Was Saquon the right pick for Giants?

SotanKing

Was Saquon the right pick?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Was Saquon the right pick?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2019 at 11:23 PM

Saquon is a insane talent but there were concerns about picking a RB with 2nd pick as value wise, there are other positions which are lot more valuable than a RB. 2 seasons (almost) later, Giants have had terrible record for 2nd straight season..Saquon himself is having a relatively mediocre season (I guess he can't really do much if your line can't block). What if Giants picked someone like Quenton Nelson with that 2nd pick instead of Saquon? Quenton Nelson for me would have had lot more impact on this team than Saquon.

So, do you still think Saquon was the right pick?

Edited by upriser7

9 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Well..wasn't Saquon referred as generational talent pretty much by most of them during the draft process?

Yes. And he is. Still has the highest potential in the entire NFL at the position.

The only question really comes in at

SaQuon or Darnold/Allen/Rosen

Rosen it's obvious they made the right choice. Allen and Darnold remains to be seen. It's not like Daniel Jones has performed horribly either.

• Like 1

I'm as big a fan of Saquon as anyone else, but "generational talent" is...a stretch. What does he do that prime AP or Zeke not do? He's "the next big thing" at RB, but generational talent is idk. Unless we're specifically talking about his leg strength, because that is rivaled only by MJD.

But regarding the pick - it was the wrong pick then and it's still the wrong pick now. However, if the Giants' plan was to pick BPA and then go QB the next year, who am I to say otherwise? They had a plan, and so far it's failed. The strategy was right from that standpoint (BPA and then QB) since they didn't like Rosen/Darnold/Allen (and I agree with that assessment tbh). The issue is that Daniel Jones is not a good QB, either. You might as well have taken Josh Allen.

EDIT: I suppose it comes down to whether you think the Giants would be better with Saquon + Daniel Jones, or Allen/Rosen/Darnold + (idk who would be a comp here). That's an interesting debate.

EDIT2: Players still on the board when Giants picked at #6:

• Dwayne Haskins
  • Ed Oliver
  • Josh Allen (DE)
  • Devin Bush
  • Rashan Gary
  • Christian Wilkins
  • Brian Burns
  • Jeffrey Simmons

So just for gigs let's say the Giants' plan was to go QB here this year. Are they a better team with Haskins + Saquon, or Josh Allen + Ed Oliver?

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

It was ill-timed

The RB should be the final piece for your championship window, so you can get his peak 6 years when you are going for Superbowls

Giants have already burned 2 and are set to burn at least 2 more before they are potentially relevant. They are going to be looking down the barrel of tying a RB to a big contract and a lot of capspace before there's any real benefit to it

Edited by TheGame316
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Not a fan of picking running backs that high. Especially if you need a quaterback. The 49ers this year have the number one rushing offense in the NFL largely on the backs of two undrafted free agents. 

While the spirit of this comment is fine, in the interest of accuracy, we aren't the #1 rushing offense by pretty much any metric. 

We are #2 in rushing attempts per game (Balt #1), 2nd in rushing yards per game (Balt is way ahead), tied for 7th in yards per attempt, 2nd in Touchdowns, 2nd in carries 20+ yards, 14th in rushing offense dvoa. 

Now, if you want to exclude Baltimore on the basis of Lamar Jackson, that's a different story. 

25 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

My takeaway from this thread: We throw around the term generational talent too much.

He was the best RB prospect I've seen in my time following the sport. That includes guys like Adrian Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson. If that's not a generational talent, I don't know what is.

Having said that... one has to weigh talent with position importance. More and more it is becoming apparent that RBs simply don't matter in the NFL, at least anymore. Most of the elite NFL RBs have ended their careers without a ring (including the aftermentioned Peterson and Tomlinson). History shows us that investing high draft choices and Cap space into the RB position simply doesn't lead to wins compared to more essential positions. Fact of the matter is, rushing becomes secondary to passing more and more each year, and a dominant OL is much more impactful in the running game than the man actually carrying the ball (heck one can argue that the team's QB is just as important if not more so to the rushing game than the RB, as a threatening passing game disallows opponents from crowding the line of scrimmage).

So yes, it was a reach for the Giants at 2nd overall. The way the game has evolved, no RB is going to be worth that. Just to be a late1st-round pick as a RB, to me, you should have receiving and blocking skills as well as the rushing capabilities (so you have to be a really special player to be worth a 1st round selection at all at that position).

But teams will keep reaching on RBs regardless, since they are a "sexy" (stat-accumulating) position.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm as big a fan of Saquon as anyone else, but "generational talent" is...a stretch. What does he do that prime AP or Zeke not do?

But regarding the pick - it was the wrong pick then and it's still the wrong pick now. However, if the Giants' plan was to pick BPA and then go QB the next year, who am I to say otherwise? They had a plan, and so far it's failed. The strategy was right from that standpoint (BPA and then QB) since they didn't like Rosen/Darnold/Allen (and I agree with that assessment tbh). The issue is that Daniel Jones is not a good QB, either. You might as well have taken Josh Allen.

AP was the last Generational Runningback.  He is way more elusive than Zeke, breaks way more tackles, and is a better pass catcher. People love to dawg on Barkley right now because his stats are down.

If you want to say it was the wrong pick and they should have taken a QB instead, I can see that. However don't sell Barkley short.

Edited by Danger
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm as big a fan of Saquon as anyone else, but "generational talent" is...a stretch. What does he do that prime AP or Zeke not do? He's "the next big thing" at RB, but generational talent is idk. Unless we're specifically talking about his leg strength, because that is rivaled only by MJD.

Saquon was a better prospect than both Zeke (not even close) and AP.

• Like 4

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Saquon was a better prospect than both Zeke (not even close) and AP.

Key word being prospect. Andrew Luck was a generational prospect - turns out he was just a good QB when it all came down to it. Russell Wilson was a mediocre prospect, but I'd argue he's a generational talent at QB.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

AP was the last Generational Runningback.  He is way more elusive than Zeke, breaks way more tackles, and is a better pass catcher. People love to dawg on Barkley right now because his stats are down.

Stats to back this up?