

$16.3MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY

Market Value

5 yrs, $81,796,481

Avg. Salary: $16,359,296

NFL Rank: 37

ILB Rank: 3

Holy man.....huge pass at that avg 

------------------------------------

Bryan Bulaga

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/bryan-bulaga-6532/market-value/

$10.1MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY

Market Value

3 yrs, $30,446,121

Avg. Salary: $10,148,707

NFL Rank: 144

RT Rank: 4

I could live with that.  Assuming the Russ Ball magic is able to keep the guarantees low enough and have an option to be out after 2 years.  Maybe $12M signing bonus and cap hits of 

2020 $6M

2021 $11M

2022 $13M

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Blake Martinez

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/blake-martinez-19085/market-value/

$16.3MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY

Market Value

5 yrs, $81,796,481

Avg. Salary: $16,359,296

NFL Rank: 37

ILB Rank: 3

Holy man.....huge pass at that avg 

it'd be rough to even give him half of that 

Edited by FinneasGage
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

No way SF can KEEP that DL together for long. DeForest Buckner will want maybe $18m or more pa, (contract ends after 2020). Dee Ford is earning $17m pa.  D.J.Jones will want plenty before his tiny contract runs out at the end of 2020. Kwon Alexander is averaging $13.5m pa (it will be $16.5m in 2021).

Garoppolo's contract is $27.5m pa, and Bosa, even as a rookie, is earning $8.38m. Staley is on $12.5m in 2020 and Sherman is averaging $9m. Spotrac has the 49ers 2020 cap space at just $16.7m. With that many high wage bills, I expect Armstead to be the one to go. Sure it might be someone else, but they need to shed some high price guys (or future high earners). They have no 2nd, 3rd, 4th round draft picks this year, so they get just one quality replacement, making it even tougher to dump guys like Staley or Sherman. The huge investment they made on the front seven on defense becomes a big millstone around their necks when the second contracts begin. It looks great at this time, but I think they over-invested there in the last 5 years.

I agree with you on this I don't think they can re-sign him long term. But I cannot see them letting him walk. They will franchise him and move him like chiefs did with Dee Ford. 

On 1/13/2020 at 1:46 PM, Norm said:

I just don't read a ton into it, just seems like a standard comment these days. At this point in his career, I have to believe he's just going to take the most money.

Agreed, he forced his way off a playoff team (Houston) due to contract negotiations. He’s going to the greenest pasture.

Also, for what he’d take to sign, I’m out. Even though he’s only missed 4 games in 4 years, the guy always seems banged up. In a non contract year he probably sits out another 2 games this year. I’m not into paying that 20m a year

9 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

it'd be rough to even give him half of that 

I think people are getting a little freaked out by the numbers and forget the cap is going up 10m a year. I’m not advocating for paying Blake 16, but  8-10 a year is fair based on what starters are making.

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

If we don’t resign him, we either have to;

1. Use a plus pick on an ilb

2. Pay someone else who could easily cost more