The good, the bad, the somehow playoff alive Raiders vs. Chargers

RaidersAreOne

I’m not too worried about missing out on the playoffs, as this team just isn’t ready and would get stomped at Arrowhead. That said, the win yesterday and chance to go to Denver and finish the season 8-8 is a positive way to end the season, and if it helps some of the younger guys learn how to win in the NFL then that can only be a good thing.

I get the allure of a higher draft pick, but let’s be honest, this isn’t like last year where a meaningless win genuinely cost us Bosa. This is a ‘picking 15th instead of 9th’ type deal. Gimme not having a losing season over 6-10 any day.

On the performance itself, it was great to have Renfrow back. The kid is just a baller and you know you’re getting 100% every time from him.

Another solid game for Ferrell, who will always be maligned for not showing up in the stats, but is clearly an effective player who is only going to improve. For years we needed safe picks rather than boom or bust types, and that’s exactly what he is. Long-term, I like him a lot.

That OL, though. Flashbacks to last year’s revolving door unit without Brown and Incognito. Hope Richie will be back next week.

• Like 1

Ferrell won’t get the flashy stats to warrant a top 5 pick but should be a solid base DE. Crosby’s play has taken away much of the heat against Ferrell draft position. I won’t be too concerned about Ferrell if Crosby continues to develop. 

• Like 1

Unless you have a chance to be in the top-5 or even top-3, I don’t see the point of tanking of any degree late in the season. We’ve seen in NFL drafts that you can draft studs anywhere at any spot. All this losing to ensure a higher pick just makes us feel there is “certainty” with a higher regarded prospect, when in reality, it’s a crapshoot no matter how you slice it. Just win baby.

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Keep crying. No one is an apologist. We’re watching the games and forming opinions. None of us have an agenda to root for or player over the team. Football is a team game and I hate reactionary fans or those quick to characterize the success of failure of the team as the output of one players performance.

Its funny that after a positive team win, only a few are silent, or in your case call the win “meaningless”. Keep rationalizing it however you want buddy. 

I'm the exact opposite of reactionary I supported Carr now I see him for what he is, and I'm done, one good game every 3 or 4 games is not going to change that anymore. I always hope the team win, but I know Carr is not the long term answer any longer that's my opinion I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billking said:

Now would we all be happy if somehow we managed to get in the playoffs and went into arrowhead and knocked out the chiefs? Kinda like 1/02/2000 if memory serves.

The only thing better than that would be knocking out the Patriots. That would be better than winning a Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, billking said:

Now would we all be happy if somehow we managed to get in the playoffs and went into arrowhead and knocked out the chiefs? Kinda like 1/02/2000 if memory serves.

The only thing better than that would be knocking out the Patriots. That would be better than winning a Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

this is literally a play design, has nothing to do with Carr and his read. 

His pre snap read should tell him what to look for.  It is a play for Waller but Carr should be reading the DB coming across the middle with Gafford.  As soon as he sees the DB looking in the backfield he should know he has a shot deep.  There should never be a single option.  If so that is bad coaching and Carr should break the script and improvise.  That play is a easy single read.  You have the shot deep or take what the defense gives you.  The defense took away Waller and Carr still threw it to him.  This is on coaching if they did not prepare him for it and on Carr if he just has no vision.  This type of play happens a lot and the problem needs to be fixed soon.  If the issue is Carr missing his reads expect someone to be brought in and possibly Carr getting cut.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

His pre snap read should tell him what to look for.  It is a play for Waller but Carr should be reading the DB coming across the middle with Gafford.  As soon as he sees the DB looking in the backfield he should know he has a shot deep.  There should never be a single option.  If so that is bad coaching and Carr should break the script and improvise.  That play is a easy single read.  You have the shot deep or take what the defense gives you.  The defense took away Waller and Carr still threw it to him.  This is on coaching if they did not prepare him for it and on Carr if he just has no vision.  This type of play happens a lot and the problem needs to be fixed soon.  If the issue is Carr missing his reads expect someone to be brought in and possibly Carr getting cut.

Well Gafford doesn’t look back at all for the ball, if Carr throws it to him odds are he doesn’t catch the ball if Carr throws it up to him. 

Once again Gruden’s offense is all about breaking a tackle and getting YAC. 

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Well Gafford doesn’t look back at all for the ball, if Carr throws it to him odds are he doesn’t catch the ball if Carr throws it up to him. 

Once again Gruden’s offense is all about breaking a tackle and getting YAC. 

Some still fail to understand this concept. This is what the offense has been for 20+ years. West coast concepts aren't new and I can't believe how many fans struggle with it.

• Like 2