An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Appparently we've struck gold "timing-wise" what with the upcoming draft being perfect to address our WR needs. After a year of watching rookies running around and catching passes from last years draft - I think this draft can address our needs (if we dont bury the selection in the cheap seats rounds) - for a longer term and lower cost than Cooper who will cost a pretty penny. We'd probably be better served designating that $$$ to a different position (i.e. FA or extension/resign).

It is a strong WR class.  And at the end of round one, I think it opens up many options.  I think PackerRaymond Reddington said it a few posts ago....ILB, TE, interior lineman and WR could be taken at the end of round one.

I'm all for one of our first two picks to be used on a WR.

And I still want a FA receiver.  Maybe not Cooper due to cost, but someone.  Maybe AJ Green for 2 years, $19M.  If medicals check out.  But yes, I'd like a rookie and vet WR, please. 

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

Dallas having the cash and him wanting to stay may be two different things here. They either pay Dak b4 free agency or franchise him. Which means Cooper likely gets to hit the open market. It's a long shot and expensive for sure. 

I'm more bullish on Beasley than you are, what can I say. 

I get being "bullish" on Beasley.  But his pressure rate was poor the year he put up big sack numbers.  Still, it's fun to think of what he could do when he isn't the focal point of the offensive line.

Dallas has $90M or so under the cap.  They can franchise Dak and still re-sign Cooper.  Or vice versa.  Or simply re-sign both.  They can pretty much afford to do whatever they want.  

Now...if Dallas decides to not go after Cooper, that will be telling.  They invested a lot into him in draft capital.  If they let him walk that should tell us that they don't feel the player is worth it.  It's an interesting situation to watch.  

I'm coming to the conclusion that coverage linebackers are harder to find than the stronger-but-slower run stopper type (and if they do both at a high level they are probably high first round picks).

Because of this I'm looking at Rams veteran ILB Corey Littleton. He is 26, is playing for the Rams on a one year $3m contract (was originally an undrafted FA). He has easily outplayed that contract, which is a problem for the cash strapped Rams. His speciality is coverage. 

If the Packers could secure him for $8-9m pa, they could allow Martinez to chase the big bucks elsewhere and draft an ILB in round 3 or 4 that can do the more physical tackling/run stopper job (I think it is easier to find a thumper than a coverage guy in this draft).

When I do a mock draft, sometime in the not too distant future, I think he will be a lock for one of my veteran additions - it's just his future contract value that is hard to determine.

https://www.scout.com/football/nfl/news/cory-littleton-finishes-the-season-as-an-elite-linebacker-4-as-expected/

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get being "bullish" on Beasley.  But his pressure rate was poor the year he put up big sack numbers.  Still, it's fun to think of what he could do when he isn't the focal point of the offensive line.

Dallas has $90M or so under the cap.  They can franchise Dak and still re-sign Cooper.  Or vice versa.  Or simply re-sign both.  They can pretty much afford to do whatever they want.  

Now...if Dallas decides to not go after Cooper, that will be telling.  They invested a lot into him in draft capital.  If they let him walk that should tell us that they don't feel the player is worth it.  It's an interesting situation to watch.  

They may offer and he may want to test the market. I don't think it's a sign at all. 

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It would be telling, but in regards to the draft capital, it was a situation in which they had no viable options at WR outside of maybe Cole Beasley and made a short-term decision that they thought could turn into a long-term solution. I think you throw out how they acquired him given WHY they acquired him.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm coming to the conclusion that coverage linebackers are harder to find than the stronger-but-slower run stopper type (and if they do both at a high level they are probably high first round picks).

Because of this I'm looking at Rams veteran LB Corey Littleton. He is 26, is playing for the Rams on a one year $3m contract (was originally an undrafted FA). He has easily outplayed that contract, which a problem for the cash strapped Rams. His speciality is coverage. 

If the Packers could secure him for $8-9m pa, they could allow Martinez to chase the big bucks elsewhere and draft an ILB in round 3 or 4 that can do the more physical tackling/run stopper job (I think it is easier to find a thumper than a coverage guy in this draft).

When I do a mock draft, sometime in the not too distant future, I think he will be a lock for one of my veteran additions - it's just his future contract value that is hard to determine.

I agree with the logic, but unless Pettine gets fired, there's no reason to let Blake walk given his knowledge of the defense, let alone his veteran leadership.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I agree with the logic, but unless Pettine gets fired, there's no reason to let Blake walk given his knowledge of the defense, let alone his veteran leadership.

I was originally all for keeping both Bulaga and Martinez because I was thinking we could get both for about $20m pa total ($11m for Bulaga, $9m for Martinez). When I started see figures like Spotrac's estimated $16m pa, just for Martinez, that is when I decided the Packers probably wouldn't pay that. A pity, because I like Martinez, but $16m pa seems way too much.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I was originally all for keeping both Bulaga and Martinez because I was thinking we could get both for about $20m pa total ($11m for Bulaga, $9m for Martinez). When I started see figures like Spotrac's estimated $16m pa, just for Martinez, that is when I decided the Packers probably wouldn't pay that. A pity, because I like Martinez, but $16m pa seems way too much.

Yes that is truly insane for Martinez.  Don't think he comes anywhere close to that in FA.  The guy can't cover and isn't in the mold of the new age LB that teams covet.  Love the guy but common not at that price.  Be ok with about half of that.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 10:38 PM, Scoremore said:

Yes that is truly insane for Martinez.  Don't think he comes anywhere close to that in FA.  The guy can't cover and isn't in the mold of the new age LB that teams covet.  Love the guy but common not at that price.  Be ok with about half of that.

We can't pay that for Martinez. If he does go for huge money and Bulaga isn't re-signed then do we have to consider playing the comp picks game. If we are looking at third rounder comp picks, do we need to be careful who we sign in FA and maybe target guys who don't count.

I like the idea of a 2 year cycle  but it doesn't really work that well with where Rodgers is at in his career. Next season could be his last ...

On 16/01/2020 at 9:58 PM, vegas492 said:

It is a strong WR class.  And at the end of round one, I think it opens up many options.  I think PackerRaymond Reddington said it a few posts ago....ILB, TE, interior lineman and WR could be taken at the end of round one.

I'm all for one of our first two picks to be used on a WR.

And I still want a FA receiver.  Maybe not Cooper due to cost, but someone.  Maybe AJ Green for 2 years, $19M.  If medicals check out.  But yes, I'd like a rookie and vet WR, please. 

Please no to AJ Green .....    look at big Jimmy Graham for your reasons why.

Want a free agent WR to go with a high draft pick but only if its a second contract guy.  OK with an older fill in at cheap money but no more throwing big money to old guys that are declining, getting slower and getting more injury prone please. If your paying decent money it needs to be a second contract player.

On 16/01/2020 at 7:08 PM, beveaux1 said:

Rodgers threw the ball to Adams in his rookie year.  He caught 38 passes, which would have been 2nd among WRs this year.

Yeah the whole Rodgers doesn't like rookies thing is a bit of a non-argument really.

Rodgers doesn't like throwing to players who aren't very good (which isn't the worst strategy if used in moderation).  He was more than happy to throw to Adams as a rookie and we haven't had a decent rookie receiver since then. He seemed happy to target Lazard (I know not a rookie but near enough). 

Given that the passing game is a lot about timing, its actually not the worst idea to ask his opinion about players he thinks would work but that's all it would be, another voice.