Knowledgeably Rank the Potential NFL Job Openings By Desirability to HCs

Mind Character

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

Maybe if this was baseball that would matter more. But in the heavily salary-capped league, eh.

Its more than just players. He will spend to the max on assistant coaches, equipment/tools/trainers, wine and dining FA's, everything.

Hell, he built a freaking *HOSPITAL* inside of our training facility campus. A legit 100% hospital. And a hotel. 

The only thing that makes this desirable is Jerry might offer you a ton of money if you are a top candidate.

And every scout, trainer, coach, staff member, etc.

In any case - Jerry was just quoted a few days ago that he basically gets the last say in any decision and how he decides everything basically.

Nope. You misinterpreted what his point was. He was stating that the buck stops with him. He was attempting to absorb the blame for the disappointing season. And, BTW, the buck stops at the owner for literally every team in the NFL. 

If I'm a top HC candidate hearing Jerry say that isn't exactly going to make me want to coach there.

Are the Cowboys talented?

Are the Cowboys in good financial shape?

Because most people are two faced. "COWBOYS ARE SO TALENTED!" but "JERRY IS A TERRIBLE GM!"

Newsflash homie, its not possible to have it both ways. So which side are you on?

If Jerry wasn't still obsessed with having control Garrett

Jerry has given up almost all the control of football operations. 

would've been gone a long time ago, because all Garrett provides is being a yes man to him.

Garrett is going to win the division for the 3rd time in 4 years. He was nominated twice (won once) for coach of the year over the past 5 years. He completely rebuilt our team from the train wreck known as Wade Phillips. Garrett took more power away from Jerry than any coach over the past 25 years.

That said, it seems readily apparent that Garretts limitations have left us at a point where we need fresh blood to push us forward. 

Understanding that some of these won't be open

1. LAC- New stadium, decent nucleus to build around, HC would be able to pick his QBOF
2. Dallas- Great roster, likely great job security, brand
3. Atlanta- Good roster with mileage left on the key players, good ownership that doesn't meddle, probably able to draft QB in a couple years
4. Carolina*- Not as good a roster overall as Atlanta but still good enough, new QB on the way, job is open at present
5. Jacksonville- New HC could have sway with choosing GM, good roster, probably gets to pick QBOF
6. NYG- QBOF and RBOF in place, decent D, typically steady ownership, expectations may be a bit higher than reality at the moment
7. Detroit- Good nucleus but only ok overall roster, Stafford has a few good years left but if new HC wants "his guy" probably out of luck
8. Miami (in place of Chicago, because no way Chicago opens up)- Good city, ton of draft capital, rebuild is obvious so high likelihood of job security
9. NYJ- Salary cap nightmare in the making, a ton of needs, guaranteed to be saddled with Darnold for better or worse, not a great roster overall
10. Cleveland- Probably the most talented overall roster outside of Dallas on the list, but the team is cursed, morale is low, job security is virtually non-existent, expectations are likely high for a quick turnaround, key players voicing displeasure, saddled with Mayfield for better or worse
11. Washington- Absolute dumpster fire, roster is shallow and not particularly appealing, no long term building blocks evident on either side of the ball, will 100% be stuck with Haskins no matter what, highly meddlesome ownership, organizational question marks (Trent Williams saga)

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 7:26 PM, Matts4313 said:

Its more than just players. He will spend to the max on assistant coaches, equipment/tools/trainers, wine and dining FA's, everything.

Hell, he built a freaking *HOSPITAL* inside of our training facility campus. A legit 100% hospital. And a hotel. 

I mean I already said it's a factor, just nowhere near as big of a factor as you are making it out to be. If it was such a giant factor, the Cowboys wouldn't be so mediocre for the last 20+ years.

And every scout, trainer, coach, staff member, etc.

I mean pretty similar answer to what I just said. I think it's certainly a factor, but a lot more goes into this. 

Nope. You misinterpreted what his point was. He was stating that the buck stops with him. He was attempting to absorb the blame for the disappointing season. And, BTW, the buck stops at the owner for literally every team in the NFL. 

No owner is as hands on as Jerry is. It's no coincidence that the best ran franchises like the Pats and Steelers have two of the most hands off owners in the NFL when it comes to actual football decisions.

You can say all you want about him not being as hands on as a lot of people claim, and maybe there is some truth to that, but he's the GM for crying out loud. Yes the owner obviously always has the final say, but very few (if any) are involved in making football decisions as Jerry is. 

Are the Cowboys talented?

Are the Cowboys in good financial shape?

I think the Cowboys talent is overrated. Obviously there are coaches better than Garrett that could do more with the roster they currently have, but people act like they are the most loaded roster in the league and it's ONLY coaching that is keeping them from being the best team in the league.

The Cowboys are a good but not great roster. With how the NFL works, there is no guarantee that it will be this way 1-2 years from now.

Jerry has given up almost all the control of football operations. 

He's the GM of the Cowboys.

Garrett is going to win the division for the 3rd time in 4 years. He was nominated twice (won once) for coach of the year over the past 5 years. He completely rebuilt our team from the train wreck known as Wade Phillips. Garrett took more power away from Jerry than any coach over the past 25 years.

That said, it seems readily apparent that Garretts limitations have left us at a point where we need fresh blood to push us forward. 

I'm not really sure what your point is. The coach of the year is one of the biggest jokes of an award ever. If it was actually an award on who the best coach was it would be won by Belichick literally every single year for the last 20 or so years. Even the other best coaches like John Harbuagh, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll etc have not won this award in a very long time. It's basically like the comeback player of the year award but for coaches.

Garrett is really no different than a BOB or Marvin Lewis. His teams have had some great seasons, but ultimately haven't done literally anything in the playoffs. Wade Phillips had good teams (like 07 and 09) the same way Garrett has had some good teams.

Anyways I agree that the Cowboys need to move on from Garrett, but I don't really think the Cowboys are inherently desirable just because they are the Cowboys. I see a place like Jacksonville as a lot more desirable because you have 1) Way less media pressure to win right away. 2) A ton of draft picks to build the team however you want with. 3) A usually non-competitive division that isn't too difficult to win if you have a good team.

The NFL isn't like college football where the big name teams are inherently more desirable because of who they are.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, Mind Character said:

Detroit Lions,

Atlanta Falcons, 

Jacksonville Jaguars,

Cleveland Browns

New York Giants,

Dallas Cowboys,

Los Angeles Chargers,

Chicago Bears,

New York Jets,

Washington Skins

Falcons