Was Saquon the right pick for Giants?

SotanKing

Was Saquon the right pick?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Was Saquon the right pick?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2019 at 11:23 PM

Right now, Darnold and Allen have not proven to be better than Daniel Jones. The 3 are about the same at the moment. Still early though. 
So, I’d say it’s a descent to good pick. In hindsight, had they gone Nelson G and Chubb RB as opposed to Saquon RB and Hernandez G, they would have knocked it out of the park.

7 minutes ago, DannyB said:

...What are you taking about? Zeke Elliott had almost an identical rookie year: 2k yards from scrimmage, about 15 TDs

Well... the giants ol is a dumpster full of turnstiles on fire while Zeke has had an elite OL to run behind his whole career.  

Watching Zeke,  I rarely see him making a move or break free from contact for extra yardage.  While  I've seen Barkley at several points in his rookie campaign turn nothing into something solely on his merit alone. 

Don't get me wrong,  Zeke's a fine back (he has perhaps the most important quality of the position in durability),  but most of what I've seen from him seems to suggest his insane production is a result , mostly, of what I call the "production sponge effect" - a combination of having an elite OL to run behind,  a QB that can stretch the field,  and, most importantly,  a lot of touches. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just don't think a RB is worth that high of pick. Saquon level of talent or not.

And in this case it's hard to evaluate what the Giants would've done if they traded back. Would they have made bad draft picks without Saquon at #1? Would they have hit on 2 1st-round picks that year as a result? Who knows. 

13 minutes ago, DannyB said:

...What are you taking about? Zeke Elliott had almost an identical rookie year: 2k yards from scrimmage, about 15 TDs

SaQuon Barkley had roughly double the number broken tackles of any other RB in the league his rookie year.

By the way Zeke had the best OLine in football his rookie year, meanwhile SaQuon had a bottom 3-5 Offensive Line. Context.

7 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

RB is the least important position in the NFL by far. They can't carry games and only make differences for the top 5 or so teams in the league that already have the rest of the pieces required to win a SB.

OLB in the 4-3 is pretty high up there too.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And judging by the highest paid players over the past 10 years, so is DB (though CB's are starting to get more recognition lately, but Safety is completely forgotten)

1. QB
2. Getting to the QB
3. Stopping them from getting to the QB
4. Completing Throws
5. Stopping them from completing throws
6. Kicking units
7. Stopping RBs
8. RB

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Ah I see. A theoretical statement that there is no way to prove or disprove.

i LOVE Saquon Barkley, and I hope he performs at an elite level for several years. But, just to be clear, so far he's put together one elite season, as have many backs over the past ten years, such as: Le"Veon Bell, Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson, Todd Gurley, Zeke Elliot, David Johnson, etc. So let's just hold off a tick on calling him generational.

This is his second year in the league. I’m talking as a talent, not his resume or his career. I never said his production is rare. I said what he did, given the circumstances was something that few backs could do, which is an indication of generational. Given what he was running behind,  he was arguably the best RB in the league as a rookie which is rare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

1. QB
2. Getting to the QB
3. Stopping them from getting to the QB
4. Completing Throws
5. Stopping them from completing throws
6. Kicking units
7. Stopping RBs
8. RB

EXCUSE ME SIR, HOW DARE YOU LEAVE OUT "BLOCKING FOR THE RB BUT NOT ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, YOU STAND IN BETWEEN THE RB AND OL"

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And in this case it's hard to evaluate what the Giants would've done if they traded back. Would they have made bad draft picks without Saquon at #1? Would they have hit on 2 1st-round picks that year as a result? Who knows. 

There's no guarantee that the Giants have any great suitors for trading back. They might be offers but they might be low-ball offers that aren't worth the #2 pick - in which case you stay where you are and take your guy. If I'm trading the #2 pick I want some value for trading back - if all I'm getting is swapping picks + a 5th round pick, yeah screw that.

I think in the moment of that draft, it was a poor choice. However, with the added benefit of hindsight, I don't like what I've seen from the other QBs of that draft and don't think they were worth taking. So I think it's more defensible with that in mind.

• Like 1