Knowledgeably Rank the Potential NFL Job Openings By Desirability to HCs

Mind Character

Nothing is certain yet, but we're at that time when team HC job openings are coming into focus.

Had an interesting discussion with someone about which potential HC jobs on the market would be most desirable to seeking coaches. There was a stark disagreement.

Based on roster composition/talent and all things that are desirable or undesirable for coaches hoping/searching for a Head Coaching job, how would you rank the following potential 10 job openings in terms of their desirability to a coach seeking a Head Coaching job? (Not just a ranking of teams/positions based on liking or disliking)

Detroit Lions,

Atlanta Falcons, 

Jacksonville Jaguars,

Cleveland Browns

New York Giants,

Dallas Cowboys,

Los Angeles Chargers,

Chicago Bears,

New York Jets,

Washington Skins

Edited by Mind Character

22 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Nothing is certain yet, but we're at that time when team HC job openings are coming into focus.

Had an interesting discussion with someone about which potential HC jobs on the market would be most desirable to seeking coaches. There was a stark disagreement.

Based on roster composition/talent and all things that are desirable or undesirable for coaches hoping/searching for a Head Coaching job, how would you rank the following potential 10 job openings in terms of their desirability to a coach seeking a Head Coaching job? (Not just a ranking of teams/positions based on liking or disliking)

Detroit Lions,

Atlanta Falcons, 

Jacksonville Jaguars,

Cleveland Browns

New York Giants,

Dallas Cowboys,

Los Angeles Chargers,

Chicago Bears,

New York Jets,

Washington Skins

Falcons (Good Owner, Good Location, Roster isn't completely busted, QB is alright and not terribly old)

Giants (Good Owner, Good Location, Roster is trash, QB is at least young-not sure about good)

Bears (Good owner, average location, Roster is good, QB is bad and young)

Cowboys (Jerry Jones is the owner, Good Location, Roster is good, QB is young and IDK quality and about to get overpaid)

Lions (Decent Owner, Bad Location, Roster is a mix, QB is old and average)

Jaguars (Decent Owner, Bad Location, Roster is a mix, QB is at least young-not sure about good)

Chargers (Bad owner, Good Location, Roster is average, QB is average and old)

Browns (Bad Owner, Bad Location, Roster is pretty good, QB is at least young-not sure about good)

Jets (Bad owner, Good Location, Roster is mediocre, QB is young and bad)

Skins (Terrible owner, terrible location, Roster is mediocre, QB is young and bad)

• Like 2

Speaking for my team. Owner is bad, roster is stacked and as good as any in the league (not sure how someone called it average), stadium situation is not great as far as having homefield advantage, qb situation is uncertain... strenght and conditioning is horrible and solid GM, good market, good draft equity. 

I dont think Chargers will be in search of a new HC though.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I was going to respond, but I thought adding “knowledgeably” made it too big of an ask. 

If that's going to prevent you from posting, I might have to edit in "knowledgeably" into every thread title...

(I keed, I keed... you're a good poster!)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If that's going to prevent you from posting, I might have to edit in "knowledgeably" into every thread title...

Can we get a mod in here to clean this up? Who even moderates Gen anyway? I’d like to make a civilian complaint.

• Like 3

If I had to pick the Top 3 it would be this.

1. Chicago- Chicago is a beautiful city with a dedicated fan base, roster is still good and can get better and the owner doesnt meddle much at all if memory serves.

2. New York- Location is easily the worst, more and more people have opted to live in suburbs and smaller cities due to COL plus state income tax. With that said, the roster is up and coming in a big way if a coach can bring the most out of the talent. Owner is hands on but still gives the reins to the coach.

3. Dallas- Dallas should hands down be the most desirable job out there it checks all the boxes but one. No state income tax, DFW is one of the most cost friendly area out of all the major metro areas, and the roster is stacked with talent even more so then New York and Chicago. But many Head Coaches need to do things their way, they need the final say for better or for worse. So with all that said, if JG loses his job I am not entirely sure how Jerry will handle getting the next HC and whether or not he will handle the HC once he gets here. Jerry has never been able to step totally away and while Stephen I am almost certain would let the coach and McClay handle roster duties. Jerry not so much. 

But Washington is last. No matter how good a coach is, he cant coach if the owner decides who he wants on the field at any given time. Snyder is easily the worst owner in the NFL. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

Speaking for my team. Owner is bad, roster is stacked and as good as any in the league (not sure how someone called it average), stadium situation is not great as far as having homefield advantage, qb situation is uncertain... strenght and conditioning is horrible and solid GM, good market, good draft equity. 

I dont think Chargers will be in search of a new HC though.

Owner is primarily bad because he left SD. He generally stays out of football issues unless there are Marty AJ Smith situations. Otherwise the very definition of middling.

Edited by Xenos

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cowboys (Jerry Jones is the owner

Lol don't forget he's also the GM! 

Dallas should be the best job (Dan Quinn isnt getting fired imo) because that roster is full of young studs, but Jerry just cant help himself but to stir up controversy. 

I think the way he's talked about Garrett publicly has turned off some of the older, more experienced candidates 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Dallas should be the best job (Dan Quinn isnt getting fired imo)

Blank has some PSL licenses he's got to renew this offseason as well as some loans for that stadium that got built a few years ago. Can you honestly justify paying for another season's worth of tickets after how this year has gone? The entire city wanted him gone during 1-7, and I know there are jokes about the stadium being empty, but it was depressing seeing how empty it was during that losing stretch. They're playing better football now, but they were dead and boring during that losing stretch of bad football.

I like Dan as a man and as a person, but not as a coach, and especially not as an evaluator of talent. Keeping Dan is recency bias at it's finest. He has a history of his teams being streaky for periods, and then getting extremely cold when that hot streak is over. I feel like we're currently in a hot streak (the 1-7 stretch was the cold period, obviously).

You could end up being right, but I think it'd be an incredibly short-sighted move to keep Dan. Dan's 5 year history in Atlanta is fairly mediocre imo, even when you include the Super Bowl appearance.

Edited by Hukos

19 minutes ago, Hukos said:

This is completely fair and 2-3 weeks ago I would have said he was gone for sure, but they've been so much better recently. They are playing hard. I don't think Arthur blank has the stomach to fire him with how things have gone, blank seems pretty loyal and I think Quinn will be able to sell him on the 'we figured it out and I deserve another shot' angle. It will probably be a 'playoffs or you're fired' situation

You know better than me, but that's my take on it.