Week 16: Packers (11-3) at VIKINGS (10-4)

swede700

1 hour ago, KFP7 said:

So what I'm seeing is that over 9.7 years, the Packers have been gifted about 1 first down a year over the Vikings, and have a little under 3 a year against them on defense.  That's not exactly game-changing is it?  Obviously we can't tell how many are legit/bad calls and then missed calls but this chart is set up to look a lot worse visually than what it's actually saying. 

How many of these are due to Rodgers and his propensity to go for the quick snap to catch the defense in personnel changes?  He does seem to get that to work for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How many of these are due to Rodgers and his propensity to go for the quick snap to catch the defense in personnel changes?  He does seem to get that to work for him.

That is a very good point: it would be helpful to have a breakdown as to exactly what type of penalty has resulted in these first downs.  More directly to your point, how many of these were off-sides penalties, as opposed to roughing the passer, or illegal contact, or pass interference, for example.  Of course, not all 5 yd penalties result in first downs to begin with, so these would have to be added to the mix.

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

And when he hits a 40 yard td on the free plays (which he does a lot), I'm guessing the declined penalty doesn't show up.  That chart is pretty much useless. 

One thing that should be said about the penalties that Green Bay gets before the snap.  Rodgers works very hard on getting those.  He is terrified of throwing INT's and having his career numbers in that statistic affected.  If there is a quarterback in the league who has made a living on free plays after penalties, it's Rodgers.    That's actually a good thing though.  I wish our QB could take advantage of these situations more.

It's a two-edged sword, however.  One thing people forget about are all the penalties the Packers get for delay of game because Rodgers is playing games trying to draw defenders offsides.  Another thing that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is the number of time outs that are wasted because Rodgers runs the clock too close to 0:00.  It seems like every Packer game I watch there is at least one time where Rodgers wastes a time out hoping to get a free play.  Those time outs can become valuable late in games. 

What it all comes down to is that, yes, they probably do get more offside calls than a lot of teams, but those calls come at a price too.  I'm not too worried about it, and I don't think it's the refs being overly one-sided toward the Packers.

• Like 1

The chart shows first downs by penalty on 3rd downs, not penalties in total, or all penalties on 3rd downs. 

The numbers have little or nothing to do with Rodgers drawing teams offside. Here’s the breakdown of the calls:

Rodgers has no special talent that allows him to force defenses to commit illegal contact or unnecessary roughness on 3rd downs at a higher rate facing the Packers than any other team. Nor can he be credited for keeping the Packers defense from committing those fouls in similar situations against their opponents.

It’s fair to say the numbers are small, and the overall long-term effect likely isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

It’s also fair to say the division race would look different today if the refs hadn’t jobbed the Lions at Lambeau, where a phantom hands-to-the-face call turned what would’ve been a Packers 4th and 21 trailing by 2 scores with 8 minutes left into a drive-extending 1st down — exactly the kind of flag that shows up on this chart.

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The Lions have a way of getting wins against the Packers.  We had better not look past them.  Even with Stafford on IR.

I'll tell you this...I'm not looking forward to seeing your defense this week.  

Why? Our defense is terrible.  

We had two pretty decent games against a Blough led Lions team, and an underperforming franchise in the Chargers.  We looked good, sure, but no where near where we need to be to matchup to teams like SEA, NO, and SF.   

Even if we have a good game against you guys, that doesn’t really tell me anything in terms of what we’ll be capable of against the more elite teams.

Hoping our defense straightens things out.  

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

Why? Our defense is terrible.  

We had two pretty decent games against a Blough led Lions team, and an underperforming franchise in the Chargers.  We looked good, sure, but no where near where we need to be to matchup to teams like SEA, NO, and SF.   

Even if we have a good game against you guys, that doesn’t really tell me anything in terms of what we’ll be capable of against the more elite teams.

Hoping our defense straightens things out.  

Way to undersell our top-10 defense...I think you almost convinced him.  

BTW, I know you are being serious, but I, for one, don't have any reservations in saying that our defense will match up pretty well with NO and SF...now Seattle is a whole other matter.  They struggle against them, so I'd prefer to avoid them if they can (although I think they could still win).  

I agree. The Vikings are a top ten defense in almost every statistical metric. Even the pass defense is middle of the pack in terms of yards allowed. They've struggled badly in a couple of games, but have also put in back ups at the end of a couple of games and given up some garbage time yards and points. 

They aren't dominant, but should be good enough to compete with anyone. I think they match up really well with Packers outside of Aaron Jones. They know Rodgers and usually do a good job containing him.

For this game it would be great if they could lean on Boone and Abdullah and give Mattison and Cook another week of rest. I liked what I saw from Boone last week.

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

One thing that should be said about the penalties that Green Bay gets before the snap.  Rodgers works very hard on getting those.  He is terrified of throwing INT's and having his career numbers in that statistic affected.  If there is a quarterback in the league who has made a living on free plays after penalties, it's Rodgers.    That's actually a good thing though.  I wish our QB could take advantage of these situations more.

It's a two-edged sword, however.  One thing people forget about are all the penalties the Packers get for delay of game because Rodgers is playing games trying to draw defenders offsides.  Another thing that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is the number of time outs that are wasted because Rodgers runs the clock too close to 0:00.  It seems like every Packer game I watch there is at least one time where Rodgers wastes a time out hoping to get a free play.  Those time outs can become valuable late in games. 

What it all comes down to is that, yes, they probably do get more offside calls than a lot of teams, but those calls come at a price too.  I'm not too worried about it, and I don't think it's the refs being overly one-sided toward the Packers.

Nice post.  I'll elaborate just a little.  And it is going to sound like I'm defending Rodgers.  I'm not.  But, I did notice some things over the past few weeks....

Regarding that play clock.  Early in the game, Rodgers is routinely at the line with 15+ seconds left on the clock.  Sometimes the ball is snapped at that time, sometimes a little later.  It is a "cat and mouse" game that is being played.

Lately, GB has had a two possession lead in the second half.  Rodgers takes that clock down to the end and snaps the ball.  Eating clock.  Seems like GB gets really conservative when holding a lead in the second half.  And?  It kind of deflates the offense.  I'd opine that the GB offense is better when it moves faster, so slowing it down, to me, means that it is due in part to coaching.

And that kill the clock in the second half has worked and gotten wins.  Some of them are a little too close to comfort, but still it has been effective.  I think most of us Packer fans would like to see the offense be more up tempo to put a team away totally and that just hasn't happened.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, swede700 said:

Which they had absolutely no reason to complain about, considering it was a clean hit.  It just so happened that it was a clean hit that injured A-Rodg, who ridiculously whined about it.  

Nobody said it wasn't a clean hit.  It was an unnecessary hit.  The ball was long gone.  We all knew if we lost Rodgers we'd be screwed.  And we were.  When a team loses its QB its basically over.  Look at what happened to the Lions with Stafford now gone.

13 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

That hasn't worked in eons and most of us wish he'd forget about that and stop holding the damn ball so long.