Black Monday - How many?

Golfman

Garrett's contract expires January 12th or thereabout. I'm starting to think Jones will just let the contract expire and never officially announce a firing. There is also talk that Garrett will be kept in the organization under a different capacity. The whole situation is just too weird.

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Garrett's contract expires January 12th or thereabout. I'm starting to think Jones will just let the contract expire and never officially announce a firing. There is also talk that Garrett will be kept in the organization under a different capacity. The whole situation is just too weird.

Cowboys gonna roll Garrett back out there under a disguise with a new name

ENXsD46WoAI9ygC?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Yep, that’s what I came here to say.  All the blame in the media went on McCarthy.  Rodgers arguably had a better year last year than he did this year.  

He did, though it was just slightly. Still, my thinking back then was it was a mixture of McCarthy's offense + Rodgers playing through injury. This season sadly has made me realize that it wasn't the case and that this is the Rodgers we are getting from here on out. A slightly above average QB whose only real elite strength now is that he won't turn the ball over and hurt you

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep, that’s what I came here to say.  All the blame in the media went on McCarthy.  Rodgers arguably had a better year last year than he did this year.  

No matter how you slice it the defenses we put on the field from 2011 until McCarthy's era ended are not on Aaron Rodgers. McCarthy's loyalty to his coaches might bite him in the ***. I hope he gets another shot. I was not a fan of his, but think he's a very decent guy. 

4 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

He did, though it was just slightly. Still, my thinking back then was it was a mixture of McCarthy's offense + Rodgers playing through injury. This season sadly has made me realize that it wasn't the case and that this is the Rodgers we are getting from here on out. A slightly above average QB whose only real elite strength now is that he won't turn the ball over and hurt you

A conservative game manager?

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

No matter how you slice it the defenses we put on the field from 2011 until McCarthy's era ended are not on Aaron Rodgers. McCarthy's loyalty to his coaches might bite him in the ***. I hope he gets another shot. I was not a fan of his, but think he's a very decent guy. 

Is he a decent coach?  Not sure NFL should be hiring coaches if the best compliment you can give is "he is a decent guy".

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

His stubbornness is definitely his biggest issue. I also wish he'd have brought in some younger assistants from outside to help bring new ideas and a new perspective to help McCarthy continue to adjust. He mostly stuck with his old buddies which is why there wasn't a lot of change or growth from him as things started to sour over time

My stance has always been that I think McCarthy is a great leader who can command a locker room of men, and that he ran a good operation. I honestly liked his thought process when he gave up playcalling back in 2015. Wish he'd give it another go with his next gig and hire an OC and let them call plays so Mike can focus on just being the HC and with in-game management

6 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

He's turning into Alex Smith, except Smith couldn't throw deep because he didn't have an arm, whereas Rodgers cant throw deep because his accuracy and touch fell off the face of the earth

Build the defense. 

Secure the OL 

Profit

9 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

His stubbornness is definitely his biggest issue. I also wish he'd have brought in some younger assistants from outside to help bring new ideas and a new perspective to help McCarthy continue to adjust. He mostly stuck with his old buddies which is why there wasn't a lot of change or growth from him as things started to sour over time

My stance has always been that I think McCarthy is a great leader who can command a locker room of men, and that he ran a good operation. I honestly liked his thought process when he gave up playcalling back in 2015. Wish he'd give it another go with his next gig and hire an OC and let them call plays so Mike can focus on just being the HC and with in-game management

Once Philbin left for Miami,  I think the only coaches who moved up from the staff were Van pelt and Mcadoo.   Neither amounted to much of anything.

I think that a LOT of the perceived issues with McCarthy are merely perception.  Stubbornness?  Which coach isn't stubborn?  He wanted Rodgers to play his offense?  Go figure.  If McCarthy gets paired with an IMPRESSIONABLE quarterback, he's going to have a good team. 

People gotta remember that our GM(s) did McCarthy VERY few favors. 

How many free agents did Thompson bring in?  How many draft hits did Thompson have in his final 3 years? 

The people who constantly complained about Thompson are the  same ones who complained about McCarthy.  It's just funny to me.  The one thing McCarthy requested more often than anything was an athletic TE.  Gute gave him Graham.  The last time McCarthy had that tight end was Aaron's last good year.

Everyone acts like LaFleur is this huge improvement and they neglect all the additions on this team. 

Amos, Smith, Smith and Taylor are the four most significant and impactful free agents we've had since Charles Woodson. 

Everyone also hates Matthews/Perry.  That's who McCarthy had at EDGE.  Matthews I think was much better than people act like he was, but he still wasn't a top third EDGE.  And what about his secondary?  He had a safety playing corner with a groin injury (Randall) and Gunter as his starting cornerbacks in 2016.  LADARIUS ****ING GUNTER. 

Everyone here can admit that we were extremely limited in talent, everyone here will admit that Thompson lost it, stopped hitting on draft picks and didn't supplement with free agency, and yet it's all on McCarthy? 

It just doesn't add up. 

People act like we're limited at WR this year when last year we had MVS and ESB as rookies

AND, Rodgers had .4 yards more per attempt with McCarthy than he does with LaFleur. 

That's WITH the addition of Taylor and Jenkins on the OL.

Rodgers had 440 LESS passing yards this year.  And Rodgers didn't even play half of the Bears game or virtually the entire Lions game.
Rodgers completed .3% more of his pass attempts last year.
Rodgers had 1 less TD, 2 less interceptions last year.
Rodgers had 2.2 higher passer rating last year.

When are people going to admit that McCarthy was not the problem offensively? 

And don't say LaFleur got Jones involved more.  The difference is minimal.  Most importantly in that discussion is that Aaron Jones has been healthy this year.  He was NOT healthy last year.  He missed 4 games. 

Jones is averaging 14 carries a game this year.
He averaged 11 carries a game last year.
4.3 receiving targets per game 2019.
2.9 receiving targets per game 2018. 

Three more carries per game.  1.4 more receiving targets.  That's it. 

Edited by Outpost31

19 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

He's turning into Alex Smith, except Smith couldn't throw deep because he didn't have an arm, whereas Rodgers cant throw deep because his accuracy and touch fell off the face of the earth

Lol Alex Smith. Please.

This is not normal. Rodgers is still physically capable of things maybe 1-2 other QBs in the league are. His physical gifts blow Alex Smith out of the water and then some. 

I'm extremely excited to see him in year 2 with an entire off-season of re-installs and some added weapons. If he tweaks some mechanics and they dial on the concepts that we're a hair off on I still think he's fully capable of MVP numbers. 

Honestly the offense looked similar to me to the few games before Rodgers predicted we'd run the table. He knew the concepts were starting to click, just dial it in and special things could happen.